✅ SOLVED patina on K.R.F.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was brought to my attention earlier today that my understanding of how this type flint acquires patina overtime may not be correct.
Someone with what I believed to be a lot of experience with this material actually explained it exactly opposite from what I... up to this point believe.
I have several pieces here as examples as to why I believe the first layer of patina to show up is white followed by a blue hue as it thickens.
The piece I have here with the heaviest amount of patina is the only one that has started to show any blue color.
I was hoping maybe some more examples could be shown.

ForumRunner_20140102_202213.png

ForumRunner_20140102_202230.png

ForumRunner_20140102_202244.png

ForumRunner_20140102_202256.png

Judging by these examples it looks like white comes first to me.
Are these not good representatives?

ForumRunner_20140102_202311.png

Upvote 0

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The Northern Plains alkaline soils sure do patinate the KRF... I like Taylor's description and his book is awesome.

Here are some examples of KRF patina I have laying around.
Picture 1 shows the patina that formed on the upward facing side of the buried arifacts.
Picture 2 shows the downward facing side.
View attachment 926608
View attachment 926609

Last edited:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I agree. The Northern Plains alkaline soils sure do patinate the KRF... I like Taylor's description and his book is awesome.

Picture 1 shows the patina that formed on the upward facing side of the buried arifacts.

Very nice KRF artifacts couteu and they are good examples in showing the variation in patina.
Larson and Quito had some nice examples as well.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

View attachment 926608
View attachment 926609

Man you have some spectacular pieces. They really exhibit some great workmanship and the patina adds very nicely to them! Great examples!!

Jebs book has so much information in it, I think it is by far the best I have seen and or read so far on artifacts from our region.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread