Pearl Harbor day with the Kennedys!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After a morning basketball game, in which my girls learned that they have a lot of work to do, I took the halfdime children to our bank to make a deposit. While we're there, the kids check out whatever may have been discarded by the coin counting machine. There's almost always something, usually Canadian and occasionally silver. Today we did get a Canadian dime but it was all they could do not to shout out loud, "We got silver half dollars!" Along with a pocket full of change and assorted knick knacks (including an intact .22 shell), there were three Kennedy halves. The 1964, of course, is 90% and the other two are 40. Over the years I've posted Miss halfdime's finds, usually of the eyeball variety, and she's struck again! I'm adding a picture of the '64 cleaned up with toothpaste. No, I wouldn't do that to a valuable coin!

Attachments

• kennedys 001 (Small).jpg
    kennedys 001 (Small).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 143
  • kennedys 002 (Small).jpg
    kennedys 002 (Small).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 140
  • cleankennedy (Small).jpg
    cleankennedy (Small).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little shocked, who just dumps a bag of change in those machines not checking it first? Well who ever they are may they continue to do that! Congrats to you and all the Halfdimes!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm stunned - the sound of those hitting the reject slot would have rung my chimes for sure - but some are hard of hearing-
(not that there's anything wrong with that !)

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet saves!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Long live JFK. :thumbsup:
Congrats HD,
MM

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
So someone turned in a bunch of silver-

Do they still have the coins that were cashed in?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
So someone turned in a bunch of silver-

Do they still have the coins that were cashed in?

From all appearances, this wasn't a bunch of silver; my guess is that someone cashed in a messy batch of coins (some were discarded because they were stuck together with candy or gum) and they had a few that had been sitting in a drawer for a long time. Those were the Kennedys. Won't know for sure, of course, but the bank doesn't have access to the inside of the machine. From what I've been told, another company manages and empties it. Even Roseys get spit out, basically anything that deviates from the norm. Some wheats get spit out, some go through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread