πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool watch fob and nice job researching it! I love it when such a connection can be made to a find. :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin and relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch fob and skeleton key! Along with lead toy soldier, my three favorite things to find.

Congrats on the nice finds.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a REALLY cool find in my book! I was born and raised in Pekin IL and I actually know pretty much where that Wagon Works was, the building is long gone though, like so much of the industry that was once there. It was owned by Henry Herget, who started the bank my mom worked at, and owned the mill where my grandfather worked. He's an interesting guy and worth reading up on.... Herget, Henry George

pekin_wagon_works_f.jpg
Here's another view of the area showing where my great grandparents lived in an old houseboat on the river bank. They lived in the white boat closest to the bridge, and my great grandfather's brother owned the fish market at the far left....
pekin.JPG

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more history, the company was known as Smith Wagon before Herget bought it (he worked there early in his life) and was located at 3rd and Margaret Sts, when I got to thinking about it I remembered there was an old junkyard there when I was very young that my grandfather took in newspapers to for recycling. I can't imagine they paid much, but every month we would go down there and he's sell all the papers he'd collected from wherever he could find them. If I'm thinking right one of the wagon company buildings may have still been standing either there or really close by. That would have been early 1970's, I seem to remember that place being gone by the time I was around 10, in 1980.

Strange how something like a watch fob got me thinking about old places where I grew up that I'll be a lot of people my age wouldn't even know existed anymore. I spent the last hour looking up the history of the place (and found the site of an old town that was long ago plowed under into cornfields... may have to go home for a visit) but that's one of the things I love about this hobby, the random finds that bring up forgotten history.

wagonworks1873.jpg

Attachments

• 1899 Smith close - sized with text copy.jpg
    1899 Smith close - sized with text copy.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 44

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt with some really good finds.
I enjoy turning up old marbles while recovering targets. That skeleton key and the I.H.P.'s would have made most hunts complete. Finding that fob is the cream on the cake.
Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread