Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped here in the northern San Luis Valley. The Penitentes were active in this area and sometimes used the canyon for Semana Santa ceremonies. Some years back, some of them hung down from the rim on tire swings and painted a mural of the Virgen de la Guadalupe. Above her head they wrote, 'Con Sufrimiento y Consuelo'. Or maybe 'Consuelo y Espiritu'. Later on, somebody came along and used it for target practice, destroying her face. Great place to camp, but had to throw up a quick shelter for the storm that was comin in. Promised rain, but didn't deliver. Check out the pictographs, which are probably prehistoric Apache.

Attachments

• 6-4bb.jpg
    6-4bb.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 6-4cc.jpg
    6-4cc.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 6-4jj.jpg
    6-4jj.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 6-4ll.jpg
    6-4ll.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 6-4nn.jpg
    6-4nn.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful area to take photos! :occasion14:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your idea of camping is a lot like mine no tent only tarp needed if rain coming. Folks who know me think I'm crazy but I like being out in the open gives me a better feeling on the outside world. The Search.jpg

Last edited:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures, I love that last one. There are a lot of interesting things to explore around there. Did you see any snakes, the locals would always warn us of rattlers in that area when my wife and I lived in Alamosa. There was a big Native American war to the south of there.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! It's interesting in the way you set up your bedroll protection. Some of the nomad prehistoric Indians would use a buffalo hide in the same manner. I found one such site similar, but was surrounded on all side, and was about three feet deep. You kind of had to jump into the small area, (about eight foot by ten foot. I found a projectile point with one notch (Possibly not finished) ,and a scraper in the bottom. It was sandy at the bottom.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures, I love that last one. There are a lot of interesting things to explore around there. Did you see any snakes, the locals would always warn us of rattlers in that area when my wife and I lived in Alamosa. There was a big Native American war to the south of there.

Were was this Native American war located if I might ask and who with.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were was this Native American war located if I might ask and who with.
Sorry cyzak, I cant find anything to back up what I said. Maybe I heard it from the locals, or maybe I read it somewhere. It sure sticks out in my memory. I remember it was in the flat part north of the Rio Grande before you get to the foothills. West of Del Norte and North. It might have been just because someone found more points than usual. I will keep looking for for something to reference:)

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry cyzak, I cant find anything to back up what I said. Maybe I heard it from the locals, or maybe I read it somewhere. It sure sticks out in my memory. I remember it was in the flat part north of the Rio Grande before you get to the foothills. West of Del Norte and North. It might have been just because someone found more points than usual. I will keep looking for for something to reference:)

No problem what so ever there were quite a few Indian wars in that area back in the day it was always and interesting place to go for a walk about.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am drooling what an adventure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread