PENNSYLVANIA?S LOST

dudley1953

Jul 20, 2010
I lived in the area for many years. (50) plus. have spent many hours as a youth playing on parkers tomb,never knowing the real storys behind it. now I live many states west, and find this story facinating! I have been researching lost treasures for awhile now and will give my input. The written lore says the silver is 2 1/2 miles NE of crosby pa on potato river. 1st there is no potato river, it is potato creek. 2nd to travel to the crosby area at that time,you would have went to johnsons crossing, about 2 miles from port allegany, or canoe place as it was known back then. and up combs creek,ov
er the crosry hill, and down the white hollow area into crosby. at the time the were no roads through the scafold lick region. there is no way col. parker traveled this route. if he had,he would have just put in the allegany river and contiuned to canada. I believe he hid the silver as told. Now picture this. if you travel out of gardue, NE 2 1/2 miles on PORTAGE creek, witch connects gardue to port allegany, you will find parker tomb! Go to google earth, type gardue and click on ruler. map 2 1/2 miles NW and see. Then viset the area. you will find the tomb mentioned. col parker was a unique person. He loved the attention the silver brought then, and still brings. Most thought he may have it buryed with him. Lots of grave robbers over the years have proved that wrong. I personaly have been inside his vault on many occations, as someone had ripped open the door. The family finally had it sealed, not to protect the treasure, just to let Col parker rest in peace. I believe the silver, if any is left, is under the floor, or close nearby. This was the Cols. nature, knowing that someday it would be found, and he would have the final laugh, as it was right there all the time. If you want a good starting place, find a way to look right under his nose! just my thoughts. this is my first time here and hope to come back as this is a great site. I may come back and share a story I know is true ,about a hermit who lived in the same area, and his buryed hard earned money, over many years, that has also never been found

zergkiller007

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
I am new to these forums and new to treasure hunting, but I am going to try and start somewhere....

Go big or go home right?

If anyone has any info that is not posted here, or would be willing to help in any way please feel free to contact me.

Sassylass1973

Jul 18, 2011
Im just wondering if anyone is still making trips looking for this. or planning any metal detecting and maybe want to get a group together.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Getting a group together sounds like a good idea, but it would probably need to wait until spring. Research would need to be done on where to detect, permission would need to be obtained to detect, etc.

Sassylass1973

Jul 18, 2011
doverturtle said:
Getting a group together sounds like a good idea, but it would probably need to wait until spring. Research would need to be done on where to detect, permission would need to be obtained to detect, etc.

I would be interested. I live in Butler Pa about 130 miles from that area. My metal detector isnt great but by next spring I could get a better one. Plus that gives us the time to research and get permission.

Tiffany

zergkiller007

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
I would SOOOOO be up for forming a team...
However, Metal detecting may not be really useful. Knowing those old folks, they probably buried that stuff deep... like 5ft at least. And if that person from the above posts is not telling tales, if they used a pulley to lower it, and with the amount of time it may be down there quite far... *BUT* its still worth a try...
I live in the Dubois Area currently, but i am from the Galeton Area, and visit it regularly...
If I could help anyone out it would be awesome, You can Email me [email protected]
I would love to hear ideas and ANY other information.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count me in ...I also live in DuBois

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi guys and gals, I have been following your posts on this topic and want you to know if anyone wants to poke around Gardeau, I have been there many times and would be willing to serve as a "guide" for anyone who wants to go there. I live in Coudersport and can be contacted at [email protected]. Let me know if you want to come this way and I will make plans to explore with you all...potter poker

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

I've researched this story for many years; the details are interesting. Francis Scully picked up on a newspaper story from the 1950's about Blackbeard's treasure cave in McKean County that was highly embellished and further distorted it making the story almost entirely worthless except for the fact that it made folks aware that perhaps a treasure was brought to the area. I've hunted treasure for nearly 50 years as a hobby and have found more than my fair share I suppose. Examine the facts of the story as it is related on the Internet.

Last edited:

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
TreasureWriter! I agree with you and all you say I've gave thought to also. I myself wouldn't give any time to this story. Except a good friend of mine was one of those crazy treasure hunters who had to go for this one. He and a friend of his went into the Pa. woods there to have a go at it and he told me that he and his friend did find these silver bars. And I was close enough to him to know he did try to find it again. He didn't lay up any marks to find it again the 1'st time he found it and couldn't return to the same place again. He spent the rest of his life and many trips there trying to find it. I believe that both these men were sure of what they were looking at. In fact he had me go over with him several time to have a go. At this time I'd have to put this legend out of mind and go with what these fellows saw!!! My brother and a friend went there this last year for a look and he didn't get to were he wanted to be even though he'd been there many times before? He may get a chance to go at it again next year. There is one place we have to check out before we turn our info over to other hunters. Again my only interist is what my friends claim they saw, with that I can add no more. GOOD LUCK!

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
It is kind of hard to believe that someone would find silver bars and not take at least one of them out of the woods with him.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Yes fellows! I asked my friend this question several times and all he'd do is look at me with a red face and bitch, more at himself then me. He thought he could find the place again so didn't place up any monuments to led him to it again. But he and the fellow with him saw the bars and he said they were the 70/80 lbs. size stacked like cord wood. I ask how can 2 fellows be mistaken about that! I know he spent the rest of his days looking to find it again every chance he got. Later.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
TreasureWriter! I reread your post and see where you say a BLACKBEARD TREASURE CAVE! I never told anyone this before. But that is where the bars were found by my friends. (A CAVE) A wagon could be driven near the top of it where a hole was located and the bars droped down to the floor of cave and stacked. So that's what your looking for fellows. If there is any truth to the story my friend told me, and I believe there is! That will even back up their story. Only I won't tell just where he was looking and I found a cave there. (but haven't been inside yet) Till I can get back and check the cave out. That will be my secret. Do know when I was over there with my friend looking, he didn't mention a cave that was his secret. I didn't put that together till sometime later, he always refurd to a hidden vally. This may add light on the legend. Maybe someday someone will find it, Will it be you?

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

This treasure does stir the imagination. The term "cave" was actually referred to by Shoemaker in his 1950's news article entitled "Treasure Cave a McKean County Mystery".

Last edited:

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to Gardeau this week to do some photography. Parker's Tomb was easy to find but I couldn't locate the old Parker Sanitarium.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread