Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do we credit the Fed for no inflation too? ......even though prices on everything have been going up??

Prices on what is going up?

Inflation is hovering around 1.2% about one third of where it was 2 years ago. And lower than any time since 2002.

One of the reasons you can't get any yield out of CDs at your local bank.

And, yes, credit the Fed. The Fed controls interest rates. Interest rates control inflation.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Ah, he lives in backwards land.

As soon as you say ACA is a "republican passed law", you throw out all credibility.

When the ACA was passed, we had a democrat president, a democrat controlled senate (Harry Reid - then Senate Majority Leader - is democrat, so the democrats were in control of the senate) and a democrat controlled House of Representatives (Nancy Pelosi - then Speaker of the House - is a democrat, so the majority membership of the House of Representatives was democrat).

How does that make the ACA a "REPUBLICAN PASSED LAW?"

Too many herbs? Too much of something ... I sense many dead brain cells.

Chad, as much as i hate to say it, you are right! I got the timeline wrong. Or confused it with one of the many fights over ACA since. Regardless, I was wrong. I will stop saying ACA is a republican passed bill.

Thanks for helping me keep it real!!!!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad, as much as i hate to say it, you are right! I got the timeline wrong. Or confused it with one of the many fights over ACA since. Regardless, I was wrong. I will stop saying ACA is a republican passed bill.

Thanks for helping me keep it real!!!!

Good job chadeaux!!! Lollol

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prices on what is going up? Inflation is hovering around 1.2% about one third of where it was 2 years ago. And lower than any time since 2002. One of the reasons you can't get any yield out of CDs at your local bank. And, yes, credit the Fed. The Fed controls interest rates. Interest rates control inflation.

Look, everything we buy has been raising in price. It started when gas prices were going up and hasn't stopped. Even when gas prices drop for a little while, everything else affected by transportation costs stays up. The cost of food is up, taxes are up, everything is. The Fed is playing with the numbers on inflation just like they have done on unemployment. When you print more money, the value of the dollar drops and buys less regardless of what you do with interest rates. Now that may not be your definition of inflation, but to those on fixed income, the pain is just as great, and the working person gets squeezed too..

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree WV. You would think with a Huge downturn in new construction prices would fall. That would be normal. But I have found prices of materials UP. And labor is staying somewhat steady.

Inflation is real.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
WVP, I like your post though i disagree with your take that the govt is playing with the numbers. The consequences of doing that are way too dire to even think about it being a possibility. And, the economy is responding positively to to the Fed's policy.

Though the Fed's numbers are what they are they don't take into account pockets of local inflation. It is a possibility that what you are experiencing is on a local level. Speaking for my neck of the woods, not seeing prices increases right now.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Good job chadeaux!!! Lollol

Dave, When i'm wrong i admit it. No problem, I just confused something i heard with the facts. I admitted I got it wrong, it's called taking the high road. Now we move forward.

Perhaps more here should do the same rather than argue misfacts and wrong information into the ground. For example, as one poster did recently - confused the secretary of the treasury with the fed chairman. He refused to back off his wrong statements and admit he got it wrong. More amazing were people supporting his wrong statements. So we'll leave it that I've got plenty of company.

There is only one high road. If taking it costs me a little egg on my face I'm OK with that. Ethics don't take a day off!

I would suggest to you and others that attacking the high road, does not speak well of you. Nor does it make you right.

Let's move forward.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, everything we buy has been raising in price. It started when gas prices were going up and hasn't stopped. Even when gas prices drop for a little while, everything else affected by transportation costs stays up. The cost of food is up, taxes are up, everything is. The Fed is playing with the numbers on inflation just like they have done on unemployment. When you print more money, the value of the dollar drops and buys less regardless of what you do with interest rates. Now that may not be your definition of inflation, but to those on fixed income, the pain is just as great, and the working person gets squeezed too..

Everything down here is going up especially food prices.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, When i'm wrong i admit it. No problem, I just confused something i heard with the facts. I admitted I got it wrong, it's called taking the high road. Now we move forward.

Perhaps more here should do the same rather than argue misfacts and wrong information into the ground. For example, as one poster did recently - confused the secretary of the treasury with the fed chairman. He refused to back off his wrong statements and admit he got it wrong. More amazing were people supporting his wrong statements. So we'll leave it that I've got plenty of company.

There is only one high road. If taking it costs me a little egg on my face I'm OK with that. Ethics don't take a day off!

I would suggest to you and others that attacking the high road, does not speak well of you. Nor does it make you right.

Let's move forward.

Then I suggest you look a couple of posts previous to Chadeauxs'. It is also telling where your comment was placed.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, When i'm wrong i admit it. No problem, I just confused something i heard with the facts. I admitted I got it wrong, it's called taking the high road. Now we move forward. Perhaps more here should do the same rather than argue misfacts and wrong information into the ground. For example, as one poster did recently - confused the secretary of the treasury with the fed chairman. He refused to back off his wrong statements and admit he got it wrong. More amazing were people supporting his wrong statements. So we'll leave it that I've got plenty of company. There is only one high road. If taking it costs me a little egg on my face I'm OK with that. Ethics don't take a day off! I would suggest to you and others that attacking the high road, does not speak well of you. Nor does it make you right. Let's move forward.

Maybe I should clarify that my comment about the Fed is much broader than Federal Reserve, I am talking about the Federal Government and it's current policies in general.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
The Federal Government controls short term interest rates. The rest is controlled by us.

For example - the Fed has set interest rates at approximately zero. Bankers in your area decide zero is a number they like and start to lend money at a low rate. This drives a building boom which in turn drives prices for building supplies.

Prices are set by the market, not the government.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A building boom would be a great thing to go along with the extra costs of materials,,, when will that start?

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Dave, Lumber trades on the Chicago merc. It's price is set by supply and demand. That lumber is up tells us either there is a shortage or there is greater demand. My guess, a little of both.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, Lumber trades on the Chicago merc. It's price is set by supply and demand. That lumber is up tells us either there is a shortage or there is greater demand. My guess, a little of both.

Yeah NF, that could be.. It could also be that it is a commodity,, subject to fluctuations in US dollar value. Short sighted to think everything is driven only by supply and demand. There are other factors to be considered.

Lumber trades on the "Chicago Merc"???? Isn't that where the carbon credits were supposed to be traded? Really though, Nice attempt at a condescending post, again.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have seen,, Plywood prices fluctuate By a factor of 3 on and off. The general board ft price leveled and seemed to start an upward trend even during what appeared to be a full scale depression in housing starts. As the housing starts started to grow country wide the material prices have trended steadily upwards.

In 2004 I could get a home package from one supplier at about 32$ ft. In 2007 about 36$, a slight leveling through 2008 and 9. And that supplier wants about 50$ a foot now. Your location may vary a small amount, but the trend has more into it than supply and demand.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Federal Government controls short term interest rates. The rest is controlled by us. For example - the Fed has set interest rates at approximately zero. Bankers in your area decide zero is a number they like and start to lend money at a low rate. This drives a building boom which in turn drives prices for building supplies. Prices are set by the market, not the government.

It isn't quite that simple. First we have not seen any building boom result from the interest rate schemes. Also you must have forgotten that Government regulation increases manufacturer's costs. Businesses are not going to just eat those costs because they have to meet expectations of stockholders. The result is higher prices for the goods and services they sell in order to cover the increase in costs. The consumer is the one who gets hurt. On top of all of this we have to pay higher taxes to cover the cost of big government so it can regulate more things.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't quite that simple. First we have not seen any building boom result from the interest rate schemes. Also you must have forgotten that Government regulation increases manufacturer's costs. Businesses are not going to just eat those costs because they have to meet expectations of stockholders. The result is higher prices for the goods and services they sell in order to cover the increase in costs. The consumer is the one who gets hurt. On top of all of this we have to pay higher taxes to cover the cost of big government so it can regulate more things.

The best way to get the economy healthy and growing is get a lot of the gov regulations out of it. The more the gov regulates it the worst the economy gets. Free enterprise is self substaining.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread