Penny CRH. Maybe its a dumb question.....

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im half way done with my first ever $25 penny box. Found a few wheat and what I am hoping is a 1969D missing initials and a lot of pre 1982 pennies. My question is, should i keep pre-1982 pennies for copper (even though we cant melt them yet?)

If you can afford to stack the copper pennies and you dont need whatever total Face Value - FV that you found I would say keep them 100%. As you collect more and more you can sell them either locally or on Ebay for approximately 1.4-1.8x their face value. This essentially meens you can turn a profit - $100 FV can sell between $150-180 and maybe more in the future as the price of copper fluctuates and increases.

No one melts these pennies but there are quite a few people who hoard them for a day when they can be sold at 2.2(or more) above face value - making quite a bit of money in the process.

Bottom line, if you can spare the money, stack the metals!

EDIT: also its not a dumb question at all. If you have a question you can research it or ask someone here. Sometimes people can be a-holes but dont let them get you down. The majority of us here are here to help!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
SilverHoarder07 said:
If you can afford to stack the copper pennies and you dont need whatever total Face Value - FV that you found I would say keep them 100%. As you collect more and more you can sell them either locally or on Ebay for approximately 1.4-1.8x their face value. This essentially meens you can turn a profit - $100 FV can sell between $150-180 and maybe more in the future as the price of copper fluctuates and increases.

No one melts these pennies but there are quite a few people who hoard them for a day when they can be sold at 2.2(or more) above face value - making quite a bit of money in the process.

Bottom line, if you can spare the money, stack the metals!

EDIT: also its not a dumb question at all. If you have a question you can research it or ask someone here. Sometimes people can be a-holes but dont let them get you down. The majority of us here are here to help!

+ 1, I would agree with that too! HH, Maverick.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
If you are not concerned with returning the box and only getting about 80% back, then absolutely keep them.

You can always cash out if you need the money but if you save enough for $100 FV, you can sell for a profit mentioned in previous post on eBay.

Best to you
MU

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
You can keep them if your budget allows you too - i stockpiled 110 pounds of copper cents and dont add on to it anymore (i only keep wheats now) because there is SO much copper.

portcitymarvels

Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently started keeping pre 1982 pennies however I just find them around my house and such. Can't afford to stockpile now however I do believe this penny thing will strike it big someday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread