Penny Hunters

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question.

Say that you have roughly 500 cents in BU condition that have never been circulated, Blood Red (Some), perfect edges and
so on. All cents are between 1957 and 1964. Do these carry a premium when you sell them in bulk?

Are they treated differently then those found in the wild?

I am just trying to wrap my head around this whole penny idea. I cull all the old copper cents I can find but I keep them
seperate from the others mentioned above.

Any insight would be extremely helpful. I have thought about wrapping them and selling on FeePay, Placing in a coin safe container and keeping for another 15 years.

Guess my question is what do I do with them? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have kept my red cents separate from the other coppers, but so far have found no premium in them at all.

Of course, the 1957 will be worth a little more than the 1964, just because of them being wheat vs memorial. BUt red or BU so far hasn't given me anything extra. Just my experience.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be that in another 20 years or something that memorial cents in nice condition will become like wheat cents, since the reverse has changed now. BU common date wheat cents from the e.g. 40s are worth maybe a quarter? 50 cents? Not a fortune, but the cost of hanging on to them is basically nothing.

I don't keep coppers generally, but I feel stupid if I run across some pretty red cent from 1961 and throw it back, but hang on to a crappy looking one from 1957 just because of a design change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread