Penny to be redsigned in 2009.

Scott B,

thanks for the post.

Think it was interesting that,

"We need to emphasize that his presidency
coincided with the Civil War," said John Alexander,
a history professor at the University of Cincinnati.
That viewpoint prevailed on an 8-2 vote."

Should go over bigtime in the South.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Where's all those stories saying that the penny was going away for good?

Are they not going to have a 'Gettysburg' scene?

Lets have a 'Crossed Flags'(Old Glory/Confederate)

warsawdaddy said:
Lets have a 'Crossed Flags'(Old Glory/Confederate)

RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just joking. I think it's a great idea. It's a shame that it will never happen in this country. Too many "ignorants" walking among us.

Let's go back to the large cents. I know the price of copper is high so lets just make them out of soap.

This is my personal oppion and I mean no disrespect to anyone.... I feel that the Emancipation depiction is a bad idea..I liked the log cabin idea or even the Military one, those are more of a neutral ground for all.. I think that there will be allot of discontent for some if that one was used.
WHY CONTINUE TO CREATE CONFLICT??

"TR"

These undated handout artist renderings provided by the U.S. Mint shows four of the designs under consideration to replace the 'tails' side of the Abraham Lincoln penny. during the 2009 observance of the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth and 100th anniversary of the introduction of the Lincoln penny. To commemorate the event, the U.S. Mint, at the direction of Congress, will introduce four rotating designs on the one-cent coin for that year depicting different aspects of Lincoln's life. The designs will replace the engraving of the Lincoln Memorial on the 'tails' side of the coin. The famous profile of Lincoln will remain on the 'heads' side of the coin.

!capt.jpg
!Copy of !capt.jpg

The news brief shoulda read "Penny to be abolished in 2009." Seriously, they were talkin about doing away with the cent in Coin World Magazine back in the early 90's. Think of how much in the way of taxpayers dollars they could save by not making 4 billion pennies...

Buckleboy

They should just make the pennies out of aluminum and be done with it. Worked fine for 1 yen pieces.

BuckleBoy said:
The news brief shoulda read "Penny to be abolished in 2009." Seriously, they were talkin about doing away with the cent in Coin World Magazine back in the early 90's. Think of how much in the way of taxpayers dollars they could save by not making 4 billion pennies...

Buckleboy

Just this year were articles in CoinAge covering the pro's and con's of abolishing the one-cent coin. It certainly would save money to do away with it, but then again the penny's a bit of an icon as well. Another thing that boggles my mind is the dollar coin. Starting with the Ike Dollar, every mintage of a Dollar coin has been a flop. Why? because the dollar bill continued to circulate alongside it. No mintage of a dollar coin will ever be successful as long as the dollar bill circulates concurrently, which makes the new dollar coins into oddities as they are produced and subjects them to hoarding. I'm in favor of a dollar coin over a bill. A bill lasts on the average of 18 months while a coin's average life is 28 YEARS!. Even longer in some cases if you check the dates in your pocket change. What would cost less in the long run? If it were up to me, I'd pull the $1 bill and start producing $1 and $2 coins like Canada did. The $2 coin would be necessary to break change for a five on small purchases. Not only would it save money on the long term in production costs, but it would also lead to some more lucrative clad finds.....but how to put a dollar coin in a g-string? Now there's a whole new problem to consider if the bill goes away.

Just my 2-cent's worth!!

SgtSki in MI said:
but how to put a dollar coin in a g-string? Now there's a whole new problem to consider if the bill goes away.

Paper I.O.U.'s

But remember Inflation
it's $2.00 a shot.

Of course you could drill a hole in a coin,
tie a string to it, throw it on stage
and pull it back for the next round ;)

One thing I do notice about this penny which bothers me is. The "In god we trust" which has been on pretty much ever coin minted, is missing from it.. just quietly taken off... why? because of a few whiners who didn't like it?

I am not a very religious person in any mean way shape or form but the principle of it really pisses me off when they start playing that stupid game because of a few.

Oh and Jeff of Pa when you pull on that string to get your coin back, does it make a popping sound kind of like the cork on a champagne bottle :D

Aaron

Ascholten said:
One thing I do notice about this penny which bothers me is. The "In god we trust" which has been on pretty much ever coin minted, is missing from it.. just quietly taken off... why? because of a few whiners who didn't like it?

I am not a very religious person in any mean way shape or form but the principle of it really pisses me off when they start playing that stupid game because of a few.

Oh and Jeff of Pa when you pull on that string to get your coin back, does it make a popping sound kind of like the cork on a champagne bottle :D

Aaron

Relax... the phrase "In God We Trust" will still be there, along with "Liberty". It's on the obverse of the cent, the side that isn't going to be modified in 2009.

As for the penny being eliminated.... it won't be, as long as the government fears inflation. The cent is the canary in the coal mine, the first thing to croak if the gov'ment can't control the falling value of the almighty dollar. As long as the government wants to keep the economy looking rosy, the penny must stay alive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back