Coin grade and price question. PL,MS

rscottbc

Greenie
Mar 6, 2007
BC
Hi i was looking at some of the coins and that on eBay. there is one thing that is confusing me when i was looking threw my coin book, why is the proof like coins that are still sealed up in plastic worth way less in most cases then a coin that is in Mintstate. unless i am wrong the PF is in better condition then the mint state right? the MS ones could have been in circulation right?

FredCobol

Apr 6, 2007
Chandler, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, White's MXT Pro, White's Coinmaster 2 TR Deluxe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proof Coins (indicated by a PF grade) are specially minted coins for collectors. They are struck from special highly polished dies and are not released into circulation.

Regular Strike coins are those minted for circulation. They can be graded from Poor 1 to Mint State (MS) 70.

Collectors usually consider these two different types as completely different coins. Sometimes the MS coins demand a higher price because it is harder to find them in near perfect condition since they were struck from dies that were not designed to make them look perfect and then they were put into circulation.

You may be confused about the term “Proof Like”. Proof Like does not mean Proof. A Proof Like coin is a regular strike coin that is very shiny and has the appearance of a proof coin.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FredCobol said:
Proof Coins (indicated by a PF grade) are specially minted coins for collectors. They are struck from special highly polished dies and are not released into circulation.

Regular Strike coins are those minted for circulation. They can be graded from Poor 1 to Mint State (MS) 70.

Collectors usually consider these two different types as completely different coins. Sometimes the MS coins demand a higher price because it is harder to find them in near perfect condition since they were struck from dies that were not designed to make them look perfect and then they were put into circulation.

You may be confused about the term “Proof Like”. Proof Like does not mean Proof. A Proof Like coin is a regular strike coin that is very shiny and has the appearance of a proof coin.
Agreed well said

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Remember: "Proof" refers to what kind of coin it is, not its condition. A worn, scratched proof coins is still a proof, just a very sorry-looking proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread