people who lived through the depression

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I called into my office today. One of the other attorneys' client passed away last weekend, and this week, he has had the unenviable task of cleaning the house out. The old man (he was 94) had lived through the depression, and apparently didn't trust banks. While cleaning and emptying the trash out of the house, my associate has found cash and coins (not counting the numerous antiques)

It all started when they were moving a broken chair in the living room, so they could move some of the trash bags out... and the chair "tinkled". My associate said he heard the sound of coins from inside the chair... and when he started looking, he started finding cash.
Having dealt with the eccentricites of older people before, he started checking everything before throwing it out, or moving it.

So far, the total is up to around $3,500 in paper money, and literally thousands of coins. the old man had layed out cash (in neat, orderly rows) under the living room rug. He stashed cash in books, taped under drawers, in clothes... just about everywhere you could think of (and a few places you wouldn't). He had coffee-cans full of coins, stacked in neat rows under his "claw foot" tub, In the closets... Pouches of coins under the couches, chairs, and inside the actual upholstery. And my associate hasn't even made it into the basement or attic yet!

I'm hoping to get some pics of all the stuff laid out. It still has to be cataloged and inventoried (along with antiques and the other items of the estate) for the probate court.

steve

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Into the 60's,my uncle always kept at least $5000 buried in the yard.Many people do and myself(born in '35)also keep a little stash.Our family was well off until the crash and everything was lost.That was before FDIC and banks couldn't meet the payouts.It may or may not ever happen again but don't think it couldn't.Research this;what if the country went back on the gold standard?That would mean,no more credit,credit cards,everything would be a cash business.With the amount of credit outstanding in this country,we would go bellyup real quick.It could happen as one potential candidate is advocating going to the gold standard again.He won't be nominated,but that is scary.There's a whole lot more money out there than the gold standard could cover.Worthless money?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
warsawdaddy,

"myself(born in '35)"

:-* You make me feel.................

a bit younger. ;D ;)

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Going back on the gold standard would limit the suppy of money,but it would preserve the value of money.Before we went off the gold standard the purchasing power of the dollar remained constant for a 150 years,since that time the dollar has lost more than 90% of it's purchasing power.Inflation has destroyed every every paper or fiat currency in the past.The dollar will be no exception,especially now that the money supply has been increasing at a double digit pace.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story Spez! What is to become of all the riches and antiques? HH, Mike

OP
OP
spez401

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
mike
I wish I knew. he's still in the early stages of the probate. everything will have to be inventoried and cataloged, regardless, for the court. then, depending on the will and the court, it will probably be appraised, and then distributed to the heirs or sold.

i'll keep everyone informed.

steve

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
From the people I've talked to, most folks who lived through the depression are known as "hoarders & packrats" because they don't want to be "without" again. My dad is 85, and has more "junk" than 10 people should. It isn't "collectible", it's rummage & yard-sale "junk" that he buys & takes home simply because he thought he got it at a "deal", piles of electronics, and other stuff that he'll usually find-out didn't work (which is why he got a "deal" on it).

Smitty

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool!

If you collect coins you have a stash. Think about it.

I'm keeping every coin I ever find, putting it in a cache and bury it before I die. I'll put the map in a treasure hunting book at the library. :o

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
When I was a kid, there was a guy everyone called Pop Bottle Pete. All he ever did was go around finding coke bottles, or people would give him bottles. He was a bum as far as everyone knew. When he died, they literally found thousands, and thousands of dollars he had stashed away. It just goes to show, you never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread