Will this Merc get me back on track?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Haven't been posting because the finds have been mediocre; another ten days before cottage leases expire and I can harvest the silver around them ;D. I did a slow search this morning in an area below the old farmhouse, right along the creek, that looked promising. I managed a few wheats, including one from the 20's, then got a broken signal that doesn't usually mean much. I was in a "dig every signal" mindset, so I did, and was surprised to find this 19S Merc. I think it was on its side, because silver dimes ring loud and true, usually. There is also this unusual key (maybe a mailbox?) that has an address on it. The frustration of the day was a solid quarter signal that yielded...nothing! I had already gone over the options in my head: Washington, maybe Barber, or even SLQ, but nothing. Seldom do I have signals like that disappear, unless a small piece of foil at the surface causes it. Can't say what caused it, but it wasn't a quarter :'(.

Attachments

• merkey (2).jpg
    merkey (2).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully some silver will put you back in the saddle! I love finding the early Mercs--I've found more than my share of the 1940's ones. Mercs from the teens are always a treat.

I always try to make sure I find signals that peg that strong. Sometimes coins get turned sideways in the loose dirt. I take all of the loose dirt out of the hole and stir it around and scan it. Sometimes it is a piece of iron with its halo busted (part of the fun of using a Fisher), but if your ID machine were giving you a good reading then it might have been a really tiny, really shallow piece of foil or other junk.

Buckleboy

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It looks like you're back on track to me. I find that many of my silver dime finds give off a broken signal. The signal is unmistakable on my machine when not much trash is around. But with lots of trash around, I pass of them over.

HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shoot....I'd like to have some of your "off track" day's....Sweet find!!!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I am going to shake this magic 8 ball till it says "yes"! 8)

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
A merc always gets a person in a better mindset and back on the silver track..... nuttin like seein that glint of silver in the dirt.... I found a '19 the other day... but no S... congrats

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Sweet Merc! That's what keeps you pumping!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread