Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting this location for a while now. Finds are usually far and few between. My first ever largie came from here. Its an 1848, and to date, it's in better condition than any of my other large cents. Of course I started a grid immediately. Found an 1816 largie, some strange shaped pieces of metal (one turned out to be a kettle point), a small item that said "watch makers and jewelers", and a beautiful 1903 Barber dime.

The next day I came back and found an interesting spill with two 1800 bust largies, a 1788 1/2 reale, and some lead pieces, one of which appears to be a hand carved lead sinker. This location is near a river so I assume the individual was trying to catch lunch, but ended up loosing a months worth of pay!

When I got home as trashed the "junk", recycled the scrap metal and cleaned the good finds. Browsing Tnet I come across a banner find with the some thing called a Narragansett brass kettle point. Guess what I just got done putting in the recycling
bin?!?! That strange shaped piece
of metal (aka brass kettle point)! I was at work, but luckily my fiancé was home and after some digging through the bin was able to find it before the bin was emptied by the city. Lesson learned - never throw any finds away unless you are 1000% certain it's trash.

Turns out the location I've been hunting was home to the Pequot Indians. There you have it, a Pequot
brass kettle point. Thanks for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420804802.757858.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420805122.980507.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420804835.588920.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420804848.073455.jpg

Upvote 22

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covered a lot of bases there bud. Great hunt on a great site

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice finds. The LCs are really nice. Congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all GREAT SAVE! You owe the future Mrs a big favour for being there and saving the point.

Great hunts you had, getting the spill with the half Reale, and the watch winder type item, along with the coppers.

The kettle point might not look like much to many but it's great find and deserves a place up on top as the last one did. I'm including the link that is off TN on the banner find.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...indian-point-coppers-reale-eagle-buttons.html
The vote is in on the point!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a awesome hunt! Congrats on that point! All the LCs look in great shape and 2 silvers. That's what I want to to find when I go out. HH!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day of detecting and doing some detective work to save the point. I expect to see it at the top today.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic assortment of finds, but the kettle point is the clear best find of them all!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the kettle point and coins! You have been cleaning up lately, keep it up!

Steve

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds period, the point is stellar, congrats

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the silver George and large cents :D :treasurechest:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all GREAT SAVE! You owe the future Mrs a big favour for being there and saving the point.

Great hunts you had, getting the spill with the half Reale, and the watch winder type item, along with the coppers.

The kettle point might not look like much to many but it's great find and deserves a place up on top as the last one did. I'm including the link that is off TN on the banner find.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...indian-point-coppers-reale-eagle-buttons.html
The vote is in on the point!
Saddly when it comes to this type of find it don't hold the glammer other stuff does.As I've found quite a few copper items natives made from my area.One reason the banner means nothing to me anymore.I'm talking historical items that very few of have been found.Actually a couple types I've found only others found that I know of are from archaeologist & were only talking two or three.If it don't hold $$$ or everybody has seen one then your in trouble.Am I talking all butt hurt no just saying the way it is.As it use to bother me but as the years have gone on I just accept it for how it is.I come to realize people can't know every historical item from all parts of the world.I still learn from right here with things I find.Now a days I do try to give all the info on such items but not to be on banner.Just to mabe help others who really like the whole part of this hobby instead of tring to out do each other on what they find.I will say this though as I've come to learn this as well on here.You get the right one in here hollerin banner find then the game changes.:laughing7:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! The kettle point is a special find! I think its banner worthy

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm - I never toss any brass or copper anyways - aside from scrapping it - a lot of people (who do art and scuptures...etc) - will give me a few bucks for a cigar box or so full of bits off oddly shaped metal - of course - if it looks like it might be part of somthing - Ill keep it - Ive put together buckles and etc that way -

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saddly when it comes to this type of find it don't hold the glammer other stuff does.As I've found quite a few copper items natives made from my area.One reason the banner means nothing to me anymore.I'm talking historical items that very few of have been found.Actually a couple types I've found only others found that I know of are from archaeologist & were only talking two or three.If it don't hold $$$ or everybody has seen one then your in trouble.Am I talking all butt hurt no just saying the way it is.As it use to bother me but as the years have gone on I just accept it for how it is.I come to realize people can't know every historical item from all parts of the world.I still learn from right here with things I find.Now a days I do try to give all the info on such items but not to be on banner.Just to mabe help others who really like the whole part of this hobby instead of tring to out do each other on what they find.I will say this though as I've come to learn this as well on here.You get the right one in here hollerin banner find then the game changes.:laughing7:

So true timekiller, so many very interesting articles are passed by for the reasons of not being high value, or shiny, and how it's presented even in the heading makes a big difference on if a person clicks on the thread. Still it's a find that most will never come across, and it's a find where if found by just a clad/jewelry hunter it might be tossed as it holds no value except if it's in the scrap bin.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find - a lot of times many of these found in NE were made from traded colonial coppers hammered out

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job saving a significant piece of Native American history. It's a shame this find doesn't get the recognition that it deserves. Regardless I'll be putting in my vote to see it on the banner.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is an excellent find for sure. Just bear in mind they are not terribly rare in New England and New York, anyway. On some NY sites, they are actually quite common. But when they are 17th century, as yours is, to me they are very special because all the famous names from our history were likely alive when that point was made and used: Uncas, Roger Williams, King Philip of the Wampanoag, etc. Very cool if you ask me. Also, a somewhat rarer style then average. Fashioned from brass and copper kettles. One might think the men would let the women have nice new cooking utensils, but nope, not so. Not to disagree, but I'm not sure how often these would be made from colonial coins here in New England. They were usually made from kettles. I've been mistaken in the past, and often enough, but I've never seen any made from coins, and suspect that would have been unusual per the norm. Colonists usually did not trade actual money to the natives here. For a few decades, shell wampum was the medium of exchange for both cultures here. Despite the illustration below, most points were in fact made from the thinner sheet metal stock. But in the photo below, you can see that two different stocks were used for the two point profiles shown; one is a good deal thicker then the other, the only 2 I've ever found, and both were surface finds as I am a surface hunter of Native American artifacts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions