Perfume Bottle from the 17th Century, Amazing that it was not broken by the JCB

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day while walking around doing some metal detecting in a large, deep and muddy building pit on a Sunday, I saw a glimmering of something a short distance away, and knew after a few more steps that it was a bottle. But I could not see if it was broken because it was sticking out of the mud about one third; so I dug it out very carefully. Most of the time the bottom of the bottles are broken off, but this bottle was whole!

It was laying almost in the tracks of some JCB's and tractors, who had just missed it by inches, and was still not broken! That is amazing enough! More amazing was the bottle itself, its of a type that I had never seen before. With a glass seal (can't read whats on it) and a neat pouring spout. And best of all it had a wonderful patina from laying centuries in the ground.

When I got it home it was easy to clean and only a chip off of the base was missing, so that I cannot stand it upright. It is estimated to be from at least the 17th century, or earlier. It is one of my about 10 small old bottles all with a wonderful patina, one of my best to date.

I have been told that its a quite valuable bottle, I estimate from the 17th or earlier centuries, not sure at this moment. But anyway a great find with the very good patina (you get that only after centuries in the ground, and then only certain ground). It has a prominent place in my main show case.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,244
  • bottle 1.jpg
    bottle 1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2,268
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
woody50 said:
SWR said:
BuckleElf said:
SWR said:
The applied lip is very utilitarian, and not consistent with scent/perfume/cologne bottles of the period (early 1800)
on a bottle that dates at the earliest to the 1600s? :icon_scratch:
The bottle dates to the 1600s?
In my opion it dates to the 17th century, the dating that I have done refers to the other finds in the layer of ground it was found in.
I am far from a bottle expert. I should have said to the earliest instead of latest....
I see. Judging by the color, base and laid on ring it dates more into the early 1800s period. 1600s would either be either blackglass or flint glass (clear)
Maybe in the US, but here many of these bottles exist, and they are all from that period or even earlier.

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Press the seal into a blob of dark coloured blutak, you might be able to read it then.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mickk said:
Press the seal into a blob of dark coloured blutak, you might be able to read it then.
Did that once but could not make heads or tails out of it. But will try again, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread