Period Article on 1932 Saratoga Springs, NY Cache

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
This is from the Schenectady Gazette July 27, 1932. I think this house site is now in the Saratoga Spa State Park and the "drink hall" referenced is the present "Hall of Springs". I believe this area is off limits to detecting but I thought it was an interesting article :)

2434xhi.jpg

2e4ydll.jpg

OP
OP
Bramblefind

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Now that I looked into the NY Park rules again - maybe you could detect there with a permit. But I doubt they would ever grant one for the area around the Hall of Springs. It is a popular restaurant and location for catered events.

http://www.hallofsprings.com/

It’s History and Design

The Hall of Springs was the first building to have its cornerstone laid during the construction of the Modern Spa, 1933-35.

The building was intended as a “Drink Hall” patterned after the European example. Three representative “types” of water (Geyser, Hathorn, and Coesa) would be piped into the Hall for patrons to drink while they listened to live orchestral music and strolled inside or out. Because the waters lost carbonation in storage and corroded the copper-lined storage tanks, this scheme was never fully realized.

The interior atmosphere of grand style was enhanced by the marble floors and columns, Belgian crystal chandeliers, and high vaulted ceiling. The purpose of the Hall of Springs may be better understood if it’s compared with a German Beer Hall, with one major difference; the water was seen as being healthy for mind and body. But the social reasons for coming to a drink hall were comparable.

Some of the workers involved in constructing this building were: Russian ironworkers, Italian plasterers who worked on the high vaulted ceiling, and Austrian stone cutters who carved the figures on the front of the building. A master bricklayer from Albany, Joe Skelly, built the niches over the colonnades.

The Hall of Springs was where the construction of the Modern Spa began and it was considered to be the jewel of the entire complex. Dignitaries gathered for the laying of its cornerstone and a great crowd of VIP’s, including Governor Herbert Lehman, gathered for the formal opening of the new Saratoga Spa on July 26, 1935 near this very spot. Thousands of residents of Saratoga Springs and the surrounding areas came to the opening and long lines of cars lined the gravel drives.

The build-up to this event was long and exciting. A “Get to Know Your Spa” campaign was started that spring by the Junior Chamber of Commerce and every week from early Spring thru July, the public was invited to hear a speech by someone extolling the virtues which the Spa would bring to Saratoga Springs. A statement in the June 14 edition of The Saratogian said that the Spa was the first major project to be finished under the President Roosevelt’s New Deal.

Pierrepont Noyes, President of the Saratoga Preservation Authority which handled financing for the Spa, declared that the Spa would give health, happiness and increased years to persons who otherwise would not have had them.

The steps and grass mall in front of the Hall of Springs was the site of the official opening of the New Saratoga Spa on July 26, 1935.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
Kentucky Kache said:
I wonder why it's off limits to detecting. :wink:
its a state park...you can get a detecting permit...but...you cant dig, that makes sense huh. i live in saratoga springs and it is full of great history.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the state expect you to do if you cannot dig. You have to pay for permits which is wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread