Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I drove by on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to speak with the property owner next door to the new site where I found 2 cut silvers last Thurs. This whole area is extremely old and historic, with both the earliest settlers and Native Americans having inhabited the site. This place was visited by Captain John Smith in the first couple of years after the settlement of Jamestown, and was also where all the colonial inhabitants were killed during the big Indian massacre on March 22, 1622. After I discussed and presented the very friendly owner with some nice research materials, he directed me to a small spot in the huge field where early delftware and bellarmine shards had been found on the surface more than 20 years ago. As soon as I entered this portion of the field I found a big iron patch, and it really got my heart pumping. I was hoping this site would be filled with early colonial coins, buttons, buckles and other awesome artifacts. But the finds turned out to be very few, and were mostly low-toned buckshot and other small pieces of brass. But I thought the very first item I dug might be an early coin weight, but I'm sure that's not what it is as it doesn't have the proper markings and is a bit too thin. After finding a couple small caliber musketballs I decided to move on to check out a very nice looking high plateau on the far end of the field that had a commanding view of the river. As I walked up its slope I started hearing iron and seeing bits of brick, and again was getting quite excited. But other than a not-so-old lead seal and a boatload of great sounding modern bullets it was a bust. I ended up back in the original iron patch for the remainder of the 2 hour hunt, and made a few more finds before leaving. The best of those was a colonial spur, but it did not have any markings unlike a similar one I dug several years ago from an early trash pit. I also recovered a piece from an 18th century buckle, what appears to be the end of an early pewter spoon handle, and a few more musketballs. Although a bit discouraged, I definitely plan to return as soon as yesterday's 4" of snow melts and take my time in the iron patch as well as roam around looking for another hotspot in the field. And I also need to return to the site next door as I still have plenty of ground to cover, and I feel confident more colonial silver awaits me there.

Attachments

• 030214h.JPG
    030214h.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 030214i.JPG
    030214i.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 13

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That is a killer spur Bill. I would take my time on a site like that and really check it. Hopefully you will find another old house site. Hope you do well.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would feel confident too, your in the right place, some of the "hot spots" can be small, and the place you describe is large. Not to mention the targets themselves are but a needle in a haystack. Something good is there, you just got to get that coil over it.

Even when you know where the hot spot is, it's sooo easy to miss something.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an early coin weight, if you do close ups of both sides I will ID. My hunch is pre-1700.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an early coin weight, if you do close ups of both sides I will ID. My hunch is pre-1700.

Cru - I was hoping you'd chime in on this item. The back doesn't have much detail but I can make out what appears to be some kind of wreath design as well as an "F" near the middle of the right hand side. Its also much thinner than some of the other early 17th century weights I've dug and/or seen. Appreciate any help with a specific ID. Thanks!

030214j.JPG

030214k.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru - I was hoping you'd chime in on this item. The back doesn't have much detail but I can make out what appears to be some kind of wreath design as well as an "F" near the middle of the right hand side. Its also much thinner than some of the other early 17th century weights I've dug and/or seen. Appreciate any help with a specific ID. Thanks! View attachment 954515 View attachment 954516

Not as easy as I hoped as its not in my British Coin Weight Book - suggesting thats its NOT British. What I can tell by ruling out several options is that its very similar to the James I period weights & it is not likely to pre-date 1600.

Therefore my conclusion is that its not British & circa 1600-1625.

If it helps, the 'F' is the last name of the maker, like a makers mark which is something we didn't do but other countries did, like the Dutch; maker 'Bernaert Foncq' for example. If you can see the first name letter, you may pin it down.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice spur Bill. Interesting information on the "coin weight," I always liked finding them in Virginia.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats on getting onto the old site.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
149k.gif what you got so far - enough for a return :icon_thumleft:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru - I was hoping you'd chime in on this item. The back doesn't have much detail but I can make out what appears to be some kind of wreath design as well as an "F" near the middle of the right hand side. Its also much thinner than some of the other early 17th century weights I've dug and/or seen. Appreciate any help with a specific ID. Thanks! View attachment 954515 View attachment 954516

Bill, there are quite a few examples of coin weights on finds.org.uk that have a wreath lettering in the same position as yours. Most of the examples have the Antwerp hand in the middle of the wreath.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, there are quite a few examples of coin weights on finds.org.uk that have a wreath lettering in the same position as yours. Most of the examples have the Antwerp hand in the middle of the wreath.

Joey - I checked that website already but didn't see what you're talking about. I'll go look again. But Cru believes its French not English. Either way it appears to be early and is in line with the known age of the site. Thanks for checking.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey - I checked that website already but didn't see what you're talking about. I'll go look again. But Cru believes its French not English. Either way it appears to be early and is in line with the known age of the site. Thanks for checking.

Yes, I'm sure it's early 1600's but its not common enough to be easily found in books or internet.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I'm sure it's early 1600's but its not common enough to be easily found in books or internet.

Just confirming the age is exciting as it verifies I'm likely on the site I was looking for which dates to the early 1620s.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare dated (15) 94 Münzgewicht Dutch currency HF (Hollandse Florijn) as a detector find from Nijmegen. Front: Schwurhand as the guarantor of calibration with the date and coinage abbreviated laurel wreath (Nassausche Lauren crane), back vine decoration with a central Gothic quatrefoil in Perlrand. A rare beautiful piece. Size: approx 1.4 cm x 1.5 cm
2.jpg

I'm pretty sure the HF stands for Hans Foncq ---Cru practically nailed it within minutes

Last edited:

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like you got a great spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread