Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I drove by on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to speak with the property owner next door to the new site where I found 2 cut silvers last Thurs. This whole area is extremely old and historic, with both the earliest settlers and Native Americans having inhabited the site. This place was visited by Captain John Smith in the first couple of years after the settlement of Jamestown, and was also where all the colonial inhabitants were killed during the big Indian massacre on March 22, 1622. After I discussed and presented the very friendly owner with some nice research materials, he directed me to a small spot in the huge field where early delftware and bellarmine shards had been found on the surface more than 20 years ago. As soon as I entered this portion of the field I found a big iron patch, and it really got my heart pumping. I was hoping this site would be filled with early colonial coins, buttons, buckles and other awesome artifacts. But the finds turned out to be very few, and were mostly low-toned buckshot and other small pieces of brass. But I thought the very first item I dug might be an early coin weight, but I'm sure that's not what it is as it doesn't have the proper markings and is a bit too thin. After finding a couple small caliber musketballs I decided to move on to check out a very nice looking high plateau on the far end of the field that had a commanding view of the river. As I walked up its slope I started hearing iron and seeing bits of brick, and again was getting quite excited. But other than a not-so-old lead seal and a boatload of great sounding modern bullets it was a bust. I ended up back in the original iron patch for the remainder of the 2 hour hunt, and made a few more finds before leaving. The best of those was a colonial spur, but it did not have any markings unlike a similar one I dug several years ago from an early trash pit. I also recovered a piece from an 18th century buckle, what appears to be the end of an early pewter spoon handle, and a few more musketballs. Although a bit discouraged, I definitely plan to return as soon as yesterday's 4" of snow melts and take my time in the iron patch as well as roam around looking for another hotspot in the field. And I also need to return to the site next door as I still have plenty of ground to cover, and I feel confident more colonial silver awaits me there.

Attachments

• 030214h.JPG
    030214h.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 030214i.JPG
    030214i.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 13

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare dated (15) 94 Münzgewicht Dutch currency HF (Hollandse Florijn) as a detector find from Nijmegen. Front: Schwurhand as the guarantor of calibration with the date and coinage abbreviated laurel wreath (Nassausche Lauren crane), back vine decoration with a central Gothic quatrefoil in Perlrand. A rare beautiful piece. Size: approx 1.4 cm x 1.5 cm View attachment 954849 I'm pretty sure the HF stands for Hans Foncq ---Cru practically nailed it within minutes

I thought I could see a 'R' but looking at that one, it probably was a H. I knew I was close with early 1600s & Dutch, just couldn't nail it down. Good research!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cru - I was hoping you'd chime in on this item. The back doesn't have much detail but I can make out what appears to be some kind of wreath design as well as an "F" near the middle of the right hand side. Its also much thinner than some of the other early 17th century weights I've dug and/or seen. Appreciate any help with a specific ID. Thanks!

View attachment 954515

View attachment 954516

Something that old and that cool - BANNER? :thumbsup:

Just sayin!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Bill as always you have another great spot and those finds look like there is a lot more goodies to be had, Congrats :thumbsup:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
WOW! Fascinating, especially the groovy rare coin weight!:hello2: :occasion16: :headbang: :occasion16: :hello2: You've got a wonderful spring detecting adventure ahead! HAVE FUN! Andi

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice coin! gz!

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the right place and somewhere is the right spot! Take your time to sit down, look over the land and decide where to start. This great coinweight is a good sign! Wish you good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread