Permission granted but need advice before I start

Jenks Oklahoma

Oct 3, 2015
Jenks Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been given permission to metal detect some land. It's located on 35 acres, at one time the railroad ran through property until the government moved the highway so railroad was closed at location and maybe parts removed. The railroad was relocated nearby.

Also on the property is an old Indian cemetery, the earliest date of use I can find is 1903. However I've been told it dates back earlier. I will not be searching the cemetery or anything, this only serves as a timeline to maybe there is something on or nearby waiting to be found.

There is a creek running through property.

My question where do I start? Should I be looking for specific markers or trees or what? If I only had access for one trip, (this isn't the case) but if I was only allowed one hunt what would be the most important thing to do to prepare? What would be the most important thing to do on the search?

Any ideas or thoughts I would appreciate.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the creek area for campsites around large trees/stumps. Anywhere that would give travelers overnight refuge. Check for old roads the crossed the Old RR path. Look for old building foundations/walls.
Detect in all metal until you find that too much trash makes you use limited discrimination.
Don't let the permission granter know if you find valuables. Have a trash pocket to show him just in case or else permission may be later denied. Have fun and please report your finds here.:occasion14:
Marvin

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you will get lots of ideas from others on this.... my 2 cents...

Water is good people always have needed water, check next to the creek, and in it if you have a water proof detector....
Big trees, and Big trees that look real old close to the water.. people always like to sit and rest next to big trees for shade...
Old maps .. do some google searches for old maps and see if you can see some remnants of old buildings that may have been narely visable 70 years ago.. here is one to get you started
NETR Online ? Historic Aerials

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd jut go in a ziz-zag pattern until I found a target. If the target is from long ago Id' search in a corkscrew pattern from that spot out about 20 feet. If no other targets are found, I'd go back to the zig-zag pattern.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless a depot or stop for the train was there ,I'd look for where shade at the time(very old trees or stumps?) existed near creek.
Horses and other domestic critters needed water ,humans too.
If site was midway of a long route between two used communities or destinations , a place for grazing may fit in a used repeatedly area.
Eroded or washed out areas give a little more depth through layers .
A former creek crossing may still bear scars.
Vantage points with view of rails and creek traffic would be good rest or camping sites.
Could be in sight , but out of shotgun range of travel routes.
Older times in the locale predate auto's , so narrower trails if any ghosts of them remain or have been used since , may take advantage of terrain to pass through area.
Rail bed should show as a long hump.

Regardless, have fun safely and try to get a feel for the area of your own after you get there.

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn't quite what you asked for but... I say walk the entire property to look for old home foundations or other old structures of significance, you can bet there's probably at least one old home on it. A pile of bricks/rocks/rubble usually means there was a chimney there. Yeah, it's a good walk, but you get the exercise and you learn almost every square foot of it. Good luck!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for a likely path to and from the cemetery. Unless there was structure on the site (church, depot, home, etc) don't expect to find much. Random field hunts don't work in OK like they do in England, but if you are going, then look for high ground, hill tops, areas close to the creek, areas of natural shelter from wind and weather (especially northern winter winds).

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't have any old plat maps for the area you're hunting, get on Google Earth and look at the property from an aerial view. It will give you a better idea of what may have been there before, due to the shading of disturbed soil. Also, hunt in all metal, look for relics and nails that would lead you to believe there was a structure. Concentrate on finding structure(s) first, as that's where most time would have been spent by the people there. There was generally a church nearby the cemetery, unless it was a family plot.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
And as mentioned, old aerial maps, old county maps, and such. You may find all kinds of tips from them. Like where the RR crossed, were there any homes, roads, stage coach stations, forts, even Indian villages.

Heck I used an old aerial map of my farm to locate our original farm house. Was torn down around 1936, it was originally built in the late 1700's. Go there today and you'd never know, looks like a million other farm fields. Like the OP, there are a couple of old cemeteries close by, from the 1700's to around the time of the home being torn down. Cemeteries mean folks lived nearby.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a neat place!

As Jason in Enid & others have mentioned, along the creek, hill-tops etc., you can also look for shallow creek areas where travelers may have crossed. . . it also wouldn't hurt to hunt in the creek itself (if possible) because lot of neat relics can get washed from the banks during high-water events.

Good luck!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jenks, I just agree with all of the above. Large trees, large boulders, foundation remnants, near the water, you name it. Oklahoma is a nice state to hunt, & I have found some of my best relics out there. Dig everything, & you may be able to narrow some places down. 35 acres is a lot to cover.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely hit along the creek around old trees and try to find the main entrance to the cemetery. Get an idea by a quick search what might have been located on this property and have a lot of fun. You will be tired by the end of the day....But in a good way.

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good advise from every one. My advice is to take extra care of the property you're hunting. The proprrty owner has been gracious enough to let you search the property so you need to treat as if it was your own. Take extra time and fill all your holes. Develop rapport with the owner. Do not climb fences. Find a gate or crawl under. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
Jenks Oklahoma

Jenks Oklahoma

Oct 3, 2015
Jenks Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow amazing great advice, thank you thank you all! I'm still learning and sincerely appreciate all your suggestions. I've procrastinated going because I wasn't sure of how to start, I'm now feeling excited and can't wait to go.

Jeff the topical map was more than I could have imagined. I've tried using these maps without any luck, looks like I was using them the wrong way.

By the way I found a couple of old roads, maybe an old homesite and I can see where the railroad once was. I am completely 100% beside myself in excitement.

You all have a wealth of information and it may at times seem like everyone should know the basics or already know what steps to take, but for a newbie your advice is priceless.

Thank you

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. Youll know when you get to the old rail line, your detector will go crazy! The coal clinkers will drive it batty. The house site will most likely have rusty bits and broken glass and crockery around it. If you can find the old house dump, you can have a blast digging it out for old bottles.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Jenks,

All good advice, but you could also get a map, or google image of the area to post it on the dowsing thread. The guys there will show you where you would be most likely to find something.

Homar

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look for crossing points at the creek --look for campsites along the creek ... people in the days of old made their homes close to flowing water often times -- (who wanted to dig a well when you didn't need to --or have to lug water in a bucket a long way?) ... the easy , lazy way was the good way ...

start hunting in all metal mode ...until you find the area ..folks often leave trash behind a lot of it is iron based ..find the trashy spot ..find your honey holes once you get the area where they were at then you can go into discrimate mode for high value items -- but remember some cool old relic items are made of iron --guns , swords ect ,ect..

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you what "I would do" with that new permission...

Arrive as early in the morning as possible...
Bring some snacks and drinks.
A folding chair...
Extra gear and batts.

Pick a nice central spot for my stuff out of the sun...
Flop out the chair...
And sit.
Sipping my coffee... I relax and clear my mind and pay attention to every detail of the property...
I take a good solid minimum 5 minute "break" before I start.
I think...
"what where when"...
I pick one...
Then I start.

All the advice above is dead on... the more you know about a piece of property the better off you are.
Any and all stories or statements made should be well listened to.

All that is left to do ... work it.
And continue.

Stay WELL away / clear from burials.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I think I would go there initially, leave my detector in it's bag, and just sit down with my back to a tree and just maybe day dream a little bit while looking around. Get some Zen into it, some meditation and good vibes. Then I'd be probably impulsive, hitting here and there a bit - focusing first around the stream as many on here have suggested. Get the overall "feel" of the place.

And don't be disappointed if you find little or nothing on your first, or even second venture. Maybe make that your "alternative" spot. Detect elsewhere, but consider this as your permanent spot - it takes an awful long time to detect 35 acres properly.

In addition, if you happen to find anything that may relate back to the owners, or something historical of little value but perhaps sentimental to the owners - but not to you, consider giving it to the owner in order to show your appreciation and cement the relationship.

And please, don't make yourself a nuisance, show complete respect for their property, and their privacy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jenks Oklahoma

Jenks Oklahoma

Oct 3, 2015
Jenks Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncle Jeff shared a link to a map that was amazing, I've struggled using other maps. I'm sure it's lack of understanding of how to use them. If anyone has links, ideas or any other maps to share I would appreciate it.

By using the map I've located a couple of points of interest by using Uncle Jeffs link. Thank you. I'm going to try to post pistes but struggling a little with that as well

Credit to Uncle Jeff - NETR Online ? Historic Aerials

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 58

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread