KRAMER

Greenie
Jan 3, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, I am very new to this and am trying to learn/follow etiquette. I found a sweet looking, overgrown old homesite I'd like to check out. There is no signage (i.e. private property, no trespassing, etc.) and I haven't seen anyone coming or going since I started watching a few days ago. It seems completely abandoned to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not gonna lie but ive hit a few places like that in the middle of no where. I just did it, people drove by never said a thing. Figured no houses near it no will bother us. Since there's no signs with names its near impossible to find someone. Id just hit it. I'm sure ill be ridiculed for this reply.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hi all, I am very new to this and am trying to learn/follow etiquette. I found a sweet looking, overgrown old homesite I'd like to check out. There is no signage (i.e. private property, no trespassing, etc.) and I haven't seen anyone coming or going since I started watching a few days ago. It seems completely abandoned to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

You're asking this on a forum where some people will tell you that you need permission to hunt public modern sandboxes (afterall, you can't be "too careful", now can you?). So what do you think some answers are going to be? Technically you should never even step off the sidewalk, afterall, anywhere you go, right? But I have to agree with D-holland on this one. If it's as remote and neglected and abandoned and open with criss-cross trails type of thing ..... then ........

OP
OP
KRAMER

KRAMER

Greenie
Jan 3, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I figured I'd get the full spectrum of responses. Just trying to get a feel for the experienced people's methods. Thanks

nova3930

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Fischer F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're super worried about it, county courthouses keep public records of who owns what parcel of land. Go look up who owns it and just ask...

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you want to do it properly, find the property owner. It isn't hard. You have internet access... Type your local county/parrish in your search engine followed by GIS. This should give a list of websites (usually your local tax office) where you have access to maps with tax info inclulding names and address. Find the property on the map, take down the info and go from there. You should have the information to contact the owner in less than 30 minutes without leaving your computer.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an abandoned farmstead that I want to hit down the road from me. I have been watching it for 2 years hoping I would see someone out there. I have stopped around and no-one knows who owns it. By now all the neighbors recognize me so i figure in the spring I might as well do it.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a look at the whole picture, then use your own discretion.
i will and have hit places that look abandoned and decrepid with no one approaching .
had a good time to.
anyone who did care would probly just ask you to leave.
in nj land does not have to be posted to be off limits ,its still considered trespassing.
good luck to all and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread