Pin Pointers

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett makes what many will say is the best. The Garrett ProPointer.
(You're in Texas and they're in Texas... Need I say more?)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vibra-Probe makes a good waterproof one.

superten67

Jun 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its got to be the only probe you consider really.....the besy !

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a HUGE difference between the cheaper pinpointers and the Garrett. If you are going to buy one, save your money and buy the Garret Pro Pointer. And it has more uses than just metal detecting - I have a house with plaster walls and have used the pro pointer to find stud walls quite reliably.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Automax V4 for 2 years, and it was ok. I think it would need the mod mentioned on the forums. Just bought the Garrett Pro-Pointer and it is definitely an upgrade.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a favor.....just buy the Garrett Pro pointer.....buy it once and use for a long long long time.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight for less than $15. I've put another $4 into it for a new button. While it works ok, I am saving up for a Garrett Pro Pointer.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i have had the Garrett since they came out you can't beat them...And like ..Dwight S ... said they are right there in Texas were you are.....You could go right to the Factory....

WheatearG350

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah I'm saving up my money for a pro pointer. My dad (I'm only16) wanted me to get some cheepo but I was likeno way I'm goin for the pro pointer! I got an ace 350 w/ a 8.5 x 11 search coil and?it tells me a coin is in a big relative area. Yes I find the coins after a lot of digging but i feel a pro pointer would make it a lot easier!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sally, I have had at least one each of the current crop of pinpointers. By far the Garrett is the most popular but I have logged many hours on each and can tell you that the Garret is high in function it is also high in failure. During this period of testing I have found that those cheaper units with the nice narrow probe ends work very well because of that feature but they also lack the range found on other pointers. My Garrett has been replaced twice with in the last couple months and now has its resting place on the shelf at home. The pointer of choice by far is the Minelab which is more expensive but has much better tip sensing and range. Both the Garrett and Minelab have the proximity feature which is very nice. My back up pointer that goes to the field daily with me is the Nokta RS pointer which also has the tip sensing and the proximity location feature. Being the Garrett has sensing the full length of the probe end, I find that a hindrance rather than a plus because it makes the sensing area much larger and a small dirt colored find can be very elusive to find. The HF units I bought both only lasted about a week before developing a fatal issue and returned. I put the Garrett and Minelab pointers in a friends hands during a hunt and at the end of a couple hours he had totally shifted to using the Minelab and the Garrett was turned off and in his pocket. His explanation was that the Garret was harder to use and locate the target metal. Good luck with your choice.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Most pointers will locate a dime at 1" away. That includes the Garrett and Harbor Freight. Both have been documented to have broken down. In the Garrett, the board goes up, in the Harbor Freight, the switch goes up. For less than $2, you can get a switch at radio shack and replace it in15 minutes. In the Garrett, it's a trip back to the factory. You can add things to the Harbor Freight like a bright blue LED that lights when the target is located. This mod takes about 20 minutes. There is no room to mod the Garrett. The big difference is the price. The Garrett list at $160. The Harbor Freight list at $16, BUT WAIT! With the 20% discount coupon in most mags, you can get it for$12.80. Yea I missread the HF ad. This is a correction. Frank***************************************************************************************************

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn please post a copy of that $20 HF offer you mentioned. My magazines only have a 20% off for a single item.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sold on the SunRay,just remember to switch back to coil after you pinpoint,it's a pisser going back over a hundred yards!! I still do it,oh well.I need the exercise anyway,bad back you know! GodBless Chris-

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bowwinkles, You have to read higher grade mags ! lol Actually I misread the ad, but I don't think the $12.80 will break most people. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sorry, but I said list price and it is $160. If you shop around you can usually find a discount, it is so overpriced. I guess you didn't read post #14 about the pro pointer breaking down twice in several months. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions