Permission to MD

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
I'm pretty new at detecting, less than 2 yrs, and have read different ideas about obtaining permission to hunt private property. The stories about land owners swooping down on the finds or following a detectorist around as though they were shoplifting really seem to be as bad as being turned away.
Do any of you ever offer to loan a detector to the owner to use while you detect? Seems like a way to keep 'em busy and maybe get them into the hobby or just a way to befriend them. This may help if the owner has a good site or owns several properties with potential. The detector could be an entry level back up, older or lower end machine. Something simple so they wouldn't be calling you to help with adjustments and what not.
I'd like to hear any comments or results about that b/c I found my 1st gold ring 8) by letting the owner of a house I was painting ( that's what I do professionally) try my Advantage out when he showed a little hesitation after I asked.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

I've yet to be taken up on it. But i've offered ( and at times tried to talk them into) the use of my advantage detector. I can see how it could be a good political tool, if the owners hesitant.
But i haven't run into a case like that yet. I just think it might be fun at times, so i offer.
HH

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to let the property owner know exactly what I will be doing, and offer to show them what I find.
I also tell them that I will check back with them after I have finished.
I have done this many times and will occasionally give them one of the coins that I find. Often times they will say "just keep it. you worked hard to get them". (I can't argue with that!)

BK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread