I had a customer bring back an ace 150 yesterday . Weird problem .

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
The thing was spastic . The second you turned it on no matter if it was no where near anything metal it started cycling through the entire range of tone ids at a very excelerated pace if you had the sensitivity set even to 3 notches . I looked it over ; Cleaned out the conections , changed the batteries , cleaned the coils , looked at the inside of the control box , checked for water intrusion , and found nothing wrong with it physically . I even tried changing out coils . I am stumped as to what is wrong with it as i have MANY detectors in the store that have no problems whatsoever so i have a hard time accepting that its electrical interference . I just exchanged it for him .

Upvote 0
F

Floater

Hey GarretDealer that is the way it is sometimes even with a Garret. It sounds to me like one of the chips just went bonkers. I'm sure when it gets back to Garret they will let you know. Doesnt happen often but one little jolt the wrong way could loosen up a solder connectin or an errant current could of just thrown a chip into overwhelm. Let us know the outcome from the factory. HH

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Floater said:
Hey GarretDealer that is the way it is sometimes even with a Garret. It sounds to me like one of the chips just went bonkers. I'm sure when it gets back to Garret they will let you know. Doesnt happen often but one little jolt the wrong way could loosen up a solder connectin or an errant current could of just thrown a chip into overwhelm. Let us know the outcome from the factory. HH
It must have been a bad chip because i checked all the connections inside and the unit looked like just another buttoned down factory gem .

F

Floater

I hear ya Scratchin. I didn't really think the solder would come loose but its hard to tell with out a magnifying glass or testing the circuit. The ribbon on the boards is awfully thin but amazingly resilient. I agree though it is a chip and time will tell. HH

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I get a similar problem on my Whites Beach Hunter on occasion, for me it's a quirky sensitivity pot (sometimes it goes to full sens regardless of the knob's position) Perhaps there is a short or bad chip causing the ACE to do something similar?

D

deacon

I had a similar problem with my Garrett Predator III(Treasure Ace 300). Turned it on and it was like a quarter was sitting on the coil. Constant tone. would not settle down. Contacted Garrett spoke with tech support and sent it back for repair. They sent me a new machine! Great service, polite and helpful. This was about three years ago, but I'm sure their service is just as good now as then. Still working fine.

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
I could not see just letting this one go so i had anothoer look at the detector and i figured out the problem and fixed it . Here's what i did that wasn't obvious at first .

I opened the control housing and took another look at the circuit board . I noticed the the single solitary POT was set just a hair off of the preset mark . So I tweaked it about 2 degrees counter clockwise to the mark . I then wanted to test it out before screwing it back together (heres where the suprise is ) . I loaded in the batteries and I just assumed the wire between the battery housing and the circuit board carried power . I WAS WRONG . That wire is for the speakers . The ace 150s battery compartment is not physically attached to the circuit board (Holy eratic signals batman !) . The circuit board only received power from the batteries when

1. The unit is screwed together thus sandwiching the set of terminals on the battery compartment with the one on the board
2. The two batteries on each end actually have to depress the simple metal contact onto the circuit boards contact pads for each terminal .

I then removed the batteries and cleaned both the connectors and the pads . I could however actually see where the wire that is depressed by the battery had already started to rub metal off of the pad . This is a VERY poor design .

I then reasembled it and the errant signals were gone .

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Hmm . . . is it possible that you will either be writing or calling Garrett Tech Services (as a Garrett Dealer) and discussing this observation with them?? It does seem to be the proper and logical course to take because Garrett does seem to build good equipment and reports of their Tech Service support always seems quite positive.

Hobo

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
da Hobo said:
Hmm . . . is it possible that you will either be writing or calling Garrett Tech Services (as a Garrett Dealer) and discussing this observation with them??? It does seem to be the proper and logical course to take because Garrett does seem to build good equipment and reports of their Tech Service support always seems quite positive.

Hobo
I'm sure i willl mention it when we next converse .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this many dozens a times after detecting and selling over 40+ years. The connector from the coil to the box has a metal stress reliever coil that has wormed it's way into the connectors ground inside the plug.Ascertain the correct direction to unscrew this thing and turn 6- dozen times and the short disappears.I,ve seen it on almost every type and style.Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Hoser John said:
I've seen this many dozens a times after detecting and selling over 40+ years. The connector from the coil to the box has a metal? stress reliever coil that has wormed it's way into the connectors ground inside the plug.Ascertain the correct direction to unscrew this thing and turn 6- dozen times and the short disappears.I,ve seen it on almost every type and style.Tons a au 2 u 2-John? ? ;D

You have never seen a connection like this .? It doesn't actually plug in . Imagine you put a contact on the inside of a door and one on the jamb . There is no physical connection but when the door shuts the two metal areas touch and complete the circuit . Now imagine a circuit such as this in something that gets jiggled around like a metal detector . BAD IDEA .

mike98000

Jun 10, 2005
These kinds of connections are very common. Look at your cell phone battery. Same thing. It should be reliable so the fact that this one failed should be brought to their attention. And when you are talking to them, suggest that they stick a crow bar in their wallet, pry out .10 and put a volume control in the product!!

Mike

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
mike98000 said:
These kinds of connections are very common.? Look at your cell phone battery.? Same thing.? It should be reliable so the fact that this one failed should be brought to their attention.? And when you are talking to them, suggest that they stick a crow bar in their wallet, pry out .10 and put a volume control in the product!!

Mike
Trust me . Imagine a paper clip bent in an L shape but about 1 tenth as thin . The contact is made out of the same material as the springs in the battery compartment and is extremely sharp at the end as it seems to be just rough cut and then bent so it scrapes the hell out of the contact . I wish it was as nice as the battery connection in my cell phone .

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
mike98000 said:
These kinds of connections are very common.? Look at your cell phone battery.? Same thing.? It should be reliable so the fact that this one failed should be brought to their attention.? And when you are talking to them, suggest that they stick a crow bar in their wallet, pry out .10 and put a volume control in the product!!

Mike
I have a couple of things to mention to them . 8)

mike98000

Jun 10, 2005
I had mine apart a couple of weeks ago (looking for how to put in a volume control...)? so that is why I know what you are talking about.? Also I have been in the electronics business for 16 years.? On mine the contact was smooth on the outside of the bent wire(s) so I didn't see any problem with it.? Mine was bent more like a "u" shape as I remember. It sounds to me like that one you have was not bent right. Also, It does make putting in the batteries a little tricky since one battery ends up with a spring on both ends, and that contact will get wiggled every time you change batteries.? So while you are talking to them tell them the manual stinks also!!!? But everyone loves them anyway!!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread