Perplexed

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can help shed some light on something that has me perplexed.

I’ve recently started paying more attention to the creek banks and have started noticing layers of charcoal which appear to be from ancient campfires. The pictures are really bad but the black specks and smears that you see in the red circles Are definitely charcoal. These layers are 6-8 feet below the top of the bank so I’m not sure what else they would be.

However, at one of the places I saw some jawbones sticking out of the bank in the same layer as the charcoal that I found. I am almost positive that it is a modern cow. I’ve done a little research on bison jaws and teeth and I’m pretty sure it’s not a bison. Plus, it looks like there is a cut mark from a modern saw...

How do you suppose a modern cow skull could have been embedded into the bank of a creek in the layer of ancient activity?? That is if the charcoal is in fact ancient but not sure what else it would be from..

??

Thanks for your thoughts!

4A572E29-AA11-4EC7-91D5-460DD5CA3EF8.jpeg
9B324C47-BD86-42D6-BCCB-1CC392EE5989.jpeg
1E895E7C-C7A5-49CE-83AF-C5BF513746F0.jpeg
E7C24215-31DF-4CD8-A60C-AF1830CFB9FD.jpeg

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the creek I artifact hunt, there are several deep ditches that feed into the creek. In the past 200+ years these ditches were convenient cavities to dump assorted trash by our ancestors (and maybe covered over with dirt). My creek (the banks) have greatly eroded in the past 40 years or so, especially in the last few years with all the above normal rain we've been having. The creek was 10 feet across 50 years ago. Now the creek has widened to 25' to 40' across and into the "trash ditches".

However there is one spot that I noticed charcoal specks 2' down in the newly eroded bank and discovered it was due to NA activity. Found a nutting stone, flakes of rhyolite, and fire cracked rock eroding out at that spot. So there. I'm sure I haven't helped at all lol.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the creek I artifact hunt, there are several deep ditches that feed into the creek. In the past 200+ years these ditches were convenient cavities to dump assorted trash by our ancestors (and maybe covered over with dirt). My creek (the banks) have greatly eroded in the past 40 years or so, especially in the last few years with all the above normal rain we've been having. The creek was 10 feet across 50 years ago. Now the creek has widened to 25' to 40' across and into the "trash ditches".

However there is one spot that I noticed charcoal specks 2' down in the newly eroded bank and discovered it was due to NA activity. Found a nutting stone, flakes of rhyolite, and fire cracked rock eroding out at that spot. So there. I'm sure I haven't helped at all lol.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Not to change the subject, but is that a telegraph insulator in the picture with the jawbone? Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of it, too.

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That’s essentially what is happening with this creek but I just don’t understand how the bones could literally be embedded in that layer. Maybe there was a fallen tree there at one time that the cow got pinned behind and over time the bones got pushed into the bank and into that layer??

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Is the area around the creek natural? Is the creek old or a newer drainage? (If you look up old maps of your county, is it on the old maps?)

That stain and charcoal look like old fire pit sections to me, but a burned out stump from a 100 years ago can look the same... One potential scenario is that the creek is cutting through some old field clearing work or an old levee and the fire pit isn't that old. You can find relics that were brought/dozed in with the fill dirt.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you see charcoal in a bank...a side view, it's called a lens. Years ago on the IL River they built a new bridge and dug a huge borrow pit in the river valley. A friend of mine put a small boat in the pit and searched the banks for charcoal lenses every night after work. He found them too. Every day, the pit would fill in with water a little more and he could search higher. He would dig out the lenses and recover artifacts. The last lens he found was 17' below the present surface and had Mississippian triangle arrowpoints. Gary

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend & I were digging in Hog Town Creek in Gainesville back in the early 80's (when it was still allowed). He found a small red coral triangle about 2' down right next to a soda can. Moving water does some strange stuff.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
why can't that be an elk or deer?

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend & I were digging in Hog Town Creek in Gainesville back in the early 80's (when it was still allowed). He found a small red coral triangle about 2' down right next to a soda can. Moving water does some strange stuff.

Yes, water can do some really whacky things! That’s why I love the creeks so much. The most interesting features and landscapes appear near water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread