Personal Protection

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
We have concealed carry here in Texas and it is very nice to be able to take advantage of that protection. I have had more problems with large dogs in the woods or rural areas than I have had with people.

Rich

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri
When I first started detecting back in "62" I bought a bayonet to probe and dig with. It has a 14" blade. I carry it either in my left hand or rear pocket handle first. I have never had anyone bother me. It makes an excellent probe, plus cut plugs, or to dig with. It has the narrow blade, unlike the newer Rambo type bayonets. This one must have been a world war I issue. HH. Scotty

Attachments

• DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    977.8 KB · Views: 26

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Wow Scotty, you have been Detecting as long as I have been walking the earth!! :) . I know the kind of bayonet you are talking about and I can imagine it being a great tool. I use a stainless digging tool, don't remember the brand, a shovel if somewhere that I can use it, and a brass probe that I made. I think most detectorists have enough items on them to take care of themselves :)
HH All
Rich

jedihepner

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2004
Mount Carmel, NE PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Better than American Express

I always carry my North American Arms Mini - Revolver when I venture out detecting. It's a five shot .22 SH. /.22 L.R. and is only about 3.5 inches in length which makes it very concealable. I have a concealed carry permit and recommend that you get one if you chose this form of protection as you can easily run afoul of the law without one! We often put ourselves alone in the woods or other places and are not paying heed to our situation or surroundings. We become isolated because of our headphones and our devoted attention to our machines and It is all too easy to become engrossed in the enjoyment of detecting, only to find oneself in a sticky situation. Hopefully I'll never run into a situation that I can't navigate out of without it, but it's nice to know that it's there if needed!!!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i've carried pepper spray and guns before. Never had to use a gun but I have used pepper spray on a dog once.( wish i'd had my camera for that one). check around and you can find pepper spray for bear country that has a larger canister, longer range and a dye to identify who or what you sprayed. The way the laws are getting now carrying a gun will bring you lots of trouble in some locations, so know your local laws.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here in Illinois we have a governor that wants us to be the first gun-free state in the union. Over his de...
Anyhow, if the tools I carry for the hunt don't work, then it's pretty bad. Had some bad actors sic their dogs on me once in an FP nearby. Two rots. I saw it coming from 50 yards off and as I was at the edge of a low, treeless open area it did not look good. I hoofed it over a fence as the dogs came up and we were all out of sight of their owners in the nearby brush and woods. Used two fist sized rocks as the dogs came through an old jumble of barb wire that caused them to yelp very loudly.
Stuck one with a metal rod that I had just recovered and picked up on the retreat. The yelping caused the bad guys to call off the dogs but they were po'd over the injuries I guess and wanted to hunt me down themselves. Not to worry, those guys know about as much about hunting as Santa and they were easy to evade. Circled around, came to my car, in the same lot as theirs and the two dogs were in their car messed up and excited, but the bad guys were still out looking for me.

While I probably should have gotten my gun out of the trunk and shot the dogs and car to pieces, I got a kick out of their predicament more so than mine and left grinning.

Got treed in the Ozarks once by a HUGE pack of dogs, all shapes and sizes. They left soon enough, not too worried about me, but I came mighty close to wasting the shorts....

That said, I'm not sure shooting would have helped either situation, but I know I would have felt better if I had the option to make that decision instead of some dingbat administration in Springfield.

Carry pepper spray at least. It works on most animals, uhh, make darn sure they are downwind, doh!

Attachments

• spur.jpg
    spur.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Clip corner plate.jpg
    Clip corner plate.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 9-12-15a.jpg
    9-12-15a.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 9-12-15.jpg
    9-12-15.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 16

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Glad you got out of that one Lowbatts!! I had a run-in with a rotty in the woods recently. I think there was something serious wrong with this dog. A warning shot did not even make him flinch. Gotta be careful out there. John Brownings creations help keep me safe :D
HH All
Rich

Attachments

• 20131020_174247.jpg
    20131020_174247.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_13819554041680244.jpg
    FB_IMG_13819554041680244.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20131129_172634.jpg
    20131129_172634.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_30287589878141.jpeg
    IMG_30287589878141.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_31470244296218.jpeg
    IMG_31470244296218.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 51

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey Rich, those Rots are almost as committed as shepards and pit bulls. I once chased three dobies away by pulling my jacket up over my head and spreading my arms, made me look bigger. Then I started growling like a bear, real loud. They ran off wimpering. Glad they weren't meaner dogs, they had me cornered.

Other Illinois issues aside, I like the environment up here a bit better than down your way. No bad snakes and almost no poisonous critters, unless you count shrews... Last time down in TX got to show the kids a rattler just west of you, on the way out to Sea World. It was road kill, but they had never seen a snake that big in the wild.

And I've NEVER walked up on wild buffalo around here, as I did down in Texas some years back. Now that one almost wasted my shorts too! Gotta carry more than just pepper spray for that.

Attachments

• rsz_keen_kutter.jpg
    rsz_keen_kutter.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 21
  • rsz_watch_fob_1.jpg
    rsz_watch_fob_1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1782 half reale 001.jpg
    1782 half reale 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • ring 002.jpg
    ring 002.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1806 draped bust 001.jpg
    1806 draped bust 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • BELT PLATE 001.jpg
    BELT PLATE 001.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 17
  • 20160317_194408_resized_1.jpg
    20160317_194408_resized_1.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160312_155413_resized_1.jpg
    20160312_155413_resized_1.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20160228_180351_resized_1.jpg
    20160228_180351_resized_1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 14

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
LMAO!!! Buffalo can be a surprise if not expected!! You got close to my place. I only live a few miles from Sea World. I can see the fireworks shows at night during the summer.

Rich

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Ok guys I live in az. 9 out of 10 people carry guns one way or other I carry a 105 howitzer with wille peter rounds for it it is a pain in the butt to haul about the desert <G> Just kidding I carry a S&W 357 Mag nice all aroung gun.Buck

Shedman

Dec 31, 2003
Over here, the government has criminalised all hand guns, so its only criminals that have them. For christ sake, we have to have a licence to own a television!! The only thing I have for protection is a shovel (we detect mostly on ploughed soil) and a good pair of running shoes. If the shoes don't work, the shovel bites!!

We don't seem to have the same trouble over here that you guys have though. Do you really have situations while detecting that neccesitates the carriny of a gun?

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
I carry a Springfield .45 or the new XD-9 (9mm). I also have one of those little North American Arms revolvers, but mine is the little bit bigger one, .22MAG.

I smell a small rant coming....We never know what is gonna happen, and so if you have a choice, whether to be a statistic (victim), or not, it's up to you. Some states, and countries, want their "subjects" (citizens) to always be victims since only the cops and bad guys will have better weapons. And when you need the cops, there is never one around.

I haven't been detecting for a long while, but detecting isn't the only time a crime can occur. The situation in the states, for the most part is that in states that issue the license to carry a concealed weapon, crime drops. This is in part due to criminals don't know who might be carrying. Of course, in states that don't have the right to carry, crime is up, since law abiding citizens are known to criminals to be un-armed with a firearm.

BTW, I live in deep south Texas with a CCW.

I have never had to pull my weapon out.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nice selection Kool, I carry either my Springfield 45 or Browning Hi Power. The only time I have pulled mine was for a Rotty in the woods. It saved my butt.

Rich

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    329 KB · Views: 19

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
MDnoob! I love it. Yeah it adds to the swing weight a little but hey, sighting through the coil. Hey Shedman, we've got bad actors hereabouts too, but we alsostill have lots of bad critters throughout the country, big and small that require some means of dispatch on occassion.

Joggers in some parts of California have again become food for cougars for example. In Illinois, weare asked to dial 911 and pray, but in my town it's still ok to use your shooting skills indiscriminately in defense. By that I mean if it looks like you've placed your shots well, then some zealous prosecutor might decide you didn't need to shoot at all. So fire a round in the couch and hit 'em in the leg too, then dial 911.

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)
A Lesch Land Shark shovel would serve as a good battle ax, but nowdays I still carry a little 38 in my pocket.

When I worked in Little Rock I had to go to some rough areas. (like around the governor's manse) When I wasn't carrying my 1911, I always had an "Ace of Spades" on my keychain. (Choate Machine and Tool) It's a little short fiberglass filled black plastic push dagger that passed Ark's concealed weapons laws back before we got CCW. Now they are making what they call the "Executive Ice Scraper" (A wicked looking little knuckle duster) I wish they had made it back then. :twisted:
PW

whiskers

Dec 13, 2003
Silicon Valley
Lowbatts: "...those guys know about as much about hunting as Santa"? That an Illinois expression? Boy, I've got to remember that.

Shedman: "Do you really have situations while detecting that neccesitates the carrying of a gun?" One of the old-time ('50s) publicity-hunting-type THers named Frank Fish was murdered on one of his outings. Only one I know of, but it can happen. When you're out in the desert all alone, you're all alone. (Catch my meaning?)

Since the late '50s I've carried a 1945 small Army pick ("entrenching tool", if that helps explain it), and now the point is nicely rounded. I usually lay it on the ground until I need it, but if there are people around it's not hard just to carry it in one hand. It would also be useful on one of the dogs you guys seem to attract (I never have).

You guys with all the guns, be sure you're well versed in their use. One time my wife woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me two guys were walking around the house shining flashlights in the windows. My .45 auto was under the bed in a holster and I think I spent several hours trying to get the gun out of the damn holster. (I bought it at a gun show and some fool had put a strap across the front for looks, while a snap kept the gun inside. I spent my time trying to undo the strap. (Remember, I was half asleep.)) Finally I got it out and all was well. It's amazing how the sound of a .45 slide being racked back (cocked) resounds around the neighborhood. End of any possible disagreement with the two gentleman outside. (Moral: remember to be familiar with your holster as well as your gun. :-) ) - Jim

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Geez. Several hours getting it out of the holster? And you're still married?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Do I carry....... :?
Where I go, along the Ariz/N.Mex./Tx. & Mexico Border, we all carry "Heavy"!
Your knife, pepper spray, or entrenching tools just don't have the "range"!
I have a stub nose .44 mag, that I carry at ALL! times!
(I hand load a 300gr Jacket hollow point @ 1200fps, 900fp bullet)
I also have a semi auto '06, a .44 mag Winchester, asittin' in camp!
I have snub nose 45ACP, (3 1/2" barrel) as my "backup"!
I also...anyway!...
So! You might think this is excessive ?
:( Just last month (Dec.'03) a Border Patrolman was shot and killed!
No!
I am carrying just about enough!
But!
To answer your question..."YES! I DO CARRY PERSONAL PROTECTION"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread