Personal Protection

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I AM A MAN OF MANY GUNS. JUST BOUGHT A BOND ARMS .410 / 45LC DERRINGER. IT WILL DO THE JOB. I FOUND THAT THE 2 3/4" 410 SHELL'S WORK THE BEST. 7 1/2 SHOT FOR SNAKES AND RIFLED SLUGS FOR OTHER NASTY THINGS. THE SLUGS SHOT 1" OFF AT 25 YARDS. NOT BAD FOR A DERRINGER. THE SHOT SHELLS WILL DESTROY A SNAKE. NOT LIKE THE WEAK SHOT SHELLS MADE FOR PISTOLS. IF YOU GET ONE USE THE 2 3/4" SHELLS NOT 3"

dirtdevil2

Greenie
Apr 8, 2005
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
Gerrett Ace 250 , Fisher CZ-20
I always carry a pistol.... have a 25cal. a compact 45.
I try not to put myself around areas where police are often called.
Be safe and always be alert. Make sure to look up and around, even when you are digging.

This is suppose to be FUN! :)

jwfmbf

Greenie
Nov 30, 2004
Midnight Rider said:
I would base your decision on carrying some "defense" on a few factors. ?One, is it really needed? ?Are you in a heavily populated area or some remote location?

How do you know when it will be needed? Population does not tell you this.

In my opinion, if you decide to carry then you should always carry. [I know that it is not always practical or legal, so, stay practical and legal.]

Are you trained/licensed to carry whatever it is that you choose to use?

What are your local ordinances for what you intend to carry?

I am much more concerned that you be trained. If you decide to go without the license or against local ordinance then don't cry foul once behind bars. And if your infraction happens to be a felony then you'll be giving up your options.

Learn the rules, go to packing.org and look up your locale. If you decide to play against the rules, well, that's your choice.

Learn to operate your tools safely.

John

NRA Instructor: Certified Home Firearm Safety, Certified Pistol, Personal Protection

jwfmbf

Greenie
Nov 30, 2004
Shedman said:
Over here, the government has criminalised all hand guns, so its only criminals that have them. ?For christ sake, we have to have a licence to own a television!! ?The only thing I have for protection is a shovel (we detect mostly on ploughed soil) and a good pair of running shoes. ?If the shoes don't work, the shovel bites!!

We don't seem to have the same trouble over here that you guys have though. ?Do you really have situations while detecting that neccesitates the carriny of a gun?

Hi Shedman.

I am responding to the question you post at the end.? You are asking a common question that really cuts to a philosophical discussion.

A quick response is that the situation that may require my carrying a gun is that I am alive.? The constitution of my Government holds as a principle that life is an unalienable right; my life is owned by me and cannot be taken from me.? This implies that I have a right, an unalienable right, to defend it.? If I choose, I can carry a gun so that I have a chance of equal force against an agressor.? This is really the point you make with your first sentence.

Remember, I do not have a right to carry anything for any ill purpose.? It is what I do with it that matters, not what it is.

John

[added in edit]

Oh, yeah. The "other" situation that you are asking about can happen at any time and anywhere.

M

mattjd

I have a balanced throwing knife I take wherever I go and a slightly bigger knife I take with me when I go detecting. Also, when I go exploring or detecting in remote location I take a 28 inch sword with me that I carry on my belt. Matt

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
I carry most everywhere, all the time. Training is a must.
I own dozens of guns, my fav carry is a SW 357, hammerless 2", in scandium.
Damn thing weighs less empty than the five rounds it carries.

Attention to threats and a good approach to them does the job, usually....

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
That hammerless S&W is one of my fav's. I don't pack a gun anymore, I used to when I drove a cab in big cities.
But over the years I've found edged weapons are must more effective at close range.
I dint bother to look over my shoulder when I'm MDing though. But you never know!!
I taught a class on edged weapons for a while, and some local law enforcement took great heed when I showed them what someone w/ a knife could do while being cuffed. Scared the hell out of them actually
But I'm a nice lawabiding citizen that doesent believe in violence.

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
The story here in Kalifornia for hand guns truly sucks. I can't fire a legally purchased and registered hand gun off my property without first qualifing with it. I can understand the reasoning for this being a Texas Transplant living in the land of liberals.This law is new and I live in a rural area where the L.E.O. are pretty good about a guy out plinking. I haven't owned hand guns for years but I do have an 870 for when I'm in unfamiliar areas. Knowing what's going on around you and using your head is what counts.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
In Canada, a lot of people think handguns are illegal, but I assure you they are not.. I have several.. Since they cancelled the spring bear hunt in Ontario, the bears have been fruitfull, and multiplied to the point where they are becoming both a nuisance, and a danger.. I have a 12 Ga. Norinco tactical shotgun, with a 18.5" barrel, pistol grip, and folding stock.. Under our new registration laws (which will be vanishing with-in the year) I figured if I had to register a shotgun for christ sake, I was going to buy the uglyest, most politically incorrect gun I could find, and this was it.. If to spend time in the Northern Ontario bush, you can also get a carry permit for a handgun (usually a 44 mag.) I prefer my .40 S&W Para Ordinance 1911 style, and even though it won't hit as hard as the .44, The Para assures me I'm gonna at least hit the thing, without fighting both recoil, and nerves. A six shot .44 wheel gun is only as usefull as how many times you hit the damn bear, I would much rather have my .40 and a full mag.. I'm used to it, and fire a minimum of 8,000 rounds a year.. In Canada, a 100 lb woman has the legal RIGHT to kill her two hundred lb. attacker, providing she uses only her bare hands.. makes a lot of sense eh! I too could go full into Rant Mode on this topic.. Grrrrrr

Attachments

• YL-12-IJZ.jpg
    YL-12-IJZ.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 411
S

SASQUASH

After my tomahawk Missile got to heavy on long hunts I had to resort to Pepper spray it works great. SASQUASH <><

jwfmbf

Greenie
Nov 30, 2004
SASQUASH said:
After my tomahawk Missile got to heavy on long hunts I had to resort to Pepper spray it works great. SASQUASH <><

Geez, you didn't get enough training with that thing. They should have told you that you can leave the tommy at home and you only have to carry the command and control center. Mount the launch platform on the roof of the house with fireproof tiles so that you don't burn down the house when you use it. That's what I did...

:)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
sas, sounds like you need an ICBM -W (Winnabego). Running around in the woods with a 6-pack and a Polaris might just do the trick. HAHA

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was an active LEO way back before I retired I arrested a guy at an illegal gambling game. He had no record other than a few misdemeanors and was carrying a gun like most others at the game. I asked him why so many of the guys, especially him was carrying a gun and his reply has stuck with me. He said, "I'd lot rather you catch me with it than any of these guys catching me without it"! Given the situation and the part of town it was located in, it made perfect sense.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
I don`t think anything could be more terrifing to an intruder in your home than the sound of a 3 ` in shell being jacked into your pump shotgun !!!!!

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my North American Arms Mini - Revolver 22 magnum 5 shot, slips easily in pant pocket or fanny pack, and I have a concealed weapons permit. Here in WV you can "constitutional carry" without a permit as long as the firearm is exposed (not concealed). We also have one of the lowest violent crime per capita in the U.S.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working too much to go MD'ing anywhere but my yard. But when out and about in the woods in the future, I'll have my S&W Mod. 66 .357 or Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP on my belt. I honestly think the odds of needing either are nil, but hey, I went to a lot of trouble to get the darn pistol permit so what the heck!

I like pistols and shot in a USPSA/IPSC match this Sunday (my only day off in two weeks).

Good hunting,
desmobob

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Since I was held up 11 yrs ago at gunpoint and pistol whipped by some crackhead gangsta punk, I've always carried a Glock model 27 (.40) When I go MDing I carry a .25 Berretta in my pocket and am always aware of my surroundings. I have a concealed carry permit. 8)

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfrat96 said:
When I go MDing I carry a .25 Berretta in my pocket and am always aware of my surroundings.

surfrat,

I have a Berretta 950 Jetfire in .25 -- neat little tip-barrel pistol. I had it teflon coated several years ago so it would be more "pocketable."

I always remember something I read once about carrying a .25 for personal protection:

"If you carry a .25, don't load it, because if you do, you might shoot somebody. And if you do, they might notice. And if they do notice, they might get angry." ;)

On the other side of the coin is "A small pistol that's in your pocket is sure handier than a big pistol that's at home in your gun safe."

Good hunting,
desmobob

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
I saw a friend bounce a couple rounds off the forehead of a nutso pit bull. It was supposed to be a mercy job!
You guys carrying semis, dont forget to get it out and run the action, as well as re-oil lightly, on a regular basis. I know of two guys who pulled an autoloader only to find it stuck with rust and crude from a concealed carry. They can look fine and not perform.

Except you surf, only defective ammo can keep that Glock from smokin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread