Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shanegalang and I set out to hunt the spot where he dug the 1796 Spanish over the holidays. Well...it was an interesting day. First off, we stopped and were approached by a farmer that told us of a house site way back in the cane fields on our Plantation property. We asked him a couple of questions, to which he replied with a Cajun answer "I don't know, Me!" :D We hiked back there anyhow, way back in the cane. Man, it gets my pulse up to see the cane stretching back for a mile uninterrupted:

1.jpg

Well, we got out there, and only pack rivets were turning up, and a few pieces of plain white glazed pottery. So after trying to get on something, we hiked back a half a mile to the car.

We decided to drive to another property we've been eyeballing, to try and get permission. The old farmer said "I don't see why there'd be any problem with it." And it is on this day, ladies and gentlemen, that the CaneField Duo has just secured permission for a second LARGE parcel of land. His property is close to 15,000 acres. :headbang: That means we can take our pick of about 25,000 acres to hunt. ;D

So, half our day was spent, with not much found but some very good news, so we wanted to dig something good! We went to survey the property boundaries and started seeing some brick in the field. My friends, this looked to be a VERY good field, based on the pottery we were seeing:

2.jpg

We hunted like mad in the failing light and misting rain, and I ended up the day with a couple CW bullets, camp lead, a bale seal, and a colonial shoe buckle piece that I am happy with (never seemed to find many of those up in Kentucky), and Shanegalang ended up with some flat buttons, two pieces of iron that appear to be modified into cooking pot hooks, and some other interesting bits. We didn't get to spend much time in the field, but I am sure there is more. I am curious about the bell-shaped lead item I dug, if anyone has any ideas. Enjoy the photos.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5a.JPG

5b.JPG

Shanegalang's modified pot hangers:
6.JPG

6b.JPG

7.jpg

7a.jpg

Oh, and I also found a bunch of GawGag! :D

8.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is the way to do it, Buck. I knew you would find an early site in LA. :hello2: That pottery is screaming early site. I would estimate around 1750ish. :icon_thumleft: You know how much I love those shoe buckle pieces. ;D Oh Boy! :notworthy:

Kirk

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Now that is the way to do it, Buck. I knew you would find an early site in LA. :hello2: That pottery is screaming early site. I would estimate around 1750ish. :icon_thumleft: You know how much I love those shoe buckle pieces. ;D Oh Boy! :notworthy:

Kirk

Did you see the Capped Bust I dug with Hill Billy over break? Or the 8 Reales he dug? :o

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Kirk PA said:

Kirk

Did you see the Capped Bust I dug with Hill Billy over break? Or the 8 Reales he dug? :o

Indeed. ;D I have been really busy lately with my newborn son and have not had much time to spend on the forums. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some interesting artifacts there BB. You and Shane should be singing that 60s song "Something tells me I'm into something good". It will just take patience and time to zero in. That piece you described certiainly looks more like a pot holder that would be part of a swivel to position the pot over the fire in a fireplace. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Some interesting artifacts there BB. You and Shane should be singing that 60s song "Something tells me I'm into something good". It will just take patience and time to zero in. That piece you described certiainly looks more like a pot holder that would be part of a swivel to position the pot over the fire in a fireplace. HH, Quindy.

I agree with you. It doesn't have that S shape like most of the camp ones. It is certainly old, and I think a very cool find. I am certain Shane will preserve it and add it to the collection.

We will find something good here. There has been a lot of detecting in the area, but the fields are deep-ploughed each year, and I feel certain that there is cut silver and some great CW finds hiding close by. Now we just have to put our search coil over the one square foot in all that land...

-BB

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's just a matter of time before we stumble on "Something Good" :wink: I am very fortunate to hunt along side BB, he processes a wealth of knowledge about relics, pottery and pointers on great ways to preserve the items we find etc. I am thrilled to be able to learn from him. These sites have fired up my passion for the sport. Thanks Q for identifying the hook. "I am so excited to get back down there, me!" HH, Shane :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool relics! we will be seeing more coins posted from that site i'm sure :headbang:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Good finds. that place looks like it has potential.
Dman

U

umrgolf

It's always nice to locate a site like that towards the end of a day.. although bittersweet that day, its only a matter of getting back :thumbsup: :headbang:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like alot of walking for you in those fields.
I see what you mean about swinging through the ruffles, but atleast the rows are straight, makes for easy gridding and knowing where you have already swung.
Good luck to you guys down there.
I sense a great post coming soon :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, have to agree with HillBilly on this one, lots of walking and swinging a bit tough, hope to see some more goodies being posted in the future from this site.

Don

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You Were DUE Dude............ GREAT Story! I KNEW You Would Find A Way To Rock & Roll :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2:

HH!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful old pieces of pottery! Interesting finds all the way around! Good luck on your return visits!

Just for curiosity sakes, which pieces are the pot hooks that were mentioned above?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
Beautiful old pieces of pottery! Interesting finds all the way around! Good luck on your return visits!

Just for curiosity sakes, which pieces are the pot hooks that were mentioned above?

We think these are the iron pieces in the photos on top of the glass-topped table.

-Buck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay focused bud,as I know when hunting a large piece of ground,one tends to always get in a hurry to see whats over the next hill,or further down the feild!
I dont need to tell you ;D Cant wait to see what that produces for ya!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That field should keep you two busy for a while! And I know ya'll will be posting up stunning finds from there!

Good luck! Nana :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Stay focused bud,as I know when hunting a large piece of ground,one tends to always get in a hurry to see whats over the next hill,or further down the feild!
I dont need to tell you ;D Cant wait to see what that produces for ya!!

Yeah, it is So easy to get frantic about it all. Not find something good for 30 minutes, and start losing focus and thinking about the other spot in the other part of the other farm, and so forth. It's tough. It requires discipline. Especially when it all looks the same and nothing to do but look for brick or pottery, or in the case of CW finds, just grid and hope.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread