Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shanegalang and I set out to hunt the spot where he dug the 1796 Spanish over the holidays. Well...it was an interesting day. First off, we stopped and were approached by a farmer that told us of a house site way back in the cane fields on our Plantation property. We asked him a couple of questions, to which he replied with a Cajun answer "I don't know, Me!" :D We hiked back there anyhow, way back in the cane. Man, it gets my pulse up to see the cane stretching back for a mile uninterrupted:

1.jpg

Well, we got out there, and only pack rivets were turning up, and a few pieces of plain white glazed pottery. So after trying to get on something, we hiked back a half a mile to the car.

We decided to drive to another property we've been eyeballing, to try and get permission. The old farmer said "I don't see why there'd be any problem with it." And it is on this day, ladies and gentlemen, that the CaneField Duo has just secured permission for a second LARGE parcel of land. His property is close to 15,000 acres. :headbang: That means we can take our pick of about 25,000 acres to hunt. ;D

So, half our day was spent, with not much found but some very good news, so we wanted to dig something good! We went to survey the property boundaries and started seeing some brick in the field. My friends, this looked to be a VERY good field, based on the pottery we were seeing:

2.jpg

We hunted like mad in the failing light and misting rain, and I ended up the day with a couple CW bullets, camp lead, a bale seal, and a colonial shoe buckle piece that I am happy with (never seemed to find many of those up in Kentucky), and Shanegalang ended up with some flat buttons, two pieces of iron that appear to be modified into cooking pot hooks, and some other interesting bits. We didn't get to spend much time in the field, but I am sure there is more. I am curious about the bell-shaped lead item I dug, if anyone has any ideas. Enjoy the photos.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5a.JPG

5b.JPG

Shanegalang's modified pot hangers:
6.JPG

6b.JPG

7.jpg

7a.jpg

Oh, and I also found a bunch of GawGag! :D

8.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
nice group of pottery shards I really like the mochaware pieces :icon_thumright:

HH

Many seem to enjoy the pottery pieces. I put darn near every one that I found in my pouch, I will clean them and post pictures soon. And will start grabbing them all :)

Good finds and you know there's more! The bell item kind of looks like a door knob.

shanegalang said:
Many seem to enjoy the pottery pieces. I put darn near every one that I found in my pouch, I will clean them and post pictures soon. And will start grabbing them all :)
They are a huge key to dating a site,and showing possible long term occupation :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heck I think I am enjoying the glass more than the metal :wink: Here is what I picked up. I am going to start a collection of just this stuff. I hope you enjoy it. Shane

Attachments

• 100_4834.JPG
    100_4834.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 666
  • 100_4835.JPG
    100_4835.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 100_4836.JPG
    100_4836.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 714
shanegalang said:
Heck I think I am enjoying the glass more than the metal :wink: Here is what I picked up. I am going to start a collection of just this stuff. I hope you enjoy it. Shane

Oh Boy! Now that is pottery that indicates an early Colonial structure. :headbang: With that much debris in the field, I would bet the farm that a nice Colonial trash pit is nearby. :icon_thumleft: Keep your eye out for pipe stems and dig those really low readings. I could bet the farm you two will be digging large 18th century Spanish buttons soon.

Kirk :hello:

Kirk PA said:
shanegalang said:

Oh Boy! Now that is pottery that indicates an early Colonial structure. :headbang: With that much debris in the field, I would bet the farm that a nice Colonial trash pit is nearby. :icon_thumleft: Keep your eye out for pipe stems and dig those really low readings. I could bet the farm you two will be digging large 18th century Spanish buttons soon.

Kirk :hello:
How do you guys determine the age? What indications am I looking for? Heck, most of this stuff looks to me like broken up plates and bowls from 1970, 80 or 90 as far as I can tell. I am a sponge soaking up everything about all of this. And it's easier to ask you then to search Google :wink: I really do appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site. Free college for a coon ass/ (Cajun) Best regards and Happy Hunting, Shane

Thank you Kirk, a great site.......Cheers, Shane

nice finds
those makeshift hooks are cool
you can almost see the curve of the earth in your first pic
rockin :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back