Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Natural light works the best, try photographing outside. Also, blue background color seems to be the best color for coins. If the light is too strong, try moving into slight shadow - experiment with different locations. Good luck.

Richard

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it can be tricky. I am still having trouble once in awhile. Good Luck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photos of the IH cent you found are quite fine. The background color has a good bit to do with it too. I'd go to a fabric shop and get several cheap color swaths from the 10 cent "scraps" bin. Try a photo or two with each and see which turns out the best. I agree that a blue background is generally the best color for a coin--especially silver. Medium-to-dark blue seems to work quite well. I've also seen good results with red--if the coin's patina is a nice green color.

In terms of lighting--I think you've got it down judging from your phenominal IH photos.

Gold coins are more difficult to photograph. I'm sure someone with some experience could add some information about this... I've never photographed one...maybe one day. :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use the highest solution you've got on your camera (mega pixel) try to set it to "close ups" if there is such a button on your camera. (my has a "flower" to show this)

Lightning works good if directed over the right area of the coin.

A flash light can help if light conditions are poor as can a sheet of white paper.
But the best is our sun.

I was into photographing nature a few years back, I did learn a great deal of that. :thumbsup:

Oh and that of how the coin looks has to do with the angle of the camera, similar of holding a flash light in a angle, the light spreads sometimes uneven over the coin.

PS. Try photographing minerals thats harder!! (see pic)
DSCF1788.JPG

Here these I use a flash light for it was very little light out side: (got blurry, kinda hard to keep flash light in one hand and camera in the other and try to get a good pic)
DSCF1677.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1788.JPG
    DSCF1788.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 232

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a magnifying glass directly on the camera lens for closeups. I have also found that natural light is about the best. However...I do get good results with a small lamp with a fluorescent light bulb.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Doctor Marcus or Wirebender posted these photo tips/instructions last Sept.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,109866.msg795782.html#msg795782
Here’s one of his photos and the quoted tip/instructions he posted:

index.php

wirebender said:
ok here are some quick tips.
most (new) digital cameras will work, the photo I took was with a cheap canon powershot. about 200$
even know I have a large SLR with a macro lens and ring flash for my profession, that is overkill.(unless I need to see scratch lines for grading!)
the mega pixel on the camera was 6 MP, but MP is not key to getting a good photo. (a 3 MP will be fine, but about 5-6 is good enough, no need to higher) In fact the photo I posted I downsized the MP to make it smaller.
Lights and focus is the key.
make you you have the macro mode on (usually a little flower button or option on the camera) this will help you focus on the item when the camera is closer then about 2 feet.
there are so many photos I see on here that the focus is off, usually on the ground behind the coin and the hand and coin are out of focus. the macro mode will help this. also take photos on a flat surface , not in the hand if possible about about 90 degree angle will give good results.
don't have a direct light above the coin, usually about 60 degree from source so you get no reflection, but a super small shadow instead. just use a desk light will work fine, no need to purchase any expensive photo lights.
TURN OFF the flash! the flash will be very hard to get good results!
Sorry, but scanning coins or objects with a scanner will produce only fair results, a cheap digital camera is best.
Position the coins in the normal position!! make the coin with the date on the bottom and able to view.
DON'T OVER compress the image, yes I know this is the hard part, the forums only allow a 256k limit to size, so most coins will have to be resized. try to crop as much first instead of recompressing, but only recompress or save when it still too large. usually a mid-level JPEG compression will be fine, don't do low level or quality.

hope some of this helps.

Wirebender
Riverside, Redlands, CA

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Dark background! Tip the coin about 15 degree tward you. Keep the lighting to the coin comming from over your shoulders .

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something else that works it using a flatbed scanner if you have one. I have done that with several items. It works great with coins

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I haven't posted pics of my digs for a while... sheesh! it's been slim!

In the past, I think I've done best with natural light, actually outdoors in the bright California sun.

To my chagrin, the camera I've bought seems to be known far and wide as a half-step, and NOT really capable of better photographs, even though it is far superior than my even older digital camera.

I intend to construct an adjustable holder for my camera, so I may attempt better macro focus within a diffused light box using three separate bulbs. Hopefully I will be able to post nicer pics and information on how I did it!

Best

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
BuckleBoy said:
Gold coins are more difficult to photograph. I'm sure someone with some experience could add some information about this... I've never photographed one...maybe one day. :)

Regards,

Buckleboy

I was able to take a pic of a gold coin once. I was given the half dime in the pic. How did I do on the picture?

DSC01097.JPG
DSC01098.JPG

HH,
Donny

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
here's another way to photograph some coins.Some low light,in this case a small led flashlight.I would suggest using a tripod,I photograghed this pic below in a completely dark room,the only light was the from the small flashlight.You can shoot straight down on the coin or at an angle as in this pic.

3coins1-30-04.jpg

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
djabend said:
I was able to take a pic of a gold coin once. I was given the half dime in the pic. How did I do on the picture?

HH,
Donny

You did an excellent job, but in my eye the color is slightly off on the gold coin.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread