PI machine

mag

Jun 8, 2007
I was hunting Sunday afternoon in one of my old school yards where in years past they dumped the coal waste from the furnaces. This material attracts to a magnet and can cause weird problems for a metal detector especially after a soaking rain. Well anyway I was hunting the area with my (None Whites machine) The machine was very noisy with ticks and clicks and sporadic high tones. After a while I decided to switch to monotone (one tone) and started digging anything that even started to repeat. I came across a very loud signal and knew it was close to the surface, but the VDI numbers were everywhere but mostly in the iron range. Switching over to 4 tone and the audio sounded like pure trash and I can say for sure I would not have dug this target in any setting other than monotone (actually reminds me of the Tesoro Tejon one tone detector) I Also know from experience how some ground conditions and co-located iron objects can cause the VDI to be very bouncy. So I decided to recover this target and at 1” deep, this 10k, dime size white gold ring (1.06g) came up. Out of the ground it read a solid 19 (which is 4 points higher than iron) but the numbers were not even close to that while it was in the ground. I suspect the coal cinders was the reason why the ID numbers were so bouncy and the audio was less than ideal even in monotone. Now with this information I need to re-hunt these school grounds again in monotone. Over the past 4 years we have hunted this area with 4 different Whites machines and a total of 9 other machines and have found none to be ideal for this ground. It is my firm belief that a high quality PI machine might (suspect) allow for the detection of many good targets that are masked in this ground. Has anyone had any experience using the PI in areas like the one described above?​

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PI will bang out the coal and slag just as hard as a VLF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread