Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up an MXT in great shape a couple of weeks ago at a local pawn shop.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ly-good-pawn-shop-deal-white-s-mxt-185-a.html

It came with a rechargeable battery pack and when I emailed White's with the battery date code they told me it was about 11 years old. I'm assuming the detector is around the same age as the battery pack and was wondering if White's had some sort of tune-up or service program where I could send the detector to them and for a fee they could go through it and make sure everything is working properly, calibrated, etc. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, make sure you send the coil as well because they will probably tell you it is out of spec and want to sell you a now one. "Said Tune up"is $60 push shipping both ways.. I would use it first before spending the money.. may work just perfectly how it is. A battery pack that uses AA (you can use rechargeables) is about $12..

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I know the rechargeable battery pack is useless after 11 years, but it also came with the stock battery pack for AAs. I've got it loaded with 4th gen Panasonic Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries and it works great with those.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have been using PowerEX 2700s with great results in my Coilmaster GT and DFXs

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would send it in for a tune up, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good Whites customer service is.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works fine don't fix it, I would only send it in if there's a problem. They won't be able to do anything to a detector that doesn't have a problem to begin with, just check it out real good and clean it up a bit. HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it works fine don't fix it, I would only send it in if there's a problem. They won't be able to do anything to a detector that doesn't have a problem to begin with, just check it out real good and clean it up a bit. HH

I agree. Take your tune up money and shipping cost and buy you a RNB battery and you can hunt for days on a single charge. Take it out and use it first, if you have no problems your golden.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
If you are lucky enough to live near Sweet Home, you should take it in. I have taken my XLT in a few times over the years and it is a very cool place.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Take your tune up money and shipping cost and buy you a RNB battery and you can hunt for days on a single charge. Take it out and use it first, if you have no problems your golden.

The MXT can run 50+ hours on alkaline AAs. Unless you have a V series or TDI machine, save your $$ on the RNB (great battery btw). You would be better served with a U13 coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions