Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think I got a really good pawn shop deal...White's MXT for $185

I'm not familiar with White's at all, but it was sitting in the corner at the pawn shop for $185. I Google'd it and saw MSRP over $500 for any model, so I picked it up. Just gave it a good cleaning. It seems to have been used, but not abused. Surface scratches on the controller, a peeling label and the foam padding is worn down in a couple of places, but no major dents, dings etc. Air tested it and got solid readings back on silver, zinc, nickel and my gold ring. Think I did good. :hello2:

Any suggestions other than an air test that I should do to verify it's proper operation? Also, is that a stock coil on it?

20151024_125846_HDR_zps8yzcc8bh.jpg

20151024_125834_HDR_zps5ror9khh.jpg

20151024_125829_HDR_zpsgb5gqwfx.jpg

20151024_125822_HDR_zpsgbpd6xg1.jpg

20151024_125814_HDR_zpstold4tsb.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say you got a good deal.:headbang: Used they sell anywheres from $400 - $525.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works, looks good, you got a very good deal. I have seen bad machine go for more.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stole it ! Nice buy :icon_thumleft:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be the stock coil. Ya did good. Been a Whites fan for years, and have 4 of them. If you go to the Whites site, you can down load the owners manual, and if any thing goes wrong, their customer service is second to none. Congratulations again.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a great machine, but it does not do well on wet sand at a salt water beach. Works the dry sand great though. I love my MXT, and use it most of the time.

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. I played with it a little yesterday afternoon in the yard. It's definitely a busy little machine(for me)...I swing a Tesoro Silver uMax, which is pretty much turn-on and go. That little toggle switch on the grip will take some getting used to. Oh well, I'll play with it for a month or so and pass it on to someone else if I decide it's not for me.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a heavy Tesoro user, but I also have the MXT, same version as pictured. If you take time to learn and get comfortable with it and add a couple of the optional coils, In my humble opinion you'll have one of the most versatile detectors around. I especially like mine with the elliptical 6X10 coil mounted followed by the 6" or 4X6" shooter coils for trashy areas. The MXT has a continual threshold hum which some find irritating, but I find it doesn't bother me when set at a just audible level which is where it should be, anyway.
luvsdux

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta be honest...had one.It finds metal...BUT it is the loudest,most obnixious beast I have ever swung.Wear headphones or expect to be mounted by a male deer if you use the pinpointer.The threshold sound enuf is enuf to give me nausea.It was deep...but not accurate.just my 2 cents

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
You did REAL good ! That IS the stock coil . I'm now swinging an MXT ALL PRO with a 8x6 SEF coil on it . The only time I ever find it a bit obnoxious is when it goes into OVERLOAD or the Zinc penny tone but you get used to it and even learn to appreciate what it's telling you . It grabs the goods and you can swing it at a decent speed .It's now the detector I use the most of all my detectors .White's builds great detectors and takes good care of their customers . The more you use it the more you will like it . I've had mine a little over a month now and have done real well with it .

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respectfully differ with Bigfoot1. Mine is accurate and threshold is no problem when properly set with a proper ground balance. My only negative impression is the weight.
luvsdux

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You could sell it for more than you paid for it so a great way to try out a detector and not lose a dime!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a 5.3 Eclipse to go with it. I happen to have one for sale

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch is right - the 5.3 eclipse is a great addition.
luvsdux

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You scored bigtime ! I've been using one of these for over 10 years with the 6x10 elliptical coil - solid machine for sure !!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW COME ON FELLAS EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MXT SERIES IS A KILLER WITH AN 8X6 DETECH COIL . THATS MY SET UP ON MY MXT ALL PRO AND IS THAT THE 300MM ? MAN YOU GOT A STEAL AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED AND WHITES GONNA DO IT RIGHT AND HECK OF A PURCHASE .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread