(Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above..(New link to Video)

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Re: (Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above

Curtis,
Ive got alot of dirt to move, but I'm having good luck getting this done. Finding some gold/silver coins would be very historic for the area I'm in, to be honest I'd be happy finding anything of historic value. I'm going very slow, sifting every bag of dirt I bring out of the mine, never now what could be missed if i rush digging, this might take the better part of the summer to complete. I'll keep updates coming... Curtis something interesting about this location, is on the next ridge over from this mine are those carvings of JS and other marks. The other marks appear to be that of Cherokee origin, it is said that the Cherokee help the Spanish with their mining activitys. Swift could have found this area some years after. It's close to one of the main Indian trails. But something has to be hidden here, all the signs point to something hidden. I'll let ya know what I find... -Ki-

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Ki, is this a friend of yours. keeper of the secret. notice how light and shadow can play tricks on the mind.
or is it something else, hmmmm.

Attachments

• da ghost.jpg
    da ghost.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,516

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Their seems to be letters and numbers and what looks to be symbols and that (J)

Attachments

• Numbers Letters.jpg
    Numbers Letters.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,517

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Ki,
Remember the Spanish were bad about putting poison in the mines so wear a respirator when digging in the dirt/dust…some of it like strychnine was slow acting! I think you are right about the fractures rock conducting the minerals from below. That’s it show a lot of stuff gets into a vein form. I hope that when you get the dirt all out the vein doesn’t peter down (pinch) too small…if it does remember it will sometimes go back to a larger one again a little later on by following the crack/fissure. Actually I hope that when you get back there you find the rock that when removed lets you go down into the area Swift mentions that has the ingots and coins in it! The hollow sound under the floor could indicate that it’s the roof of the mine/storage area! I noticed in your picture of the inside that the lower part of the mine seems to have some dark material just above floor level…have you had that assayed? Keep the pictures coming!
Oh here are the Cherokee words for silver and gold will send the site info later (got to find it again).

Attachments

• cherokee gold silver.jpg
    cherokee gold silver.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,424

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:D ELI is "watching you"... :wink: What is ELI's last name? U... something? (EU on side of "wall").
:o ::) (TWILIGHT ZONE theme song playing...). :read2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Reb... Eli's last name was Cleveland. Been rereading some of Mike Steelys book, it talks about Eli in a few areas. One place Steelys writes; Several man who knew D.Boone in the later days of the Ky settlements also knew of Swift or his Mines, and these included John Filson, Robert Breckenridge, Eli Cleveland, John Morton, James Calloway, and James Harrod. Also Steely forgot to mention Micheal Stoner, Boones right hand man. :coffee2:

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Boomer.......
I do see the J now, the numbers appear to be 6? 62 and one more that cant be placed....
That face does look strange, but nothing out of the ordinary has happend here lately.....could be a Indian Spirit..

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Curtis.....
Thanks for the heads up on wearing a mask, would be good to practice in a tight place such as this, its all crawl or standing on your knees in this place. Funny thing is the size of this mine matches the size Swift describes of one of his mines in his journal. I'm excited how this might turn out, got some great weather coming up, also with me mushroom hunting I'll be in this area for a few weeks strait. I hope to get alot of this dirt moved during this time. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the Cherokee words.... -Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Here's the picture of the opening of the mine, you can kinda tell where its been cut out at the opening, it does look like a cross....

Found this in the Steely book; The Swift journals speak of both Spanish and French silver mines within the Old Cherokee holdings, one near one of Swift's workings. James Dougherty's "The legend of Swifts silver mine" notes that the mines were located "in the country claimed by the Cherokee but which were not occupied by them". The area, he wrote, had been the home of the Shawnee, also noted that the mines, or some of them, worked by Swift had been previously worked by the French and Indians, and the French lived in what is now Tennessee......

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Thought id post a pic of "Silver ore" may be helpful to someone that was wondering what Silver would look like in raw form. Notice their seems to be some quartz in with this sliver ore.

Attachments

• 600px-03414_silver_Cobalt-Ontario.jpg
    600px-03414_silver_Cobalt-Ontario.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,400

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Ki, glad you put the photo in. notice the two pointers. they have to be man made, all the cliff face is weathered rock. there has to be something in the direction there pointing. this could have been french/spanish. both used the cross. below is a photo of a cross found on the north fork of the red, near swift creek.

Attachments

• pointers at cave.jpg
    pointers at cave.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,388
  • red river.jpg
    red river.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,375

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Ki,

Great pictures...is the ore pic some of what you found? And have youhad or tried to have the Cherokee carved on the rock interpreted?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

the old newspaper story of finding the mine. in one old paper it tells of the finding of the mine. but the paper is so faded, i,m doing the copy the old way. maybe by sunday? in another it told of a mining company being formed. another tells of an assay report done. see below.

Attachments

• swift mine found 002.jpg
    swift mine found 002.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,371
  • mining co..jpg
    mining co..jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • mine no fable newspaper.jpg
    mine no fable newspaper.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,297

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

would everyone take a look at the photo of the (Rocks That Don't Match). those rocks look like they were broke apart and one side seems to be smooth. could the rocks be a masonry cap that was covering the small opening and someone used a sledge hammer to bust it open? notice the rocks are on this side of the small opening and nothing inside the crawl space. could be they moved them back so they could crawl in to this area. that's all i could think of.

the photo that has a carving of a bell or arrow. the small entry way there, is shaped like a bell.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Curtis,
The ore sample in the pic is not Ky silver ore, just giving this as reference. But i have found something similar, in ways?
I have been thinking about getting some kind of info from a Cherokee Indian, to at least see what the carving is referring too, could be a place, name, or anything. A actual Cherokee might just find something my eyes are missing...

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Boomer,
Thats some great research, very interesting newspaper clips... I wonder if this mine is the one mentioned in one of the storys above. It is in the genral area, as well as the JS and Cherokee carvings...

The rocks that dont match, i once wondered if those rocks were masonary formed, it is possable that this area in the mine had been walled up. Could explain the arrow or bell carving on the wall in this spot. I'll look into this!

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

this manuscript i have is so bad and the newspaper went ahead and put it in miss spelled words and all. i have to guess at some of the wording. so far its been slow. part of it says: found the mouth of the cave, about 3 feet wide and 7 feet high ( sound familar) after ???? 150 feet ??? widened ??? breath of fen feet fath?? on into a large chambeer which ???? chamber ???? 150 feet long ?? 70 wide silver ore. i'll get the rest, office max is helping me on this. there new coping machines are a big help. also another story tells of mrs. timmons, she was working a mine not searching for one. paint creek. there were 9 locations of coins and bars being found. all the way from the mouth to west liberty and it gives the land owners names and locations. this last part, i'll need to go into the old land records of morgan and johnson counties.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Thanks Boomer for working on this, it really does sound like the discription of this mine. Im amazed at you finding these clipings, they are awesome. Which Paint creek? Is it a tributary to the Red River? There is a Paint Creek located near by....

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

relichunters said:
Have you done any detecting in there?
Still removing dirt out of the shaft, haven't really MD the mine yet, once progress is made i plan to do this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions