(Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above..(New link to Video)

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Re: (Pics) mine w/ chestnut burr above

Ok guys the directions to this mine are in both of Henson and Steelys books... Curtis these are from the Draper papers, Directions are as follows: One clue to the location of one mine in the area of Swift camp creek comes from the Draper papers, a collection of manuscripts of central appalachia during the period of Swift.
"seven miles above the mouth is a natural rock bridge w/ water flowing under, and on the northeast side of the creek a short distance is a branch. follow the branch to its head, then climb the ridge leading to the highest part on your right. Go along the ridge to a point that is higher than the others where a large rock seems to have fallen from above, go in between them, this is were we obtained our best ore.
I have been trying to locate this area for the last few years now, the area is very rough. the best time to look in this area is around winter time. I do know that becky timmons looked for Swifts workings all the way from Swift creek, to around the halfmoon area, where she blasted a rock house hoping to open up a mine shaft.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Another piece on the route of the merry men. Osborn Gap Va. from notes, somewhere near Osborn gap is a cave/rockhouse that has several names carved and an ancient indian burial ground near by. oh, one more thing its spooky and haunted.

Attachments

• Osburn Gap 1897.jpg
    Osburn Gap 1897.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 887
  • Osburn Gap 2.jpg
    Osburn Gap 2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 877

JoeSwindell

Feb 1, 2008
Roanoke, Va

How far from Radford are you? I just lost my job...haha I'd be happy to go in caves and do hard manual labor!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Nevermind. Found it. Closer than I thought too. DMSDAK, it's at there at Shelby Gap according to Google. I just can't remember if Pine Mtn Stone has Blasted that section yet. I was just by there Fri. too..

DMSDAK

Jul 30, 2006
Southeast Bluegrass
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass

I dont think its blasted yet. If you go to the Pine Mountain Trail website, they have USGS style TOPO maps of the trail from the top of Jenkins Mountain at the Gas station all the way to The Breaks. If you follow the trail it goes right through Osborne Gap, and If I remember it hasnt been blasted yet. Id like to visit it sometime and check that cool rock out.

Seth

DMSDAK

Jul 30, 2006
Southeast Bluegrass
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass

Forgot to mention that I have walked that trail all the way to the back of Rocky Hollow but no farther yet.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

It mentions they went between "two" standing rocks, described by Swifts friends. i wonder if these could be the two monument rocks spoke of in the journal?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Ki,

Haven't heard much from ya, found the cache and on an island in the Bahamas?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain

Ki, this is in your back yard. spout spring is just south of clay city.

The Mt. Sterling advocate
MT. STERLING, KENTUCKY, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 1901

Swift Silver Mine Again.
Quite a little excitement was created on our streets a few days ago by the finding of the pots and cinder where swift mined silver. The find is about three miles from City and the finder says Swift's mine is near by. There is talk of a strong company being formed to locate and develop the mine. ---
Spout Spring Times.

remember that pots and cinder was found on lower devil's creek. Squire Boone had a salt making operation there, during the days of Boone's fort and as it goes, every find has to be swifts. maybe i'll run onto more of this story.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boomer, yes it will pay to track down every lead that comes up. Ki, if you check this one out please take some of those great pictures!

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Hey Boomer, Curtis.....
I'm very familiar with SpoutSprings, amazing research and finds my friend. I can remember back when i was a child my mother and father taking me there and getting drinking water from that spring. It has since been closed to the public, why i have no clue. I have found studying the Indian and buffalo trails that the Buffalo trace and warriors path ran directly by this spring, it is also said that Daniel Boone himself used this spring.

When i get the chance I'll try and get some pictures of this place, its not to far from where i live, very beautiful country. I agree every good lead needs checked out, never know when a valuable clue could be found, esp this being beside an old Indian trail. I'm quite sure this spring was used frequently by both Indians and Buffalo....

Thanks guys, your friend and fellow treasure hunter -Ki-

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We wish you the best Ki! I will miss your posts, you have been a most excellent Tnet friend! Take all the money and bullion out, then later on let us know where the mine is so we can have some closure...well maybe not closure as there are always the other mines! Good luck and God Bless you and yours!

Curtis

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Good Luck my friend, and keep in touch! :thumbsup:

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears

Sorry to loose you here, Ki. I've always enjoyed your posts and respected your knowledge and dedication.
Please do stay in touch.

--Chris

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

A big thanks you guys, a friend helped me realize a major factor i was forgetting! I'll still be around, heck i couldnt walk away now with a legend as great as this, it truley is hard to walk away. I should be back out soon, my body is healing just fine. I look forward to getting back to this area, im so very close. I even had a dream about it a few nights back, i feel this was my sign.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Ki,

We missed you at the "meeting of the minds"! Hope you are about healed enough to get out and about. Le me know if there is anything we can do(like go dig up the silver) for you! ha ha

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

I really hated i couldn't make it, i would of loved meeting all you guys... maybe we all could plan another meeting of sorts in the fall, maybe here in the Red River Gorge, or around natural bridge state park. I could give a tour of Indian Old Fields, and where the old war paths were, Blackburns grave, and many more things found in these parts. Theirs so many things it would take a few weekends to cover. In these parts the fall would probably be the best because its pretty must jungle like right now, almost impassable from all the under growth. If we couldn't get another meeting together, one or two, or how ever many of you guys could meet up with me and we could get out, talk and look around. Curtis id really like you to bring your instrument to a few places Ive come across.
I appreciate your concerns, I'm getting almost back to myself, id say I'm at 95% at the moment, and plan to get back up in the woods this weekend or next. Ive really missed it, and i really hated that i missed getting to meet all you guys, i bet talking with Steely was awesome! Tell you what ill work on another meeting of sorts for this area this fall, around October sometime if everyone is up for it. I'm thinking Natural bridge state park, let me know if you all would be up for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions