timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would have missed that one. But I've gotten very good at knowing which rims are silver, even if they kind of look clad. I always spot them even before I date search them.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think it comes from experience.

DW

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Darth Walker said:
AS per Rich here is the picture

DW

Thanks Darth for posting that picture. I would not have missed that coin,but then I search a lot of halves.
One does have to be on the lookout while edge searching with some of the 40% coins. I've run across several that have a copper/pinkish edge that could easily be mistaken for clad.
Who knows how many of these I missed when I first started CRH?
HH
Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
When it comes to halves I rely more on the sound of the coins while searching than looking at the rim. Open the roll and drop them into my hand and listen for the sound of silver.

Yep, snakeman, sound is the best way. I have had 1k bags where I can just stir them around in the bag without seeing them and know there is silver in there. My wife cherrypicked my last bag I got so I went back after pouring in what she had pulled out and heard silver going back into the bag. Did the rim/drop search and found 6 more.

midnight run

Mar 21, 2009
AGCoinHunter said:
SnakemanBill said:

Yep, snakeman, sound is the best way. I have had 1k bags where I can just stir them around in the bag without seeing them and know there is silver in there. My wife cherrypicked my last bag I got so I went back after pouring in what she had pulled out and heard silver going back into the bag. Did the rim/drop search and found 6 more.
Take care of your hearing guys. I am only 25 and have already lost enough hearing that I can not distinguish the sound of silver. It is a real bummer when i read threads like this. :(

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midnight run said:
AGCoinHunter said:
SnakemanBill said:

Take care of your hearing guys. I am only 25 and have already lost enough hearing that I can not distinguish the sound of silver. It is a real bummer when i read threads like this. :(

Sorry to hear that MR. I cant say that I was very kind to my hearing as a teenager and I am sure I have some hearing loss. I know for sure I turn on my selective hearing when my wife starts in on me about something. :) I notice more and more people with Ipods walking aimlessly around with their ear buds going full blast. We are going to have multiple generation of deaf people spawned from these things.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
all i do is rimsearch and i don't feel that i have missed any. i would have at least suspected a 40 and eyeballed that coin to check. most coins that i see like that end up being a 71. like i said i edgesearch and check anything that is suspicious

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen 40%ers that you would have never even known were silver unless you either dropped it and heard it, or looked at the date. Sometimes they look exaclty like a clad rim, but the copperish part look slightly lighter in color. I've seen other ones that have had a reddish tone on the rim and they were silver. It doesn't hurt to date search, takes longer though. If your searching thousands of dollars worth every other day, it probobly would make sense to just rim search. But you can also find clad proofs, and errors by date searching. To each his own method.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions