Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures of artifacts please

I am starting this thread in the hopes that the members of this forum will flood it with pictures of all the various artifacts they have found and or collected over time. I figured this thread could provide novice hunters and collectors with a vast wealth from which to learn from and compare to.

I thank you all for helping further my education as well as others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple from the same site, years ago. No doubt that the one on the right is a Bolen Bevel, but I've always been a little hesitant to type the left one the same. Too dovetailly a looking base, but we don't have those in south Georgia that I know of, unless one was brought back from way off, then resharpened the way local folks were used to. Two different black materials, both of which are unusual to find around these parts. I can count the black points I've found in my life on one hand, not counting those with creek stain. I don't know enough about lithic types to even guess. Thoughts?

100_0612.JPG

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd type the one on the left a Bolen before the other. One on the right could be one of several types. Pics aren't good enough for me to guess material. Nice finds!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB is what I'd say for the left one and maybe Palmer on the other. Nice pieces. Congrats. I also can not see the material that well from your pics. Coastal Plains Chert may be a good candidate for material based on your location.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll see if I can take some better pics, although if you click on it 3 times each point fills the screen still pretty sharp. I can see the one on the right having the general outline of a Palmer, but I didn't think they were normally beveled. Thanks for your input on the one on the left.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in the river in about 6 inches of water. Looks like it might be made from Jasper. IMG_20191206_150539003_HDR.jpg IMG_20191206_150529905_HDR.jpg

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little serrated flake knife, Micro serrations 100_6755.JPG

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All from one site Tilly's Hill N California .

Attachments

• PC102567.JPG
    PC102567.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 87

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20191208_040233.jpg 20191208_032907.jpg 20191208_040204.jpg
My fossil buddy called me yesterday. He traded for 6 big tubs of fossils from here in Florida.
The guy told him there were "a few" artifacts as well. We went through 2 tubs yesterday and found all these broken points, bone pins, & dozens of big scrapers, cores & flake knives. We found 6 whole points but only 1 was really nice. I'll post a pic of it soon.
There were a lot of fossils too. Some mastadon stuff & gator bones. A few sharks teeth. We have 4 more to go through this week.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1777798 View attachment 1777800 View attachment 1777803
My fossil buddy called me yesterday. He traded for 6 big tubs of fossils from here in Florida.
The guy told him there were "a few" artifacts as well. We went through 2 tubs yesterday and found all these broken points, bone pins, & dozens of big scrapers, cores & flake knives. We found 6 whole points but only 1 was really nice. I'll post a pic of it soon.
There were a lot of fossils too. Some mastadon stuff & gator bones. A few sharks teeth. We have 4 more to go through this week.

That is awesome! Did this guy not know what he had or just wanted someone who would appreciate it to have it?

larrys0411

Dec 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you know the back story on this really awesome piece?
Do you believe it to be authentic.....and old?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is awesome! Did this guy not know what he had or just wanted someone who would appreciate it to have it?
I never met him but will soon and view his collection. Apparently he collected heavily in the 70's on family & relatives land in N. Florida and has an awesome collection. Getting old ( who isn't ) and branched off years ago into collecting fossils, minerals, etc.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20191208_211325~2.jpg
Here's a nice little Newman we found in one of the tubs. There were at least
a dozen or more snapped off Newman's, Marion's & Kirks that would have been over
4 inches long we moaned about!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Those bone pins are cool. I have a bunch of them that I have picked up from Florida sellers over the years. I think many of them are very, very old. A couple of the broken ones I have were identified as ivory, and one is a dense marine mammal bone. (Probably manatee.) The nice thing about broken pins is you can see the cross section of the bone/ivory easier.

Joshua

View attachment 1777803

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the follow up to post 362, page 25 with pictures that I hope are a little better. All three came from the same site in south Georgia and appear to be of at least two different types of black chert. When backlit, the small one looks like CPC, but still dark. Hoping someone who knows material better than I do can tell me what I've got. Unusual to land find unstained black around these parts. If the pictures still don't cut the cheese, I'll just have to give up.

blacks.jpg black6.jpg black4.jpg

black12.jpg black7.jpg black11.jpg

black5.jpg black3.jpg black9.jpg

black8.jpg black1.jpg black10.jpg

black2.jpg black.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread