Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: pig roast

oh yum those look good! Make sure you make enough to share with all of us now that you have us drooling! lol

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

did one a few years back, would love to do it again, make sure you have enough bb sauce, we were out camping and different people were to bring supplys, the guy with the sauce brought one quart, could have wrung his neck, about 30 miles to the nearest store

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

I didn't do the cooking. A buddy of mine does this for a living, so I let him go at it. I invited everyone that I knew. We had a 50/50 drawing and everyone brought a dish to pass. We had a great time and the 50/50 paid for the pig. The only problem was that I spent hours the next morning washing pots and pans. Was well worth seeing all my friends come together and having a great time.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

I've been interested in this method for a long time so I did a little more research and found this for us all.

Rock-Lined Pit:

Dig hole 2 ½ to 3 feet deep at center with a diameter of 5 to 7 feet, depending on the size of the pig.

Line the pit with rocks.

Light fire.

Additional small round rocks should be place in fire to be heated.

As fire burns down, wet the burlap and dress pig as desired.

Place pig on chicken wire.

Under the legs make slits big enough to insert round heated rocks.

When rocks are very hot, use tongs to fill the abdominal cavity and slits.

Tie front legs together, then back legs.

Wrap pig in chicken wire, fastening well so it can be lifted.

Completely cover ashed coals and rocks with corn stalks and leaves or grass trimmings.

Lower pig onto the leaves.

Cover it generously on top with some leaves .

Place wet burlap over leaves to hold the heat and steam the pig.

Cover with large canvas!!!

Shovel dirt or gravel over canvas to keep steam in.

Estimated cooking times:

2 hours for 25 pound live weight.

2 ½ hours for 50 pound live weight.

4 hours for 75 pound live weight.

8 hours for 150 pound live weight.

When in doubt, leave it in the pit a bit longer. The pig will not burn as it is cooked by the steam.

Start cooking 12 hours ahead of serving time depending on the above table, periodically checking internal temperature.

When pig reaches 160 degrees F move the pig away from the heat.

An estimated 1-2 hours will keep the pig warm without drying out.

-Time is a variant! One must be flexible in the timing and cooking process, checking the hog often is essential.

Hope you enjoy your hog roast! :snorting:

Lonnie

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Gosh, put a bug in my ear about this!
Have been wanting to do a pig for a long time.
Was at a tourist pig roast on Maui once but was preoccupied to really take notice how they did it.
The galvanised wire is a big NO-NO.
I may try to get one together this summer as I know a place up in the hills where there are a bunch of "hillbillies" even in Oregon. :D
Great post!

Greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Pork Jerky?
What does Dave say about that?
Can it be done, I don't know. As I said, just a bug in my ear for now, but I am thinking in the coast range near Gales Creek. That's where my Jan moved to.
Nice creek there we want to try and pan also. Have to watch out for the goats.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

It really sounds great!

Watch your cooking time!
More is better...

And here's MY deep pit pig story. ;D

Dan and his wife threw good sized BBQ parties on a regular basis.
Some got pretty large...
All the usual vittles.

So Dan decides to try a pig in a pit.
He buys a whole hog from a local custom butcher and has it iced down well, in the pickup truck when he stops by the favored watering hole in the afternoon before the party.

A lively crowd and Dan's having too much fun.

Well, Dan claims some Hawaiian guy at the bar told him he could cook the pig in half the time if it was prepped a certain and specific way. Happy with the new recipe, Dan closed the bar and the pig didn't get in the ground 'til the next morning.

Later that evening, with the bash in full swing, and about 60 hungry people it was decided to dig up that pig so everyone could eat something besides salads and veggies...

I'll tell yah right now, it's pretty gross to see a mob of drunks eating pieces off a mostly raw pig!

Take precautions that you have an experienced cook oversee the prepwork and cooking.

I wish I'd drank enough that night to forget that trainwreck!

Best,
rmptr

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

greydigger said:
Pork Jerky?
What does Dave say about that?
Can it be done, I don't know. As I said, just a bug in my ear for now, but I am thinking in the coast range near Gales Creek. That's where my Jan moved to.
Nice creek there we want to try and pan also. Have to watch out for the goats.

Have never tried making jerky from pork and not sure if that would be a good idea or not. Would love to go panning and roast a pig though and I am sure David would love it as well. Goats?? Oh boy...gonna have to take the camera! ;D

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oh yeah,now i'm pumped! thought it would take longer to cook.i made something called"conchinita pibil"last week,cubed pork marinated in orange juice,garlic,oregano,jalalpenos,cilantro,wrapped in bananna leaves then roasted at 350 for 4 hours,served with fresh salsa and warm tortillas..............AWESOME!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bomber said:
oh yeah,now i'm pumped! thought it would take longer to cook.i made something called"conchinita pibil"last week,cubed pork marinated in orange juice,garlic,oregano,jalalpenos,cilantro,wrapped in bananna leaves then roasted at 350 for 4 hours,served with freash salsa and warm tortillas..............AWESOME!
i got gout just from reading that :thumbsup: :coffee2:

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when we get closer to the date(end of july)your all invited.........ROADTRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Wow!

The conchinita pibil sounds great, Bomber!

I'm gonna write down those ingredients.

rmptr

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

bomber said:
anybody ever do one?not go to one,but actually do it yourself.thinking about doing one in July.gonna try and do it right,digging a pit,coals,wrapping that sucker(we figure 100 #er) in banana leaves and letting it cook for about 12-15 hours.any advise would be appreciated

Did quite a few when I lived in Hawaii, you do need to use non galvanized wire like Grey Digger mentioned. The hardest parts are digging the pit, finding enough rocks (stones) to line it with and building the large bed of coals (fire). We did two fires, one in the pit to get the stones hot and another to cover it up with.

Prepping the pig doesn't take a lot of work, we only stuffed the belly with wet seasoned rice then wetted and wrapped banana leaves around the pig with a seasoning like Dales but over there Hula Hula sauce is a favorite, then wrapped wet burlap sacks, and finished it off with more leaves and the wire to hold it all in. Once you have the good bed of coals ready spread out and line the bottom with them well and drop the pig in. We tied wire on the ends of the chicken wire to give us something to use. It makes it easier to put it down with pull it out so we didn't need to reach or get down in the pit. Cover with more coals well and cover it all with dirt. You should have a small raised mound once the dirt is packed over it. We usually planned and waited about 10 - 12 hours but like also mentioned depends on size hog. Most of ours were in the 200 lb range. It won't burn if it is left longer.

We just partied while it was cooking till the next day, dig it out once ready, (gloves help as the wire is hot) unwrap and serve.

mmmmmmmmmmm now I am hungry lol

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i put the whole Conchinita Pibil receipe under Receipes. ENJOY EVERYBODY AND HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions