Pink spear point and my frame

bcarmack1

May 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little over 3 inches ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298910.007721.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298950.358197.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298972.507808.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bcarmack1

May 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its either a hand held spear point or a point from a light spear used on an atlatl. Its too big and heavy to be an arrowhead for a bow and arrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcarmack1

May 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be, caddo river , arkansas

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say knife to seeing it is rounded towards the tip. Sure is a nice eye catcher.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the whole knife vrs. point thing gets confusing at times. I see a lot of found points posted as knives and think to myself..."what are the chances of a knife point being randomly lost vrs. an atlatl point".... seems a lot of the time those knife points cold very well be projectile points instead.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I feel the opposite. I think that more knives get called points than points get called knives, by far.

I am sure there are way more knives and scrapers out there than lanceolate or dart points.

It took way more knives and scrapers to deal with the butchering tasks, and other things than to kill the critters.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All are really nice! I have more knives than spear points and the local archaeologist told me that the Native Americans were always recycling things so it may have been a spear point that was shaped into a knife. There is no telling what it was used for but it's a beauty.

OP
OP
B

bcarmack1

May 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what i was thinking , could be used as both just depends on what was needed at the time, or if it got too dull.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
NC, your hope springs eternal doesn't it? :thumbsup:

for some reason Aerosmith's dream on just popped into my head though.

It's yours bcarmack1, so you can ignore all the good opinions you like and call it whatever you want to. I can tell you this though, they knew how to sharpen things especially stuff that big.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is were these knives all hafted.I have what I consider knives that are not tanged but have round ends.Obviously there are different styles of knives with different hating techniques.I guess if I was gonna make a knife it would be a big flake knife...mjm

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I sure agree there, not all knives were halfted. Just a simple small sharp flake would have been sufficient to do some cutting. Probably the reason we find so many utilized flakes on sites.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure agree there, not all knives were halfted. Just a simple small sharp flake would have been sufficient to do some cutting. Probably the reason we find so many utilized flakes on sites.

Very good point quito. Not to hi-jack this thread I will start one on knives.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the opposite. I think that more knives get called points than points get called knives, by far.

I am sure there are way more knives and scrapers out there than lanceolate or dart points.

It took way more knives and scrapers to deal with the butchering tasks, and other things than to kill the critters.
I think it depends on the material, as far as how many knifes or scrapers might have been needed/carried by an individual. I have a friend that was teaching a skinning class, and they used ONE 4 inch obsidian knife to skin and butcher a 1000 lb bull buffalo, and it was still razor sharp and useable afterwards. (This was from a blade his wife found on their land near here, and he had an antler handle made for it.) From what I have seen, a good quality knife, (made of good material) would have lasted a really long time, maybe even a life time if it was well taken care of.....(just my observance).

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I am having a hard time believing the buffalo story. Obsidian flake maybe sharper than steel but steel will hold an edge longer. I know how often I must steel my steel knife to keep it sharp to work effectively . It's very often.

Razor sharp wouldn't last very long at all steel or especially glass, and the 4 inch blade would need so many sharpenings I don't see it lasting very long.

You ever skin anything with a hide iamzim?

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having a hard time believing the buffalo story. Obsidian flake maybe sharper than steel but steel will hold an edge longer. I know how often I must steel my steel knife to keep it sharp to work effectively . It's very often.

Razor sharp wouldn't last very long at all steel or especially glass, and the 4 inch blade would need so many sharpenings I don't see it lasting very long.

You ever skin anything with a hide iamzim?
Yes, I have, and I saw him do it with a buffalo. I'm ok with it if you disbelieve me, but I watched him do it, so I know what I saw. :icon_thumleft: I will say, I have skinned many elk and many deer, but I have not myself used a stone knife. But I did watch my friend skin and cut up the buffalo with one, so, that is why I said what I said. :laughing7: That being said, I had to use three knives to skin and butcher the elk I got this year, and I had to resharpen as I went.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread