Pinpointing the Quattro... Seems impossible!

P

phxAZ

Hi, the quattro came today. And yea, I've only taken in the backyard for a bit to test. However, my first impression is... the pinpointing is near impossible! That, or I really need to crank down sensitivity (if it affects pinpointing).

The ACE 250 I have is super easy to pinpoint with. The Quattro, the pinpoint signal can show full bars for many inches around the target. I'm digging 5" wide holes and sometimes not even finding it in the that hole.

Is the quattro notorious for having poor pinpointing, especially in areas where multiple targets may be in close proximity? Will the pinpoint discrim iron if I am in coin mode, or could the trash near by affect it? I have discriminating iron, in fact using on coin mode, and I get hits all over, and I know from using the ACE 250 back there, the place is loaded with iron junk, but not coins (recent build track home).

Anyways, sounds like its time for a pocket pinpointer....

Any tips on this... I am using the "cross" method to find the intersect.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

I use the EXP II. But I believe they both use the double D coil.
What I do and many others do is. While the coil is over the target, switch to pin point mode. Then sweep the coil slowly in 5 inch sweeps side to side while dragging the coil backwards until the signal stops. And then the same forward until the first signal and stop immediatly. The target then should be directly straight down from the front center outside edge of your coil. Takes a little practice to learn, but once you get it down, it's much more accurate than Xing. HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
phxAZ said:
Hi, the quattro came today. And yea, I've only taken in the backyard for a bit to test. However, my first impression is... the pinpointing is near impossible! That, or I really need to crank down sensitivity (if it affects pinpointing).

The ACE 250 I have is super easy to pinpoint with. The Quattro, the pinpoint signal can show full bars for many inches around the target. I'm digging 5" wide holes and sometimes not even finding it in the that hole.

Is the quattro notorious for having poor pinpointing, especially in areas where multiple targets may be in close proximity? Will the pinpoint discrim iron if I am in coin mode, or could the trash near by affect it? I have discriminating iron, in fact using on coin mode, and I get hits all over, and I know from using the ACE 250 back there, the place is loaded with iron junk, but not coins (recent build track home).

Anyways, sounds like its time for a pocket pinpointer....

Any tips on this... I am using the "cross" method to find the intersect.

Thanks!

I never had a quattro but I did own an Excalibur. One of the reasons I sold it was this pinpointing problem on deep targets. It worked okay on shallow stuff but for the deeper I sometimes ended up with a plug 12 inches wide.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Have had a Quattro for about 7 months. Once you get the knack of pinpointing it's very easy and accurate. Only on very shallow targets can I "miss". Key is to slow down and isolate the target before pinpointing. Take a dime and throw it on the ground and practice pinpointing. Also, you need to learn the machine. Take it to a place that does not have a lot of targets and is realatively Iron free.

Mirage

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rvbvetter said it best. The Quattro does not pinpoint in the center of the coil like a concentric coil but off the front edge. Lay a coin down under a newspaper and practice finding it.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread