Pinpointing with Whites

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
Hey

I bought a used XLT on ebay.....the jury is still out on whether or not I got screwed :)

It seems to work fine EXCEPT the pinpointing isn't at all what I expected. I can set a quarter on the ground, hold the trigger and pass over it and it just shows 13.5" most of the time. Every now and again I can get it to work from one direction.

Question is.....does this sound broken to you, or do I need to read the manual about 300 more times and practice?

Its great to have a place to ask these questions.....noone else around my house is interested.

Thanks,
Jim

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Soon It'll be up and runnin. Great news! I ran into a dealer like that, some months ago.
He was a real whealer dealer. If it had of been a 100 years ago, I think he would of been trying to sell me a rustled horse. HH

J

joetoffton

On the congaree swamp and confederate site. I think it iis classed as a state Historical park.

I would check that out before going there.

Joe

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
yep......i think he told me the truth on that one. i checked today and it is part of the heritage trust in sc. oh well.........

J

joetoffton

I am 84,i still metal detect. have visited every state except south Dakota and Alaska.
I have found that as a rule, if you approach them as a professional , with business card, and in a professional way, you know call, make an appointment, keep the appointment on time. Most of the people in charge will welcome a responsible person or even a small group but they will call the time
and send a representitive with you. Normally you will be able to keep most coins. things of historical
value will , understandably, go to the rep. for their museom. This way they get artifacts that they would never get, you get the experiance andjust maybe a very good coin.

Joe

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an XLT and I love it. Got it on ebay and everything ;) . I learn something new just about my machine everyday. As you use the machine , any machine in fact you have to learn it's in and outs......... :o OK I'll get off the soapbox :-\

one of the features of the XLT:

Pro options > Audio > Ratchet Pinpointing: is the ability to turn on / off the ratchet pinpointing feature. Most of the preset programs have this feature set to ON, but I'd check to make sure. You definitely have to squeeze and hold the trigger for pinpointing with this machine. Try digging a small hole and placing your coin at the bottom hole and pinpoint it. Vary the depth of the hole and the position of the coin i.e..... set the coin on edge or slightly angled............and do it again and again until you get a feel for it..........this will also help you identify the tones your machine makes at the different depths and angles of coins. With a little practice I'm sure it will work fine. One of the other things that might be giving you a bit of trouble with pinpointing is if there are several items in the ground, it might be difficult to isolate just one item giving you a fluctuation in the depth readings and pinpointing ability..... Sweeping your coil from a different directions can help isolate items i.e..... instead of side to side, sweep forward and back. Good luck and happy hunting.

psgen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread