Pinpointing with Whites

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
Hey

I bought a used XLT on ebay.....the jury is still out on whether or not I got screwed :)

It seems to work fine EXCEPT the pinpointing isn't at all what I expected. I can set a quarter on the ground, hold the trigger and pass over it and it just shows 13.5" most of the time. Every now and again I can get it to work from one direction.

Question is.....does this sound broken to you, or do I need to read the manual about 300 more times and practice?

Its great to have a place to ask these questions.....noone else around my house is interested.

Thanks,
Jim

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure with The XLT, But Arn't you Supposed to Press & Release , Pres & Release, Etc. Till it Narrows the Signal to a Blip ?

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
hey

the owners manual says to either push it forward till it clicks and stays, or continuously hold the trigger toward you.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, Wasn't Sure.

I had a 6000-D & I needed to Detune Over The Target to Narrow Down.

MABY someone else can Explaine Then.

Good Luck.

Jeff

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own the XLT but have a IDX pro. Whites coils are concentric (an upside down cone). I have to raise my coil to pin point accurately. This narrows the pattern. A coin on top of the ground may not be detected properly. Detectors are meant to find thing under/in the ground. If you suspect it is broken I would go to a dealer and talk. He would be knowledgeable and you may find a friend.

Ed Donovan

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
That's why I've never bought any detecting equipment off of e-bay. You just can't be 100% sure of what you're getting. I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have gotten good deals buying from e-bay but I'll just pay a little more and get what I need from my local dealer to have piece of mind. And a warranty
Now I know this sounds stupid but it is a common mistake. Make sure your practicing over clean ground. Here on the farm there is so much iron trash in the ground it's hard to find a clean spot to ground balance. I read a post from a guy who was trying to practise pinpointing in his living room. Couldn't understand why his detector was beeping like crazy. It just may have had something to do with the nails in the floor joists, nails in the subfloor, electrical wiring and plumbing pipes. ::)
I just don't know enough about the XLT to be of any real help. But generally pinpointing is pretty much a no brainer. Good luck in getting it figured out. :)

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
Hmmmmmm....... I just took it to the park and found a little kids nickel in the play sand ;D

I took ed's advice and held the coil up and it pinpointed correctly.

last dumb question, i reburied the nickel and pinpointed it a few times. Instead of the pinpointing in the center. it always hits on the left side of the coil.....does that sound normal?

Sorry to hit you guys with all these picky questions, but you don't get much customer service when you buy and xlt for $350 :)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all pin point centers are perfectly centered. I would think that the point would be in line with the shaft and a little out or in from there. Varies from machine to machine sometimes.

Ed

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ASK AWAY jreamy.

WE LIVE FOR ANSWERING QUESTIONS.

? ?WHEN WE ARE NOT ASKING THEM OURSELVES? :)

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
well......i can put this thread to rest, i drove over to the local whites dealer......turns out we have one afterall :)

he opened it up and it was full of red dust and corrosion and he said that the whole electronics box would have to be replaced.

looks like i paid 350 for a used disc, a rod and a scratched up screen :(

on a positive note, i tried out one of his new xlt's and i freakin love it!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got hosed. Definitely complain to Ebay, if of nothing but to alert them of a bad seller. The red dust, could it be rust? The XLT electronics box is not sealed and a lot of use in a marine environment (the ocean beach) would explain a lot. But like I said a trip to a dealer may make you a good friend. Let us know if you get any satisfaction from Ebay.

I did not purchase a detector from Ebay as I don't trust the sellers for more than $100. Just me being carefull.

Ed

W

whites6000inPa

I have my doubts as to whether the entire control box would have to be replaced. Sounds like a dealer who would rather sell you a new detectr...an easy task when somebody already pretty much thinks they got the dirty end of the stick. YOu ought to pack up the detector...just the control box and coil, and send it to a white's service center. The labor charge is 45 bucks....and they'll tell you what the damages will be before they do any repairs.

I'll bet it's not a complete loss.

Wyatt

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
i agree! after thinking it thru, i filed a paypal complaint and an ebay complaint. im sending it in to whites tomorrow and see what they say!

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Contact the seller also and ask for a refund. He probably stated it was in good condition. If he's half way honest he will do the right thing and you'll just be out double freight.
Glen

R

rvbvetter

Whats the sellers rating? Is he a power seller? If he is and his rating is 97% or better. Then he probably wasn't aware, and will do just about anything to make it right. In order to keep his rating from being damaged. HH

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
Well that worked out! I paid $350 for the detector, the seller is going to refund me $225 and the dealer said worst case scenario would be $250 plus postage. Even though the waiting sucks, I guess you can't do much better than a fully functional xlt for that price ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Newbie, Soon you will have what you deserve, a working detector. When you get it back Have fun!

Ed

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
I had to vent somewhere.......so I guess you guys (and lady or two) get to hear it :)

I shipped the unit to the service center in va, based on what my local whites dealer said was wrong with it (basically that it was a paperweight). The service center just called me a moment ago and said the only problem with the unit was that it needed a new coil and the battery contacts were dirty. He updated it with Whites new software, new coil and a good cleaning for $165, including taxes and shipping.

I was hoping to make a new friend with the local dealer, but it turned out he was just a crook trying to take advantage of a newbie >:( i run my own business also, and i'll never understand why people act that way!

There are some confederate earthworks in the middle of the Congaree swamp near here and this same guy told me NEVER go there because you would get arrested.....so now i think he is even trying to keep me out of a good spot. This place is so far in the woods i think Bigfoot with a cell phone would be the only one to complain (if he has service). What a CROOK!

OP
OP
jreamy4

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
PS..... I want to thank everyone for their help. You guys saved me ALOT of $$$$$$ with your advice.

Thanks Again,
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread