OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a pic of actual chest hole... its hard to see the hole for it has overgrown...
It is a well known spot...
This chest was removed from a park property by 4 male individuals in a bow rider style boat..
They were seen by two park rangers in late 1989 placing "A large rusty chest like box" on bow of the boat with a struggle.
The chest was estimated to be at a rough depth of three feet from surface soil by guesses of size of chest...
which was described as a "like a larger sized cooler".

P.S.> This is not something I saw in some book or on the internet...

I knew one of the park rangers personally and have heard his account on many occasions.

Probably on an island in Tampa Bay. I may have a possible location in that area. I have PMnd you in the past with no reply.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice "void"...

Oh I forgot to add "why the chest depth was in my opinion at only three feet in this instance...
It was very close to water... 40ish feet inland perhaps...
If the chest was three feet rough down... and chest was say 2 foot high... welp that's 5 feet...
They would have definitely hit water. So coincidence they stopped ? quick bury ?... water was caving in hole ?... who knows.
But thar she lay.

Time to go dream, G' night.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Island in in Tampa Bay...
Island has changed a lot due to erosion from many years of storm surges...
It is much smaller than I once knew it as...
All of that area has changed a lot from rising waters and erosion etc as well.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is not your thread we are talking about, it is mine. If I wanted it unlocked I would ask the moderator if they would be willing to. I don't and I haven't.
Its Tims way or the highway lol. Ok I read some complaints about your thread being locked. You are correct, it is your thread to do as you please. I will no longer be concerned about it and I hope this will be the end of it. And I hope everyone will be nice on this thread so the same thing wont happen here. Good luck and welcome back to TN.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Point taken. I was the "thread starter" or original poster (OP) just as I am the thread starter (OP) on this thread. As you said it is up to you as to whether a thread should be unlocked, not me or another member.

I was honestly trying to help you Tim. I noticed a mutual friend was still upset after all this time and I assumed you were too. But you obviously dont want or need my help. I really dont care anything about the thread and I doubt I could have had any influence. I was just trying to be friendly and helpful. Treasure Hunter made the decision after numerous warnings and you seem to be satisfied with it. Nothing else needs to be said.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
AND...
By the way...
Nothing "sinks" that is buried 50 foot aground... let alone 100.
The only change is sand deposit.
Only time stuff sinks is when sand is fluid.
Ok I am done now ... have fun.

I appreciate your comments AARC. It seems to make sense too.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just to verify AARC. Are you saying that an item buried in Florida at 6 feet deep into wet sand, below the water table will not sink? Im just asking because I dont know. ...and it is kinda important.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every other guy "back in the day"... was a tracker...
Their life depended on it.

Small quick sufficient hole... then disguised as if no one was even there.
That is how it was done.
My two cents worth.

I have always thought about how someone would dig a deep hole quickly to bury whatever it was that they were trying to conceal with the tools that they had back in the 18th century. Firstly, the tools were well guarded and custom made by Blacksmiths. The weight of the shovel itself was overbearing, not to mention the primitive nature not being friendly geometry or physics in the design.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431325736.662747.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought about how someone would dig a deep hole quickly to bury whatever it was that they were trying to conceal with the tools that they had back in the 18th century. Firstly, the tools were well guarded and custom made by Blacksmiths. The weight of the shovel itself was overbearing, not to mention the primitive nature not being friendly geometry or physics in the design.

View attachment 1159688

Beings I own some of those tools ...
And have used them in "tests"...
They were as good then (almost) as they are today.
In fact in a recent post by Crusader here on Tnet...
he used an identical shovel to dig a rather large hole it what appeared to be compacted English soil.

Everything was valuable like this...
Well needed... and kept at abreast...
If you had a chest and needed to hide it "quickly"...
I do not know about you...
But I would have used a stick and my hands to dig a hole if I had to.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw folks these scenarios are just the "norm" in my opinion and not the exact way everyone buried.

There is a spring here...
years ago a chest was spotted lying on the side of it...
guy took a rope and hooked it...
when almost out... rope broke...
chest fell back into spring and out of sight...
they returned with diver...
he went in... and "supposedly" did not see chest.

Many attempts have been made to retrieve this chest...
Which I am sure someone has...
But... no info on this.

So in this scenario... quickest and safest spot to the "chest hider"... was this spring...
Too bad... he... as well as most...
never made it back to retrieve this stash.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just wanted an answer to my question. In my scenario an item was buried in the dry season and during the wet season its below the water line in wet sand. I just wanted to know if item could possibly sink in very wet sand. All the other stuff is interesting but doesnt apply in my case. Thanks AARC I appreciate it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH...
I would not think it would...
Displacement would have to happen...
BUT... with this said... I suppose anything is possible..
I think anything short of a flood should have no effect.

Sorry about the extra "babble".

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH...
I would not think it would...
Displacement would have to happen...
BUT... with this said... I suppose anything is possible..
I think anything short of a flood should have no effect.

Sorry about the extra "babble".

No its all interesting.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think the only way it could sink in Florida would be if it was near the tides or a river or spring.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GUys... and gals...

I have forgotten a major "factor" here...

Water tables have changed... quite a bit...

Water levels are higher every year.

And... costal changes... loss of "beach" and natural erosion etc...
Are factors as well...

So...
For example...
A chest buried in 1701... may have been "high and dry" at 6 feet down...
Today over 300 years later...
Same chest sits at 4 feet and in water....
OR... same chest is now at 8 feet and in water.

Water table is rising and has been.
So... with that said... the chest on the island I told you about...
MAy have been originally buried at 5-6ish feet...
But over time erosion through tidal action and wind and rain etc... left it at roughly 3 feet.
Who knows...
maybe they had no shovel ... heh...
We will never know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is no "one size fits all" when it come to this stuff. I have two locations where I believe chests/barrels may be buried. I am working on confirming the existence of something being buried at each spot. One is on a beach and the other is way up on dry land near a river. These locations were given to me by someone that I will refer to as a "remote viewer". If you absolutely do not believe in this ability please stop reading my posts or try to control yourself and keep the negativity to a minimum. Constant harassment by the "neggars", a term I made up for negative people, gets really old and I don't need it. Constructive criticism is fine.

The beach site is on what was once a barrier island. It is now heavily populated and there are condos very close by. No digging or excavating could be accomplished without having an audience. I believe there is also some gold out in the water as it may all be from the same shipwreck. The water in the area is only about 20 feet deep even a mile or two offshore. The cargo laden ships were anchored well offshore as they may have drawn well over 20 feet when loaded. They may have even just been passing by. A storm or hurricane came in, lifted them in the wave crest and pounded them onto the bottom as the swells came and went. Their bottom would have eventually busted open. After the storm the ships were easily accessible although totally wrecked.

The survivors would then have taken off any valuables that they could get their hands on. They may have dug a shallow hole and placed an empty chest or barrel in it. As they retrieved the treasure they would place it in the container and keep it covered when not in use. As this was a barrier island they may have eventually made their way off of it with the hopes of coming back for their stash. Maybe they came back or maybe not. Maybe they came back but their "markers" for the chest were now gone. Maybe they drew a big X in the sand and it got washed away (just joking).

This chest may have originally been buried at no more than 2 or 3 feet. As storms or hurricanes came and went the beach would be washed away or added to. As this occurred the chest would continue to sink until it reached the hardpan or limestone bedrock. There it would sit until this day. This scenario seems very plausible to me. The remote viewer has told me the gold/silver sits at about 9 feet. I have brought in one individual with electronics to try to verify this location. I parked well off from this spot and I stayed in my vehicle without giving him the location. Within 15 minutes he was back to my vehicle and said it was a very large reading of gold. He led me to the spot and it was the same exact spot the remote viewer had given me.

I have talked extensively with the local code enforcement and chief of police about this. They are ready willing and able to help me with this. We have talked about splitting it and I will only do this dig if it is all legal and transparent. It is located on city property. It is not a state park, county or state property. They are waiting for my next move. I will be bringing more electronics in to see what each device has to say. You cannot easily dig a 9 foot hole on this beach but it can be done.

Chest number two is well up on high and dry land near a major river. A pirate chest filled with gold was found nearby many years ago. My remote viewer has said it is located about 10 feet down. One of the reasons I showed some of my dug holes on here was to show how quickly and easily a hole could be dug by one guy and if you had two or three or more it would be much easier.

I am sure that the majority of the time personal stashes or small boxes/chests were buried quickly and easily at depths of 1-4 feet. Sometimes however there may have been a reason to bury a larger stash much deeper. They would not have been carrying a large gold filled chest as it would have been way to heavy. They would have dug a deep hole, placed the chest or barrel at the bottom and then filled it up. I am sure they intended to come back and dig it up but bad things happen to bad people. There it sits waiting to be recovered. Too deep to be easily detected or dug up. Just waiting for the right guy/s to come along (me).

Whether anyone reading this believes these scenarios does not really matter. These treasures are either there or they are not. There is only one sure-fire way to find out as far as I know. That is to dig a deep hole in just the right spot. As soon as the contracts are in place I will get more serious on the electronics and then go from there.

Last edited:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no "one size fits all" when it come to this stuff. I have two locations where I believe chests/barrels may be buried. I am working on confirming the existence of something being buried at each spot. One is on a beach and the other is way up on dry land near a river. These locations were given to me by someone that I will refer to as a "remote viewer". If you absolutely do not believe in this ability please stop reading my posts or try to control yourself and keep the negativity to a minimum. Constant harassment by the "neggars", a term I made up for negative people, gets really old and I don't need it. Constructive criticism is fine.

The beach site is on what was once a barrier island. It is now heavily populated and there are condos very close by. No digging or excavating could be accomplished without having an audience. I believe there is also some gold out in the water as it may all be from the same shipwreck. The water in the area is only about 20 feet deep even a mile or two offshore. The cargo laden ships were anchored well offshore as they may have drawn well over 20 feet when loaded. They may have even just been passing by. A storm or hurricane came in, lifted them in the wave crest and pounded them onto the bottom as the swells came and went. Their bottom would have eventually busted open. After the storm the ships were easily accessible although totally wrecked.

The survivors would then have taken off any valuables that they could get their hands on. They may have dug a shallow hole and placed an empty chest or barrel in it. As they retrieved the treasure they would place it in the container and keep it covered when not in use. As this was a barrier island they may have eventually made their way off of it with the hopes of coming back for their stash. Maybe they came back or maybe not. Maybe they came back but their "markers" for the chest were now gone. Maybe they drew a big X in the sand and it got washed away (just joking).

This chest may have originally been buried at no more than 2 or 3 feet. As storms or hurricanes came and went the beach would be washed away or added to. As this occurred the chest would continue to sink until it reached the hardpan or limestone bedrock. There it would sit until this day. This scenario seems very plausible to me. The remote viewer has told me the gold/silver sits at about 9 feet. I have brought in one individual with electronics to try to verify this location. I parked well off from this spot and I stayed in my vehicle without giving him the location. Within 15 minutes he was back to my vehicle and said it was a very large reading of gold. He led me to the spot and it was the same exact spot the remote viewer had given me.

I have talked extensively with the local code enforcement and chief of police about this. They are ready willing and able to help me with this. We have talked about splitting it and I will only do this dig if it is all legal and transparent. It is located on city property. It is not a state park, county or state property. They are waiting for my next move. I will be bringing more electronics in to see what each device has to say. You cannot easily dig a 9 foot hole on this beach but it can be done.

Chest number two is well up on high and dry land near a major river. A pirate chest filled with gold was found nearby many years ago. My remote viewer has said it is located about 10 feet down. One of the reasons I showed some of my dug holes on here was to show how quickly and easily a hole could be dug by one guy and if you had two or three or more it would be much easier.

I am sure that the majority of the time personal stashes or small boxes/chests were buried quickly and easily at depths of 1-4 feet. Sometimes however there may have been a reason to bury a larger stash much deeper. They would not have been carrying a large gold filled chest as it would have been way to heavy. They would have dug a deep hole, placed the chest or barrel at the bottom and then filled it up. I am sure they intended to come back and dig it up but bad things happen to bad people. There it sits waiting to be recovered. Too deep to be easily detected or dug up. Just waiting for the right guy/s to come along (me).

Whether anyone reading this believes these scenarios does not really matter. These treasures are either there or they are not. There is only one sure-fire way to find out as far as I know. That is to dig a deep hole in just the right spot. As soon as the contracts are in place I will get more serious on the electronics and then go from there.

Is there a program available that would show the sea floor in different time tables to where you could measure changes in composition depth?
For example a snapshot of the area in 1920 then in 1930, 1940 etc. so you could get an average decomposition or depth change rate for every decade? That way you could possibly equate the depth of the target at or about the time of burial against the changes that have occurred since and come up with an approximate depth today? Pre-post hurricane information as well I would assume would be a major factor as well.
Just a question, but something that I look at with earthquakes here on the West.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ARRC don't forget, a heavy chest buried 6' deep in wet soil will sink after 250 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread