Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am glad to hear you don't hold any grudges but I am not sure I believe you for obvious reasons.

Proof that I hold no grudge I am trying to get everyone to call a truce and gather support to unlock your thread because that was never my intention.. But if you dont care, I wont bother.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thread was in trouble for a long time BDD. The moderators were continually issuing warnings. I cant remember exactly what happened and I hold no grudges but I believe I just happened to be the last person to post. I feel that its unfair to point the finger at me.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I challenge anyone to walk out in their backyard and dig a 6 foot hole...
Anyone who has dug a big hole by hand knows that there is no way to do this easily even with several men...
it is hours of hard back breaking... hands numbing... blistered hell.
Particularly with tools of yester years...

NOW with this said... I am sure it was done...
But why ?
Why would anyone bury anything at any depth past 10 feet ?
There is no logical reason at all for this.ME ...
I would never dig past a depth of 8... no matter what.

I have dug lots of holes deeper than 6 foot, by myself, no broken back, no numb hands, no blistered hell and I used the same tool as yester years-a shovel. People today are weak, lazy and in a big hurry.

100_3071.JPG 8 foot deep hole, two guys, two hours, nothing to it. When you get past 6 feet you put the dirt in a bucket and pass it up. No sweat.

The bigger the treasure, the deeper you bury it. If it takes a couple guys or more to bury it, it will take a couple guys or more to dig it up. Kind of a insurance on one of them coming back on his own to steal it. No need to be in a big hurry if you dig at night, nobody can see you. People had more common sense back then, today it is not very common. Also if I were in charge back in the old day and I told you to keep digging, you would or you might be one of the guys that stays in the hole and tells no tales, if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The thread was in trouble for a long time BDD. The moderators were continually issuing warnings. I cant remember exactly what happened and I hold no grudges but I believe I just happened to be the last person to post. I feel that its unfair to point the finger at me.

The thread was not in trouble there were just a few people constantly trying to cause trouble. I can remember exactly what happened. Drop it.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The thread was not in trouble there were just a few people constantly trying to cause trouble. I can remember exactly what happened. Drop it.
Ok but I would like to see the thread opened.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no need... in my opinion... to bury anything at a greater depth than 6 feet...
Bodies are buried at this depth... for a reason... same scenario.
No one is gonna "find it" because it is "not more deep"... this ensures nothing more than... more work.

No offense... but common sense is a tool like a shovel.
They may have been determined... but they ... well most... were not stupid.

Remember... the intention when burying something is to UNBURY it...
Not to permanently leave it there.

The more time involved in either "scenario" is more time and likely hood of being spotted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok but I would like to see the thread opened.

It is not your thread we are talking about, it is mine. If I wanted it unlocked I would ask the moderator if they would be willing to. I don't and I haven't.

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ARRC-I will reply to your points one at a time.

There is no need...in my opinion...to bury anything at a greater depth than 6 feet... ----Well your opinion does not really matter as you were not involved in the actual treasure burying back then. The guy in charge of the burying is the only one whose opinion mattered.

Bodies are buried at this depth (6 feet)...for a reason...same scenario.---- Bodies were buried at that depth so animals would not dig them up and eat them, completely different scenario.

They may have been determined....but they...well most...were not stupid.---- What is supposed to be stupid? Burying something deep and making it harder to find and steal?

Remember...the intention when burying something is to UNBURY it....---I guess your point is that it would be a lot of work to dig it back up. So what. It is always easier to re-dig a hole.

Not to permanently leave it there.---Just because it is buried deep does not make it permanent.

The more time involved in either "scenario" is more time and likely hood of being spotted.---Spotted by who? The cops? Other pirates? Satellites in space? If I wanted to bury something I am sure I could dig a big hole without anybody seeing me. When my friend and I were digging the 8 foot hole I posted, some guys pulled up in a couple of trucks. They were no more that 50 feet from us at one time and they never knew we were there. Your argument is weak.
Basically what you are saying is it is just too much work to dig a deep hole.

No offense...but common sense is a tool like a shovel.--- You lost me on this one but it may make sense to you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not your thread we are talking about, it is mine. If I wanted it unlocked I would ask the moderator if they would be willing to. I don't and I haven't.

FYI to all....Once a member hits "Enter" thread becomes TreasureNet's thread, OP can request a thread be locked or unlocked, but it is still TN's thread and our choice to lock or unlock at our discretion.....

OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
FYI to all....Once a member hits "Enter" thread becomes TreasureNet's thread, OP can request a thread be locked or unlocked, but it is still TN's thread and our choice to lock or unlock at our discretion.....

Point taken. I was the "thread starter" or original poster (OP) just as I am the thread starter (OP) on this thread. As you said it is up to you as to whether a thread should be unlocked, not me or another member.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... take it from a guy WHO HAS seen a treasure chest hole :P

Hows that... and it was 3 foot down.

Wanna see MY picture ?

And further more...
I have read the documentation of 6 chests removed...
As well as another at Anclote....
As well as the ones they took off of T.I.... 3 of em...
as well as countless other accounts....
NONE of which were below 6 feet...
SO... while you base your "opinion" on ?
Ill base mine on fact.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALSO... IF YOU READ... try reading eyewitness accounts of chest burials...
REAL ACCOUNTS... not some bologna ...
The depth of chest were always buried at a mans height...

I was just trying to help ya doood...
Dig all the holes ya like. heh
The bigger the better :)

AND...
By the way...
Nothing "sinks" that is buried 50 foot aground... let alone 100.
The only change is sand deposit.
Only time stuff sinks is when sand is fluid.
Ok I am done now ... have fun.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and just sittin back here... I remembered a few more things :)... heh

ONE... bodies were not buried at 6 feet because animals would dig them up... this was considered "proper depth" of THINGS... ALL THINGS.

I would like to see an animal dig up a 3 foot grave... let alone 4-5.... AND especially not 6 being the "magic #".

The term "shallow grave" comes from ? - heh.

6ish feet was considered "in the earth".
And a standard depth.

I am merely trying to "speed up" your possible recovery by suggesting that IF you are in fact looking for chests buried by "pirates" ot the likes...
They were the worst of all diggers... they were lazy anyway... that's why they stole for a living.
Most chests in my opinion were not the subject of a mining process...
They were the subject of disguise.
3-6 foot range is where you should be...
IF you dig to 5... and use decent pulse detector... it will read if there is metal below that point... and in walls of hole...
HENCE... no need to dig further.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The romance of some servant counterparts digging some massive "pit"... is at best ... ludicrous.

These are dreams...
Not reality...
Further more...
Stolen items were "offloaded and buried" almost immediately...

Remember it is stolen... they have stolen it... it is property that does not belong to them...

It is evidence of a crime... if it contains identifiable items and they are caught with them...
it is automatic guilt and will be executed for possession of ANY stolen items on seas... under piracy act.

Once stolen... they took specie and a few unidentifiable trinkets... and the rest was buried until later...
where they could deface or melt down ...
many times...
They had places that they could "fence" the items... but that could take time... until then... they buried it.

No one kept it close...
It would have been like OJ simson having the other "glove" in his car glovebox...

They were not stupid...
Greedy yes... the "easy" route... yes...
But most... not stupid...

And they sure as heck were not gonna make an all day poject digging a hole... ESPECIALLY stolen loot...
This was not their "lifes hard work and savings"
N
OR would they roam around with these things...
looking for the "perfect spot"... heh ... in order to dig this "perfect hole"...
and take that chance of being caught red handed with stolen property.

People do not get this...
They think that pirates roamed around with hold packed with gold...
then at leisure would "dock" somewhere and unload this massive hoard and then proceed to dig a temple to house it...
In some "tomb" if you will.

Only time when things were deep and massive was when "everyone was in on it"...
Meaning...
Like King Tuts Tomb...
heh
This "elaborate" digging just did not exist...

But... the treasures do :)

PS> nothing in Florida is that deep... not even the great Carlos... Cheif of the Calusas ... buried his "stash" that deep...
And he had a whole tribe helping him hide it.
PSS> ACTUAL eyewitness account of Calusa treasure burial is well documented.
PSSS> The ACTUAL accounts ALSO describes this treasure of IMMENSE proportion... to be ... and I quote..."at an average mans height in depth".

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well golly, thanks for straightening me out on all this. I didn't know there were rules about how to dig a hole and bury the loot. I am assuming there was probably a pirates handbook that listed the proper way to do everything. Maybe I have watched the Goonies and Pirates of the Caribbean too many times. One-eyed Willie sure went to a lot of trouble that he did not need to.

So I guess what your saying is that because all the chests that have been found were at a shallow depth, then they all must be. Maybe they have never found any buried deep because they never dug deep.

The way I see it is that the pirates were criminals so they did not care about the rules. Just because everybody else dug a shallow hole maybe one of those renegades decided to break the rules and go deep.

The truth is that some places are easier to dig than others. I dug a hole under a rock in New Jersey looking for some buried diamonds. It was the hardest digging I have ever done. Even so in on evening I dug underneath a large boulder until I was able to stand underneath it.

Image15.jpg New Jersey

I dug near the bank of the Cape Fear river years ago by myself and it took me about an hour to dig an 8 foot deep hole. Image42.jpg

I dug near a creek in Georgia by myself and dug an 8 foot deep hole in about two hours even though I hit water at 5 feet. Image43.jpg

I dug a 16 foot deep hole by hand in Englewood after hitting water at 1 foot. Document6.jpg Document2.jpg Document7.jpg Document5.jpg

Call me crazy. Call me stupid. I am not afraid to dig anyplace or to any depth. One thing I know is that to find buried treasure you have to dig a hole in the right spot and to the right depth. Have I found a treasure chest? Not yet. Will I? Only one way to find out, just keep digging. If any of you experts know exactly where one is, give me a call. I am not afraid to dig an empty hole.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can say this...
I commend you for doing it...
Which is more than I can say for many people I have known in this biz.
Look like a lot of work...
Ever thought of GPR ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pic of actual chest hole... its hard to see the hole for it has overgrown...
It is a well known spot...
This chest was removed from a park property by 4 male individuals in a bow rider style boat..
They were seen by two park rangers in late 1989 placing "A large rusty chest like box" on bow of the boat with a struggle.
The chest was estimated to be at a rough depth of three feet from surface soil by guesses of size of chest...
which was described as a "like a larger sized cooler".

P.S.> This is not something I saw in some book or on the internet...

I knew one of the park rangers personally and have heard his account on many occasions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well I can say this...
I commend you for doing it...
Which is more than I can say for many people I have known in this biz.
Look like a lot of work...
Ever thought of GPR ?
I don't just go around randomly digging holes. I have a GPR guy. I plan on bringing him in on my next site as soon as I have a contract, providing I can get one.

100_3445.JPG Actual GPR screen shot from one of my sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread