Other
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to use that probe at all. Many holes that I dig have multiple targets in the hole and there is only one that I am interested in. It would send me in a wild good chase to find the others.

And he says that the sunray probe only detects to an inch. Wow is he off there. I can get roughly 2-3", which is all I need.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bscofield6 said:
I wouldn't want to use that probe at all. Many holes that I dig have multiple targets in the hole and there is only one that I am interested in. It would send me in a wild good chase to find the others.

And he says that the sunray probe only detects to an inch. Wow is he off there. I can get roughly 2-3", which is all I need.

yeah, i mean in some cases it would be cool, but in others it would suck. it would be cool if there was a switch where you could toggel between 1" and 5".

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
YIKES! A clear winner? I'm sure the Pistol Probe is very good, they make good stuff. The air test wasn't very scientific, no measuring devices were used. They did not even demo the Sun Ray. What a giant messy crater he dug! I hope that's private property he's on. I get plenty of depth (I'd guess about 3" on typical coin size targets) with my SunRay probe, especially in pinpoint mode. The Explorer SE pinpoints VERY well, by the way no need to dig a giant plug. I like that the Sun Ray is onboard too, so I do not have to worry about losing it, or carrying it separately. I like too that the Sun Ray uses my detector electronics... it's like a 1" coil. And I don't know about you, but I cringed when they rubbed the dirt off the old silver too... full of scratches now.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
As someone else mentioned, YIKES. First off, who is this guy?? And why should I be taking advice from a biased individual who digs cavernous holes that could suck in a schoolbus?? I have never seen anyone dig a "plug" (small island, really) that big. Big being an understatement. He's making a great detector look bad. Then he claims his Sunray only gets about one inch. However, he doesn't involve it in his very non-scientific "test". Many people I know, including myself, have Sunray probes, and they all get 2-3 times that much depth, maybe more depending on the target. Now, that may not be as much as his trigger-gun-pinpointer, but just the fact that his little demonstration is flawed removes any "credential" he may have had.

To top it off, he digs an extremely unlikely target from his earthen pothole. A large 18th century silver? Maybe. If I buy the gun probe, does that mean I'll find one of those, too? I could be totally wrong, but I'm suspicious. Sorry, T-net, I know that's against the rules, but...yeah.

Joe

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
The guy in the video called his coin a 2 Reale. It was the size of a half dollar, which would have made it a 4 Reale. :icon_scratch:

I prefer tone ID on my Sunray probe. I dig a lot of plugs with multiple conductors in them. I also don't want to replace batteries or have to hold/attach a probe to my body. It's also not silent. I prefer silent pinpointing through my headphones to not distract anybody else.

I'll take the Sunray, even though the Pistol is deeper. Deeper doesn't always mean better.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Captn_SE said:
The guy in the video called his coin a 2 Reale. It was the size of a half dollar, which would have made it a 4 Reale. :icon_scratch:

I prefer tone ID on my Sunray probe. I dig a lot of plugs with multiple conductors in them. I also don't want to replace batteries or have to hold/attach a probe to my body. It's also not silent. I prefer silent pinpointing through my headphones to not distract anybody else.

I'll take the Sunray, even though the Pistol is deeper. Deeper doesn't always mean better.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
I have to agree the sunray is nice but i can only use it with one detector and drag more cable around i hate that part of it.......................................==Jim_K==

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
The coin was found with the metal detector, not the pistol probe, any probe would of eventually of located the coin.......Without any interference from any surrounding metal if it was present, the pistol probe would of been useless if any metal was a couple of inches of the sides....No thanks.

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
You bring up a point that I don't understand. Is the pistol probe "directional" ? I was under the impression that if you are "pointing" it in the direction of the target, it will respond but if you are not, it won't.

If it is not directional, then your point is well taken. If it is ANYWHERE in the hole, it will not help you localize it to the bottom or in the sides of the hole. It will just sound off that it's somewhere within a 6 inch radius sphere.

I've got one ordered should be here end of month. I will report on my expereinces with it.

Optic

Attachments

• AssGlasses.jpg
    AssGlasses.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Opticman said:
You bring up a point that I don't understand. Is the pistol probe "directional" ? I was under the impression that if you are "pointing" it in the direction of the target, it will respond but if you are not, it won't.

If it is not directional, then your point is well taken. If it is ANYWHERE in the hole, it will not help you localize it to the bottom or in the sides of the hole. It will just sound off that it's somewhere within a 6 inch radius sphere.

I've got one ordered should be here end of month. I will report on my expereinces with it.

Optic
I got a boxer also but he has only one head............I would have to say with the extra depth of the pistol probe would be a big help and it does sound off in the direction of the target most all your probes sound off on the side and the point .Every one always wants to make things sound more complicated than they are sort of like the Goverment........................................==Jim_K==

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
The PistolPROBE is not directional; it is sensitive approximately half way up the sides of the shaft and that can cause problems locating a target still in the hole.

Case in point: I dug what turned out to be a dime about 3" down. The soil was sandy and loose and the dime probably fell out of the bottom of the plug and was covered when I pried up the plug. When I looked for it with the PistolPROBE, I got a tone no matter where I pointed the probe. I turned down the threshold and the sensitivity all the way and held the tip only close enough to the hole to get a signal, but I still got a tone everywhere I pointed the probe. I finally probed the hole with a Sherlock and found the dime easily.

On the other hand, with the PistolPROBE, I can pinpoint precisely enough that I'm digging three-sided plugs that are only the width of my Lesche digging trowel. That's a real plus on the manicured areas I hunt.

HH
Relic

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Relic said:
The PistolPROBE is not directional; it is sensitive approximately half way up the sides of the shaft and that can cause problems locating a target still in the hole.

Case in point: I dug what turned out to be a dime about 3" down. The soil was sandy and loose and the dime probably fell out of the bottom of the plug and was covered when I pried up the plug. When I looked for it with the PistolPROBE, I got a tone no matter where I pointed the probe. I turned down the threshold and the sensitivity all the way and held the tip only close enough to the hole to get a signal, but I still got a tone everywhere I pointed the probe. I finally probed the hole with a Sherlock and found the dime easily.

On the other hand, with the PistolPROBE, I can pinpoint precisely enough that I'm digging three-sided plugs that are only the width of my Lesche digging trowel. That's a real plus on the manicured areas I hunt.

HH
Relic
Yes if you get a signal with your detector you can pinpoint with the pistol probe before you dig and know where your target is and only have to dig a 3 inch by 3 inch by 3 inch plug and know that the target will be in the plug...............................................==Jim_K==

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
The Sunray Probe gets well over 1"........more like 3"..............and that is as much as you need for what PP'ers were intended to do in my opinion. A goose chase as someone mentioned is what you'll get into with a PP'er that looks that deep AND.....is all metal. At least with the Sunray Probe, you know what you are chasing.

I'll give it to him, even if his coin label is wrong..........he got a real oldie on film. I don't think I've ever seen anyone dig anything that old and get it on video.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ricardo_NY1 said:
The Sunray Probe gets well over 1"........more like 3"..............and that is as much as you need for what PP'ers were intended to do in my opinion. A goose chase as someone mentioned is what you'll get into with a PP'er that looks that deep AND.....is all metal. At least with the Sunray Probe, you know what you are chasing.

I'll give it to him, even if his coin label is wrong..........he got a real oldie on film. I don't think I've ever seen anyone dig anything that old and get it on video.
I know the Sunray is good for you not for me..................I don't like dragging the extra cable around

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread