Pistol probe copy!

Ukuleledude

Jan 20, 2013
Newcastle
Detector(s) used
Gpx5000, Sovereign GT, Infinium ls, Garrett Atx, At Pro, Gold Bug-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there! i’ve been detecting for a while now, but am a newbie here!

Just curious if anyone has come across the probe that looks very much like a pistol probe!
http://mcd.en.alibaba.com/product/593786196-212242050/MCD_2001_Handheld_Metal_Detector.html
Saw them on ebay for about $70. Depth claims(although probably exagerated) seem to indicate it is a pi as well.

chakra22

Oct 26, 2012
Columbus Michigan
Detector(s) used
Newbie --Researching for one now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks the same, I ve seen it on there too

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

Ukuleledude

Jan 20, 2013
Newcastle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try “handheld type security detector”

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a PI probe. Depth is exactly the same as my pistol probe. The difference I noticed was cover over the controls felt a bit flimsier (not enough to be certain though) and it was a mother to get the batteries out. I've got a DetectorPro probe and it has "made in china" on it so I am fairly certain they the same circuits. I can't say about the quality of the components.

I disassembled the copy to try and see how much depth it will get with a full size coil.

OP
OP
U

Ukuleledude

Jan 20, 2013
Newcastle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a PI probe. Depth is exactly the same as my pistol probe. The difference I noticed was cover over the controls felt a bit flimsier (not enough to be certain though) and it was a mother to get the batteries out. I've got a DetectorPro probe and it has "made in china" on it so I am fairly certain they the same circuits. I can't say about the quality of the components.

I disassembled the copy to try and see how much depth it will get with a full size coil.

How’d it go with a big coil?(same thought crossed my mind). Dont suppose you mesured the probe coil inductance?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I just plan on using an old coil from a White's PI 1000. I suspect the circuitry is the same as what they use in the Headhunter.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post some pics of the guts? I just ordered a pistol probe, and I fully anticipate it breaking. And then me being me (I have a dremel tool and I'm not afraid to use it) I fully expect to void the warranty. I'm thinking a sealed control box and waterproof housing. Some pics of the guts of this thing will help immensely. I can then plan the body and any additions I may need. I was thinking about using a silicone "personal massager" for the body and it would vibrate too....but I'm not sure how well that would go over in a public park with the moms..:protest::protest::protest: But it would be waterproof(ish), the right size for batteries, drop resistant, hard to misplace, and unlikely to be picked up if I forgot it and left ....

boucaneer

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
London/India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How's this project coming along?
Any thoughts on Pistol Probe copy modifications and coil upgrades would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread