Where should I start?

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't spend to much money just starting out. You may not like the hobby Fisher F5 Garrett Ace 350 just so many to choose from

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the best low cost investments you will make (in my opinion) is a pin pointer. This will save a lot of time/stress and digging.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Think about what kind of detecting are you going to do. Relic, beach or combination of both. Then look at what kind of features you like to have. 0-900 will definitely get you started with a good detector. I like focusing on using ears only so I can keep my eyes on my surroundings at the beach. My daughter is really trying to convince me to branch out from a pulse induction PI detector to something like the Garrett AT pro for relic, meteorite hunting. Anyway, welcome to the hobby and have a great time! Cause it is an adventure every time I go detecting. Meeting people. Helping people find stuff ect

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Definitely get a pin pointer. They save a lot of time