signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know you hold a piece of gold up to a metal detector and it sounds off, you say it works. You go out and search for gold nuggets and come back empty-handed. You still say the metal detector works. But if it's an LRL, you say it failed.

I suspect there are several LRL's that have never found anything and still cost big bucks. If it's a swing rod there is an easy excuse that the person didn't learn how to use it. Most cases probably true, but in the end if a device is too difficult to learn, not much use.

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
You know you hold a piece of gold up to a metal detector and it sounds off, you say it works. You go out and search for gold nuggets and come back empty-handed. You still say the metal detector works. But if it's an LRL, you say it failed.

In the conventional metal detecting world, no one has ever claimed that you would find something that the coil didn't pass over. The LRL crowd advertised something different. They should not be resentful for being judged by their own standards.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector seems to work when you wave a target in front of the coil. An LRL seems to work when you walk around a known target. The difference is, when you apply a randomized-blind test protocol to both, the detector continues to work, the LRL does not.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More WECI (Wile E. Coyote Ideas) running through my head. This one might work. I mean I hope it improves things or find out if it doesn't. Gotta order more parts. I saw a MacGyver show once he built an ultralight airplane two passenger in like an hour or something. LOL I'm a lot closer to W.E.C.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MacGyver had a great advantage: he knew if he followed Bernoulli's Principle that flight was not only possible, but physics guaranteed it. Well, he had seen the script ahead of time, too.

Long Range Locators have no science that guarantees they can work at all - so you have to discover that at the same time.

Good news is that if you ever do get it to work they'll likely name the discovery after you: "The Signal Line Effect" or "Signal Line Waves".

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never get there if I don't keep trying. I feel like I made some headway lately. Science? Well, they can't argue if it works. Sure ain't breaking no physics laws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said i would love to get the Contraption idiot-proof but figured that is beyond my abilities. But lately I have some WECI kinda like those cars that park by themselves automatically. Maybe some chance to move towards the I-P dream goal. Yes sir, the ACME Automatic Gold Finder. Just turn it on and stand back. Kinda like those worm getters--the gold just crawls out of the ground!

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trying to convince myself I had the controls set wrong last Fall. Kinda like running a metal detector at too high a sensitivity level...maybe, I don't remember.

Got my stitches out today. Always a relief. Second surgery in three months. Gets old.

The snow is slowly starting to melt. At this rate it should all be gone by late May. LOL

19 days, 18 hours 15 minutes til Spring.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe another 10 inches of snow on the way. I actually got out in the back yard today. I used the snow blower to carve out an area. Poor engine was way over-worked. It might not seem like i am doing much on the project, but I'm constantly "living" it day and night. That's why i got so burned out on it--just couldn't let it go.

One thing I've learned, going it alone is lonely. There is so much stuff to know, just overwhelming for one person. As good as I am ever going to get this thing is not even the tip of the iceberg. Just getting it to work somewhat is a minor miracle. Add in a limited, meager budget and the odds are stacked against me. But I got my blinders on. Like the song, "I'm just an old chunk of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday." Maybe that's what i should call it, "an old chunk of coal." A little more accurate than "diamond in the rough".

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the new parts but haven't got them working yet. Once I get these working I think I'll take a sabbatical on the development work...if I can. LOL

Got hit with more snow, I don't know looks like about eight more inches. Springtime usually means big moisture so we ain't out of the woods yet. Farmer's Almanac says snow 'til second week of April. We are in the running for a record snowfall year. It's supposed to warm up to the low 40's F later this week. That should make for a nice mess.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the basic version working yesterday and from here it gets more complicated--programming, etc. I have inexpensive alternatives from here or I will need to study up before I can get to the elegant solution. I prefer the "cheap overkill" because it will be easier, but the elegant version has less parts, less cost (not much difference), prettier. Oh yeah, still got other stuff needs doing, like enclosure. Some day I hope to look back on all this like it was all a bad dream.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to get a "prototype" enclosure put together. Prototype probably in't the right word, more like slap it together and use it for a while to see what it needs. But at least I am moving in that direction. Still have more stuff I want to do but at a later date. So hope to get this done today. Not even the enclosure will be complete--still got wires hanging out until I rebuild the coil, power supply, etc. But trying to get it all together one step at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a bunch of hours today, still not done. Getting to the point where I don't even like posting about it any more.

Winston Churchill said "Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

E

enochsea7

Spent a bunch of hours today, still not done. Getting to the point where I don't even like posting about it any more.

Winston Churchill said "Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

I hadn't heard that quote before. That's a great one... The only thing in this world that I've been able to fail at continually and not lose my enthusiasm is treasure hunting. Let's hope ole Churchill was right :)

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect he was talking about war, but building LRL's is not much different. LOL

Got this last version wired together and something is not quite right with the amplifier. So need to get out my tire iron and go thump some tires. But I'll get it, had the hay-wired version working (they are all hay-wired versions LOL) before I "fixed" things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, wired it wrong and fried one of the components. Thought i had a spare but it is not the right number. So parts order and wait. expletive --deleted--.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I thought I was about as low as I could go, but not so sure now. I mean I can't get the equipment working and i tried everything I know. Obviously doing something wrong or some other parts are damaged. If I have to go buy all new parts and start over, it's going to be a while.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

I know I can get it back, just not on my time schedule.

But there's just so many Summers
And just so many Springs.

I feel the urgency but can't do nothing about it. My hands are shaking right now when I think about it.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least I think I know the problem. I want to say "fake parts", but I think they are ALL fake. So, "The wrong fake parts" is a more accurate description. LOL

Anyway, big sigh of relief here. At least I hope so. LOL

Got to wait again. Maybe that is good.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day.
Be careful out there, drunks and cops, don't add anything to that equation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say my patience level is low? Yeah, got that one right. Kinda like what they used to call Chinese water torture--one drop at a time until you go crazy. Suppose that is politically incorrect these days. Sorry, don't mean to offend.

So I still plan to get this SOB Contraption going. (yeah, changed the name LOL)

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The right fake parts ordered. LOL Still don't know if this latest configuration is going to work okay. Might not seem like it, but I am getting the wrinkles ironed out a little at a time. Now if this works I will have an entire season. I gotta quit saying "if".

Snow is melting. 2 days 3 hours 17 minutes til Spring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread