signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the parts but haven't done the repair work yet. So I need to find out if this dog can hunt. Like that song "The Gambler", "If you don't mind me sayin', I can see you're out of Aces." That guy was singing about me. I ain't even got gas money. My Horoscope lied!!! LOL

My low spirits right now, I'm about half afraid to see if I can get it running. I really got to get over this depression thing. "Don't let it get you down,.It's only castles burning. Find someone who's turning and you will come around." You know i can trace much of this back to the political climate in this country. Hateful people in my life I got to get them out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"It seems like every time I stop and turn around, something else just hit the ground."

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have done something right in a past life. LOL Got it running, sort of. Something still not right--on the blink--, so probably did some collateral damage somewhere. Need to do some digging to find where the problem is. With some luck it is an easily replaceable, cheap part. Figured out a way to narrow the problem down, maybe. All this because I was in a hurry and didn't check for sure which wires. About sent me to the loony bin.---expletives deleted---.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say for sure it is totally repaired, but all I did was turn up the power level on the receiver and it quit blinking. I had turned the power down as far as i could and i think it probably is a scratchy control. Cheap parts for the prototype. Blinking is not the right term. The receiver volume was normal then would be cut in half before returning to full power. So maybe I got it.

I like the quote somebody from Mark Twain. Something like: It's not the things you don't know, it's the ones you think you know for certain that just ain't so.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong!!! LOL Wasn't the receiver, but I did find the cause and my quick fix has stopped the blinking. It's all full power now.

My memory not too good these days. Hadn't touched the transmitter for a week and I forgot which element I had it programmed for. So I put out a silver and gold test target (about a foot apart to make it easy) to see which one it hit on (from across the room). Of course I eventually will put a control to set which element to search for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose people are tired of reading about all the problems I've had with this birthing process. Sorry for all my ramblings. All this and i haven't found one piece of gold yet with this electronic version. But like the Churchill quote, I ain't giving up now. If i might add my flare to his quote I would add "The road to success--". I might also add, it's a long, hard road to follow. Think I've gone delirious, can't believe I started this 2 1/2 years ago. At the time I said I was going to have something easily in one week. LOL See what I mean about delirious? Delusional for sure. Yeah, a shrink would have a field day with all my rantings and my Jack and the Beanstalk analogy.

I saw some post asking if you would continue metal detecting if you won the lotto. So, would I continue work on this project? There's that damned "if" word again. Right now I would say "Yes, I'm committed." Double meaning there, for sure. LOL

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still wrong!!! This is getting old, but at least I think it was the amp still acting up. Even the power control did not work. Replaced amp with an older one and all seems good now except no longer have the nice compact package. I tried it in the yard with silver and eventually just used one silver dime for the test target from fifty feet it was hitting it on the lowest power level. I might have to lower the power some more.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a couple more issues since yesterday. I think i need one of those epidurals like is used during birth, because this thing is a big pain in the rear. LOL I try to laugh it off but it has been tearing me apart. Well, can't blame the locator, it's my poor handling of the process. It feels like I'm inept is just about everything. Like that song

"Well, every night for a couple of years
They all think of turning back...

Ah, but then one night is some empty room
Where no curtains ever hung
Like a miracle some golden words
Roll off of someone's tongue
After years of being nothing
They're all looking right at you
And then for a while
You'll go in style on 16th avenue...

From the corners of the country
From the cities and the farms
With years and years of livin'
Tucked up underneath their arm
They walked away from everything
Just to see a dream come true
So God bless the boys who make the noise on 16th avenue"

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More shrink ammo here. Well, SOMEBODY thanks me even if I have to be the one who does it. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had never started this thread. My stupidity is laid bare for all to see. Never knew I'm a masochist but kinda hard to deny that one. Too late to turn back now. I suspect this is common among all inventors, only most are afraid to show it (or maybe a lot smarter). Actually I guess I must have been trying to get some help financially and otherwise. No, my mental might not be good, but it ain't as bad as i portray it. Now the locator is a different story. LOL There i go again. Hope some day i can look back on all this and wish I was still here---NOT!!!! That saying about it's all in the search, don't believe it.

Well, enough about me. It's all about three words--locator, locator, locator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say for sure if I got it fixed. Like that insurance TV commercial, the teenagers don't know what a lug wrench is--"Uh, maybe." that's my new answer. At least it appears to be working without the fluctuating power level. So what i don't know is if the part I replaced was the cause or just a casualty from some other damage. Of course it's 9 F degrees and snowing for the next week at least. It was 60 yesterday, first time this year I think. Yeah, like fishing, the one that got away is more frustrating than not getting a single bite. You'd think I'd be happy but so beat up from this I just need to recuperate. So maybe the snow and cold is a blessing. So the test is coming. Will the FSC (field strength compensator) help? ....Uh, maybe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Software glitch repaired AFTER I ordered new parts. Really do feel like Wile E. Coyote. :BangHead:

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are talking about Sgt. Shultz on Hogan's Heros, "I know nothing!"

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have definitely found the problem and I can make it act up or not. So back to the electronics books and going to add more hardware which requires more power. Never liked slow cars and same for weak locators. LOL Like Arnold says "We want to pump you up!"

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it all hay-wired back together minus the extra power. Just don't want to think about any more work on it right now, but still needs some. I'd say I came too close to a nervous breakdown over all this. Not even sure I have recovered, but do feel I am on the mend. Twenty pounds of nuggets and some jewelry and I'm sure I will feel fine. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Winter has been a real bear. We had bad weather a month each side. Still some snow here from can't even remember but think it was November. Really makes me want to move to one of those warm, buggy climates---NOT! Like someone told me, "Sometimes you just gotta play the hand that has been dealt to you. Whining gets you deeper into the hole." So yeah, guess I have not played this hand well. I mean the whining part.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if it all sounds like gloom and doom, it is!!! LOL No gold yet. That hurts, cuts right to the heart. The learning curve has been steep, beyond vertical. Right now my feelings are that I have not been in the right place to find gold, and also probably not doing things quite right, even had to adjust things to get it right. Equipment? Not blaming that right now although I know it's not perfect by any means. The one thing I am not short of right now is ideas. That could be my biggest problem, can't leave it alone. Not going to leave it alone. It's like a love/hate relationship. I want to continue working on it, but i sure wish I could find some gold first. maybe that's a blessing in disguise--if I find something, probably quit working on/developing it. Watch out Road Runner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, know when to run..."

Maybe I'll change my mind, but for now i am shelving the FSC (field strength compensator). Been a total PITA and don't feel like talking about it. Not a "total fold" just yet, but on the shelf until I feel like I need more punishment and stress. LOL

The good news is i do have another Wile E. Coyote idea I plan to work on. I don't know what the politically correct term for "idiot proof" is, but never plan to get THAT far, just part way. Then maybe i can find some gold!!!! LOL

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some ideas how to "fix" the FSC, too. Just need time, effort, and money. Unfortunately, not in that order. Oh yeah, i left out the mental attitude part I am obviously lacking right now. I've come to the conclusion that posting about it just causes me depression. So, best just get on with it and quit talking.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working and maybe think I have made some progress on the idiot proof part. I was looking up a nicer term to use but struck out. Anyway i did find some info on Napoleon. They said he had an idiot he would show his battle plans to. If the idiot could not understand then he figured the generals could not understand, either.

A few "generals" around here cannot figure it out just yet, so I'm working on that one and feel like progress is about to be made. I mean it is in the process.

So getting back to terminology, "human proof" is probably a better term and much more accurate. Actually, REDUCE the human factor. "Skeptic proof"? There is no such thing. LOL

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions