Plastic Ground Netting

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a park today and the ground is covered with thick netting about 1/2" under the surface. All parks in the city are open to metal detecting but I have reserves about hunting this park because of it. The entire park is covered with it. Has anyone else seen this stuff? Should i avoid it? Here is a link to a site that has information about it. This site has alot of history before it was turned into a park starting in the late 1800's. My MD shows lots of targets but every plug will require me to cut this mesh. I plan to try to get some of the targets with a screwdriver in the week to come. I do see signs that someone has tried to detect the area.
Ground reinforcement plastic mesh used for protecting ground

Attachments

• ground-reinforcement-plastic-mesh-1.jpg
    ground-reinforcement-plastic-mesh-1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 208
  • ground-reinforcement-plastic-mesh-2.jpg
    ground-reinforcement-plastic-mesh-2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that park is off my list...even with a screwdriver, you would have a very hard time getting a target...I would hunt it and use a screwdriver only if I were looking for fresh drops that were very shallow.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with lookindown.
Difficult diggin' aside, park employees have taken the time to "install" the plastic mesh and will frown �� upon its destruction. We definitely don't want to upset any park employee.
GL
Peace ✌

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give it time. It may just be temporary to prevent erosion until the grass takes. If not - sooner or later someone will snag it with a mower or other equipment and expose some areas.

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
ATPro, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Propointer, 11" DD Coil, 5" DD Coil, 8" Concentric Coil, BH Tracker 4, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not temporary its under and in the grass root system. It was placed there because the park is used for big outdoor events. The mesh is suppose to keep vehicle tires from making mud holes in the lawn when it is wet. Also the grass is used for overflow parking when events are held in the park.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree with lookindown.
Difficult diggin' aside, park employees have taken the time to "install" the plastic mesh and will frown �� upon its destruction. We definitely don't want to upset any park employee.
GL
Peace ✌
Yeah, when someone sees you there detecting they are going to think you are damaging the mesh, even if your not...going to be a tough place to hunt without being hassled.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think that's made/done to prevent gopher activity. If it's not visible from the top, then ......... who else besides an md'r (or the persons who installed it XX years ago), even know it's there? To the average passer-by, it's going to look like a ho-hum turf hunter. But if it's visible from the surface, (as your pix seems to imply), then yes, someone could gripe.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not temporary its under and in the grass root system. It was placed there because the park is used for big outdoor events. The mesh is suppose to keep vehicle tires from making mud holes in the lawn when it is wet. Also the grass is used for overflow parking when events are held in the park.

I can see how some type of heavy duty mesh might keep vehicle tires from getting stuck for a few years till it settled into the ground and lost its function. No but the mesh I have seen is thin and not heavy in the least bit. Actually I think I worked with it before and was able to tear it with my hands let alone stand up to years of traffic. I cant see the mesh I was thinking of used for anything more then helping the grass grow.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can see how some type of heavy duty mesh might keep vehicle tires from getting stuck for a few years till it settled into the ground and lost its function. No but the mesh I have seen is thin and not heavy in the least bit. Actually I think I worked with it before and was able to tear it with my hands let alone stand up to years of traffic. I cant see the mesh I was thinking of used for anything more then helping the grass grow.

That's a different type of mesh. Thread-like netting. That has no other purpose than to keep the grass firm while-in-rolls waiting to be rolled out. I cut through that stuff all the time, and it does no harm. It was only meant as temporary for roll-out purposes.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under that mystery mesh lies the lost Aztec treasure, the lost Templar's treasure, a perfectly preserved cache containing several rolls of mint condition uncirculated, 1794 Flowing Hair Dollars, 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, 1787 Brasher EB on Breast Doubloons, 1804 Class I Silver Dollars, 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, 1907 Ultra High Relief $20 Gold Double Eagles, 1787 Brasher EB on Wing Doubloons, 1804 Class III Silver Dollars, 1907 Rolled Edge Eagles. Map to the Lost Dutchman mine, a Roman chariot made of solid gold, and a map to Atlantis and Jimmy Hoffa's locations.

I know ALL that stuff is buried in EVERY location I'm NOT allowed to hunt. I swear I saw the tip of that chariot sticking out of the ground just behind that mean old lady that keeps telling me no!!! :laughing7:

Ground reinforcement plastic mesh used for protecting ground Plastic mesh for ground stabilization helps prevent impassable deep mudded areas made by vehicles on soil/grass tracks and farm gateways... Small aperture ground stabilization mesh is also ideal as a golf driving range anti plugging mesh.

I would say it's off limits, you may even faces fines and restitution if you start cutting through the mesh. But if you do... I will buy that map to the Dutchman off ya!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The planted trees around here have a wire mesh around the root ball, still there years later.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Run barefoot through the park and catch your toe in it. Big dramatic fall and tumble. With a GoPro recording it would be even better.

Then get a sleezeball lawyer and sue the City.

Outcome 1 - you settle out of court for $200,000

Outcome 2 - they remove all the netting.

Win/Win.

OP
OP
Charlesp54

Charlesp54

Oct 31, 2012
Hernando Ms / Memphis Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think i will just try to forget about that park for now.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the good thing about seeing this mesh is...
You kknow no one else has or is detecting it since installation.
And all those little doo dads are falling in the grass...through the mesh... into the ground.
Like goodie net/blanket... heh
All meshed in nice and snug...
DIG ONE TARGET...
Sharpen edges of scoop or digger before ya go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread