GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best finds that I have and it started off as just another day at the creek. Yesterday, I went with my wife and daughter along with my sister and her husband to cool off from this 100+ degree heat we are having here in Southwest Georgia. Shortly after we got in the water, which was less than knee deep, my sister pointed out two flint tools she spotted laying on the creek bed. These finds told me that there was likely points in the area so I started looking as well. I began running my fingers through the sand and finding pottery shards. After I worked that area with little luck, I decided to move down stream and try another spot. I had to pull some limbs out of the way to get a new area cleaned. Thats when this pipe came up. I did not find any points but thats o.k. with this taking thier place! This will likely be the center piece in my collection for quite some time. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!! I've also posted this find on "Todays Finds as well.

Attachments

• Clay pipe.jpg
    Clay pipe.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 618
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 004.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    Indian Pipe - Lee C. 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Upvote 2
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister who was with me when I found the pipe was recently up north and had some time to visit a museum in Chicago and saw a display that contained a pipe very similar to the one that I found last July. I'm unsure where this was found but plan to look into it.The picture isn't that great because it was taken with her phone. Any thoughts?​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that does look like the bird on yours. It would be interesting to find out more info on that one to compare to yours. Are you going to call the museum to find out on theirs?

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that does look like the bird on yours. It would be interesting to find out more info on that one to compare to yours. Are you going to call the museum to find out on theirs?

Yes I do! There must be a story to this. (A story or belief from a long time ago)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems the museum might be a clue itself... what type of museum was it? Were the artifacts local to the area? Even the piece behind it could be a big clue.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems the museum might be a clue itself... what type of museum was it? Were the artifacts local to the area? Even the piece behind it could be a big clue.

"Pipe on display at Chicago Field MUSEUM of Natural history." is what she sent. I plan to look into their site. I think that this display may have been from a lot of areas.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad trend that is....
Here are a couple photos of the original find. Its one bad adze piece.

ForumRunner_20130322_103405.jpg

ForumRunner_20130322_103425.jpg

ForumRunner_20130322_103443.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That giant bird bowl makes me think of "The Thinker" :laughing7:
A friend has a Lorikeet bird, will do like that, too! :laughing7:

th
763485-platform-pipe-southwest-georgia-forumrunner_20130322_103425.jpg
:laughing7:

I grew up all over s.w. Georgia and know many creeks, blueholes, and water sources, some that were utilized by native americans. From what I understand, they were crawling all over the place there, years ago! :tongue3:
I also know of where diamonds were found in a creek bed off hwy 19.

Cool find friend! Pm me, ifn you anywhere around Lee or Mitchell county area, I may can put you on some spots. 8-)

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just amazed-- yet again--by this piece- and it's been on my mind. Over a month ago now, there was a show on the History Channel... I know how y'all feel about these sorts of shows, but I'm just throwing my 2 cents in. The show's called Unearthing America, and the topic was the Mayan connection to the (now) United States. They conducted their investigations in Georgia. Said there was no reason why a great civilization would not travel north. Apparently there's some evidense of this possibility? Thoughts? (no, I'm not swallowing this theory hook, line and sinker, but I DID think of this piece when I saw the show, and just wondering what you folks think about that) Yak

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely see a visual similarity with symbols from their culture.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Speaking of untrained eye. Lets take a look at the results of the use of yours.
Here is the little beauty you posted earlier.
.....question.... did you mix drinking and eBay?

I mean come on! This is hideous.

You seem to be an expert at everything here lately Gator Boy. How many authentic hopewell pipes have you ever handled? What makes you think you are any better at identifying a fake hopewell pipe, from a picture no less, than the guy posting it? He admitted it was fake and you blow up a picture and jump right on the bandwagon? What's the sense in that. Please, just tell me the number of authentic hopewell pipes you have ever handled.

Hippy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufacture marks That don't match the patina Of the rest of the stone Are a big red flag on anything.
Something Hopewell Is not immune to this somehow. I can show you a bunch of fake things If that's what you would like.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And back to this fine pipe......have you found anything out from that museum? I have been hoping something has got a connection to yours.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And back to this fine pipe......have you found anything out from that museum? I have been hoping something has got a connection to yours.

Rock,

Thank you for hopefully changing the course of this thread. :icon_thumright: To answer your question, I have not. But I plan to make some time soon.

Last edited:

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
From what I've seen this pipe is clay, Mississippian, probably relating to the Southeastern Death Cult, and likely real. Not steatite and fake.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've seen this pipe is clay, Mississippian, probably relating to the Southeastern Death Cult, and likely real. Not steatite and fake.

Good eye

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very fortunate to be able to see and hold this piece shortly after Jim found it. What amazed me the most was how real it looked. I didn't know that plastic existed when this pipe was made!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread