Platinum on wetsand/surf??

leoeotw

Dec 14, 2012
Upper East Tn
Detector(s) used
BH VLF Treasure Detector, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone had any luck using the BH Platinum on anything but dry beach? I know the manual says the Ground Grab will not work for wet sand/surf but some times tricks are discovered to over come obstacles.
I am researching a new to me MD and would like one that while on vacation at the beach I can try MDing in the wet sand/surf. I realize that VLF detectors are limited on the wet sand/surf even when stable but the beach is not my normal hunting grounds. The others I am looking at are the Discovery 3300, used teknetics gamma and G2 (those last two will probably be out of my budget) and of course the Ace 250/350 and fisher F2.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Glen

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen I am sorry to tell you that detectors with only one frequency will have trouble in the wet sand or near the shallow water, but can sometimes be used if you turn down the Sensitivity a lot. Not all beaches have the same concentrations of salt nor black sand. This can vary within a few feet too.

OP
OP
leoeotw

leoeotw

Dec 14, 2012
Upper East Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman
I had read about that problem but I was hoping to get one that was stable enough to do some searching in the wet/salty stuff. I normally search in parks and school yards so I hope to find a good general purpose MD that can do the beaches on occasion. I had seen a youtube video of a guy with an ace 250 that "showed" how he used it in the surf in jewelry mode with one area notched out (can't remember which one) and it was not falsifying all over the place. The discovery 3300 was also one I had seen a youtube video of in the ocean water and was stable. now how deep it got I don't know but it was working. It has a manual ground balance on it so that is a good possibility for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 frequency is 1 frequency... The guy your talking about in the youtube video is Crackbadger a member here and one of the bets hunters out there........ He has used the Ace 250 on the beach....Yes it can be used, will it work good, not really, will it get depth, not really, do you have to turn the sensitivity way down to get it stable, yes you do and when you do you lose depth...... It is not his primariy detector for the beach, he uses an Excal....

If you only going to be at a beach 1 weekend a year then just get by with what you have, if you are going to hunt the beach often you will want a beach detector if you want to have a chance of finding much....

OP
OP
leoeotw

leoeotw

Dec 14, 2012
Upper East Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter
Your right. I might make it to Fl or SC beach 2 or 3 days a year on vacation. Right now I have a BH treaure hunter that was a present to my son years ago. I want my upgrade to be something that will at least let me try the wet stuff without driving me nuts with falsifying. That's good that crackbadger is on here because the ace 250 was really one of the first ones I wanted to get (it's nice to have a brain trust :notworthy:). But as I look at more and more I keep thinking this one or that one would be good so I end up chasing my tail and not getting anything!

Glen

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running in circles on a detector, LOL, that is part of the addicition..... I currently own 5 detectors, not a lot compared to many others, but 4 of the 5 of my detectors can be sold for about what I have in them because I bought good detectors used that hold their value, so I am not out any money... The one single one that wasn't used is a Minelab Sovereign GT I bought new so I can't get all my money back on it, but I can get 75% of it back not counting the gold and diamonds it has found....

OP
OP
leoeotw

leoeotw

Dec 14, 2012
Upper East Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter
have you ever had any issues where you needed work to a used detector? I have worried about buying used because most warranties are for the original owner only.

Glen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread